dh cranks

MacNamara22

Likes Dirt
hey rotorburners
i am looking at maby getting new cranks for my dh bike. i want to get saints but they are a bit expensive. i was wandering are fsa gravity gap cranks any good for dh, or if some one can point me in ther right direction

cheers

dhDRucer

Likes Dirt
Yes they are perfectly fine.I am getting a pair soon in anodized red so that will be sick.The are one of the lightest cranks out there adn they dont cost a months pay.I've done heaps and heaps of reading and searching and research on cranks because i am getting a pair soon and i wanted to get the best obvisously.

Find the raceface atlas are so...

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I found truvativ holzfeller to be quiet good at a very reasonable price. I bought the arms and used them with an internal raceface bb i had and never had a problem.

Im since running 09 saints which ive found to be very good also. Nice and stiff and quiet light for what they are.

Perhaps look in the for sale section here on farkin for a bargain, my mate has a set of new OCT holzfeller cranks for sale i noticed. I also think i have my old set in good nick (6months old) around somewhere too if you were interested. But id tend to buy only new or near new cranks as cranks tend to be a part that does get abused.

So id vote for holzfeller or saints as they've both been pretty flawless for me. (saints feel stiffer and stronger so they win i guess). Holzfellers i paid about $200 all up with bb, saints was around the $350 mark new.

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Although their a All Mountain Crank, i strongly recommend the SLX crank and BB. They are Light, Strong and durable. I have had mine for around 7 months, fair abusive downhilll and haven't cracked or bent them. The BB is awesome, haven't actually greased it up since i've got it and still runs super smooth.

They are like the younger brother of the Saint groupset, being a little lighter, cheaper and weaker, but not to weak.
Tom.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Don't get the standard Atlas cranks, they won't last a minute.
Race Face do two models of Atlas cranks.

"AM" for... well... all mountain or heavy trail riding.

and "FR" for... DH racing. (yeh I know... weird name huh)

Both come in all colours.

Diabolus... is for people that break everything else.

Elvis.

Last edited:

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
If you cant afford the saints what about the SLX?
I have a friend that cracked a drive side SLX crank with light street riding.

I'm not saying they won't last, just something to consider.

The 08 Saints go pretty cheap in the FS section..

garfield84

NSWMTB
don't get slx for downhill, get yourself some second hand 08 saints in the for sale section, should be able to get them for $200ish and you won't have a problem

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
don't get slx for downhill, get yourself some second hand 08 saints in the for sale section, should be able to get them for $200ish and you won't have a problem
Garfeild i ride harder than you and haven't bent mine yet. You can save weight in SLX towards heavy 08 Saint.
I have only seen one pair bend because of smashing them HARD on a large rock going balls out no brakes into a corner.
Tom.

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I might be sounding like a bit of a stock standard supporter here but I recommend truvative holzfeller. Strong for the price, I've had no trouble with mine on both the DH and the DJ (which has been on there for 5 years);)

fairy1

Banned
Holy crap I just saw the FR cranks alone for $585, go the Saints your ankles will thank you in a crash.

At least they are still made in Canada.

Autumn_Leaves

Likes Dirt
I might be sounding like a bit of a stock standard supporter here but I recommend truvative holzfeller. Strong for the price, I've had no trouble with mine on both the DH and the DJ (which has been on there for 5 years);)
Truvative howitser or oct are both excellent value for money.