DH COMP vs. BIGHIT EXPERT

BIGHIT or DH COMP

• Total voters

wags

Likes Bikes
what would u guys prefer... and for some of you that have riden both. what did u like better and why... im looking between a gaint DHCOMP '04 and a '04 BIGHIT EXPERT.

I'm looking to do a bit of freeride along with DH. i heard the DH COMPs r pigs to pedal and do drops on but havent heard much on the BiGHitS and really like the frame of a Bighit

whats your opinion

Tomas

my mum says im cool
No question in my mind. DH comp wins hands down. IMO one of the best stock frames availible. And it certinly dosnt pedal like a slug. SPV front and rear. Ive had hardtails that pedal worse.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
DH comp- nothing quite like the dramas of a 24" rear wheel on the back of a DH bike... it's fun to get hooked up on every log, rut and root! :roll:

brettly

Likes Dirt
FREERIDE > BH expert
DownHill > Giant DHcomp

I have a BH expert 04' and to be honest for value for money the DHcomp wins hands down..I L-O-V-E my bike :D ,but to get it up to DH spec several things need to be changed/added ie chainguide/chainring etc..
Ya Just Gotta Jump on 1 ...
umm...as Kranked 5 says 'B-E-R-R-E-C-L-O-T-H!!!!' :)

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
I own a Big Hit Expert and have ridden a DH comp. My impressions are that the DH comp can pedal really well, better than my Big Hit. The weight is about the same for both bikes, but the low CoG on the DH Comp is really noticeable. Also the part spec on the DH comp is the best of the two. The DH comp is totally raceable stock standard. The Big hit can be raced, but it's best to make some mods if you're really into racing. As for the 24" rear wheel, you'll hardly notice it on most tracks. The Big Hit is great for tight corners and the frame quality is superb. You also get a lifetime warranty (as long as you don't race).

What I like about the Big Hit: Great frame quality. Lots of frame tuning options. Bike can easily be modified with lots of aftermarket parts available (like a chainstays for 26" wheels and through-axle compatible) Rear travel can even be increased to 10" with appropriate mods. The bike rides well and is plenty plush. It is easy to jump and drop.

What I don't like about the Big Hit: Some cheap components, like pedals, rear hub, fork. 2-ring/bashguard combo doesn't have enough gearing for high speed pedalling. Very heavy for a free-ride bike. Interrupted seat-tube design means that you can't get a good seat height for both climbing and descending.

Comparison wwith a bigh hit with optimal parts spec: I think the DH comp is still the better bike for racing, regardless of what you put on the Big Hit. Otherwise I like the frame quality of the Big Hit better and it still rides really well.

Bottom line: If it's not just for racing, then it's still a hard call. I'd like one of each.

shift

Likes Dirt
Daver said:
DH comp- nothing quite like the dramas of a 24" rear wheel on the back of a DH bike... it's fun to get hooked up on every log, rut and root! :roll:

pull you're fucking head in
you make some of the most usless posts on this board.

wags, the 24" rear wheel issue is not going to make _THAT_ much of a difference.

ive been running one on the back for the last 2 years and havent had a single problem. im loving it!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
2nd that, i ran a 24" for a while aswell. definately not a reason not to buy a bike as its a pretty easy swap to a 26" if thats what floats your boat.

The bike geo, frame and fork are what you should be really focusing on.
Having said that, DH comp for me :D

nathan

Likes Dirt
Yeah iv ridden both and i deffinately think the DH comp rides slightly better, the big hit does feel a bit more nimble, but really for the price and what you get it cant really be beaten.

Brad

Likes Bikes
I always thought the DH Comp was a nice bike, but after all the dramas that Psycho had, I'm not so sure.
Best thing to do is ride both and see which you like better. Anyone who tells you that 24" wheels are no good, usually haven't ridden on one. They are strong, accelerate really well, and most people cant notice anything wrong with them when they ride.[/url]

mtb_man

Likes Dirt
Brad said:
...most people cant notice anything wrong with them when they ride.
Agreed, except when your cranks and chain ring grind on every log and rock you ride over due to loosing an inch of BB height.

Look how many racers run 24in wheels at an elite level... might tell you something. 24's are cool for general riding but not so great for DH. Hook a 24 up on biggish braking bumps and then tell me how cool they are for racing... :?

Getting back to bike choice, if it were up to me I'd go a DH comp due to the better parts and the 26in rear wheel. You can always swap to a 24 if you so desire. Can't swap to a 26in rear on a Big Hit...well cheaply anyway

Disco

Likes Dirt
mtb_man said:
Agreed, except when your cranks and chain ring grind on every log and rock you ride over due to loosing an inch of BB height.
Yeah sonny. Despite the fact the BB height on the bighit is taller than the DH Comp even with the 24" rear. :roll:

Little Mike

mtb_man

Likes Dirt
Disco said:
Yeah sonny. Despite the fact the BB height on the bighit is taller than the DH Comp even with the 24" rear. :roll:

Little Mike
I ain't your son, and you're half wrong too, but i do stand somewhat corrected. The Big Hit is higher but only when in the 8in travel setting.

BB heights:

DH Comp: 375mm
Big Hit Expert: 362/387mm

fiddler

Likes Dirt
I ride a 03 Bighit pro which is bascially the same as an Expert I think it is a great bike. I must clarify that I am an average Downhiller who is basically out to have fun...... I'm not a serious racer.

I'd agree with the comments about pedalling though. I have ridden a friend's DH Comp and it does pedal better. I haven't had any problems with the 24' rear wheel. My cranks do get bashed up on the rocks like other people have stated but I am running only 165mm cranks.

With regards to the BB height, I don't know why anyone would run a bike capable of 8 inches of travel with any less..... if youv'e got it use it I say. Especially for Downhilling.

I guess it comes down to what bike fits you best. For some reason I don't like the sizing of the DH Comp and I find the Bighit suits me better. But that is just me.

Brad

Likes Bikes
People only worry that a 24" wheel is no good because it is different. If you do ride on one you will realise that they are just as good as a 26". To say that braking bumps on a 24" wheel feels rougher than on a 26", is just plain stupid. I race DH and think that my Big Hit is awesome for cornering and pedaling. Have a look at a DH comp after one year of racing and feel how much more flex it has compared to a big hit.

slared

Banned
i have riden both i think the comp pedals better and is a lot plusher. PS shake a leg by AC DC is the best song ever :lol:

the DH comp is a way better bike stock than the big hit
but the big hit with a couple of upgrades like good chainguide 5TH and 888r's
it is the bomb as dazonic has done it feels great it feels good for pedaling just as good as the DH comp and rides just as good downhill but that is with the upgrades

stock is has no comparison

kranked

Likes Dirt
suppose the DH comp would be the better DH bike allthough i own a BIGhit expert and its the best allround rig around, get a chain device, new pedels and some phat tyres and u can DH it, huck it, jump it, take it for a city ride and even put the seat up, clips on and go for a trail ride.

brilliant allround bike, jnrT's are great, and 4way spv swinger is awesome.

nuff said.

ow and honestly theres been many many many discussions about the 24 inch wheel on these forums and really, if ur a very serious downhiller, probably dont get it but if u are not a pro, u aint gonna notice a huge difference, i race mine downhill and its fine. i still beat people with 26inch, its all about the rider. not much else.

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
downhill express said:
the DH comp is a way better bike stock than the big hit
but the big hit with a couple of upgrades like good chainguide 5TH and 888r's
it is the bomb as dazonic has done it feels great it feels good for pedaling just as good as the DH comp and rides just as good downhill but that is with the upgrades

stock is has no comparison
The 04 Big Hit comes with a swinger 4-way. It feels great and works extremely well. The only shock upgrade I'd consider is an avy. A 3" stroke avy with 888r's would make an awesome combo IMO.

QR rear wheel is still a bit of a shit compared to a through-axle. a 10mm bolt up might do the job though.

I agree that there's lots of room for upgrades on the Big Hit compared to the DH comp.

Also the DH comps bash guard is not too good and you'll soon end up replacing it with a better one after one good smack on a rock. I saw this happen to a mates DH comp a few weeks ago. He couldn't even recall what he hit, but the bash gaurd had rotated around until the giude wheel hit the swingarm and bent. We got it running again, but my mate wasn't too happy with it.