Derby in Tassi

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Just back from a tremendous weekend at Derby, and legs are feeling pretty smashed. Trails a whole lot of awesome as usual. If anyone is still looking for EWS accommodation both the Dorset and Commercial Hotels still have some available. Disclaimer: I've never stayed in either, and from the experiences in both public bars I'd have low expectations.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
anyone that ever came to derby and was found wanting more in the way of technical trails...make the trip back asap...the new stuff that was built for EWS is on a total new level

Nautonier

Eats Squid
anyone that ever came to derby and was found wanting more in the way of technical trails...make the trip back asap...the new stuff that was built for EWS is on a total new level
Awesome to hear, they really needed something steeper and more technical to suit 160mm bikes.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Ay that's a bit harsh. :behindsofa:

20 vs. 40mm!

*hugs his Spitfire* It'll be ok, buddy. It'll be ok. :pout:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
The EWS was just sick!!!!! Raced the challenge race on Saturday and came ninth in my class. Marshalled stage 2 at "The Crack" on Detonate Sunday, one scary piece of trail. They certainly have lifted the level of the trails out there. Stage 2 and 4 were just so hardcore in the top sections and "Trouty" was a blast!
Crack.jpg
Streddaz2.jpg
Just before I binned it lol

Binaural

Eats Squid
So I'm interested in making the trip to Derby sometime around the end of the year, and I have a few questions for those of you who've ridden there already.

1. Has anyone got any experience of how long it took to get there from Sydney?

2. Based on research so far I've worked out that the most obvious option seems to be to fly to Launceston airport and hire an estate car big enough to fit a couple of 6" bikes in boxes. Are there any reasonable public transport options that allow you to avoid having to hire a car at $160 odd a day, given the availability of local shuttles and the fact once there most trails start just out of town? The metrotas website seems to indicate there isn't anything.

3. Do you have to pay a national park fee to ride the Derby trails? This is a bit unclear when costing up the trip.

4. Are there any particularly good places to stay in town that anyone wants to recommend?

Thanks for any info you may have!

marc.r

Likes Dirt
1. 2 hours Sydney to launy
2. 1.5 hours launy to Derby
3. Renting a car like you said is a good option.
4. No you dont need to pay a fee (although you will want to pay for shuttles)
5. Not much formal accommodation in Derby but there is a lot of options on Airbnb. The town is pretty much completely dedicated to MTB tourism so they are all pretty good.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
1. 2 hours Sydney to launy
2. 1.5 hours launy to Derby
3. Renting a car like you said is a good option.
4. No you dont need to pay a fee (although you will want to pay for shuttles)
5. Not much formal accommodation in Derby but there is a lot of options on Airbnb. The town is pretty much completely dedicated to MTB tourism so they are all pretty good.
+1 for factoring in shuttles if you really want to make the most of the trip and ride everything. Unless you have many days up your sleeve you won't be pedalling up to all the tracks that are accessed many kilometres out of the township. Although who knows, you might have a significant other who doesn't ride and is happy to drive you to the trail heads all day every day :)

Also +1 for Airbnb, stayed at a place right in the township both times and it was cheap and ideal for a bike holiday.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Even the shuttles are hard work, there is a lot of pedalling involved.
Other option to get there is to look at bus services, but would depend how long you're going for (and how many of you there are...)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thanks guys, that was all really helpful!
Having done this trip myself recently with some mates, I can give you some insight.

2 of us left Sydney early Friday morning, rented a camper van from launy and drove to Derby. Set up at the camp site by the river, Bikes built, some lunch and got out for a pedal Friday arvo.
The other 2 flew from Sydney later in the arvo (Jetstar 3.30pm flight ish), they rented an SUV, and got to Derby, checked into their accommodation, built bikes and were in the pub before 8pm.

We all rode Saturday (shuttle Blued Tier and Atlas) and rode Saturday evening from the trail head.
Sunday was an early morning ride for all, with 2pm shuttles to Blackstump.....

2 others had a flight from Launy at 8pm ish, so packed the bikes away and headed off to the airport.
The other 2 drove the camper to Launy with the intention of getting on the piss...... but ended up crashing out as we were too buggered after all the epic riding.

We flew back on Monday morning....

Moral of the story, next time I go it will be a Friday arvo flight, back Sunday night. I did get some extra riding in on Friday, but at the cost of 2 days off work. Also, I'd go for accommodation over camping (even tho I love camping) as it less hassle.

The 2 that flew Fri/Sun had an epic weekend with 1/2 the hassle.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
check out the Blue Derby Website, they are trying to keep the accomodation options updated, but there was alot of new places that came online for the EWS, so there is a good stock of renovated, bike friendly houses. If your really against car hire and have a bit of a group, Vertigo can also arrange airport transfers and put together a bit of a program for you across a few days.

Want to spend a few more $$, than look into the Blue Derby Pods Ride. 4 custom build pods, and a central hub, built to incredible levels considering the location, about 200m from the base of 4 or 5 trails.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
For those thinking about going, watch this. This place is DEFINITELY worth the trip. This was my first run (blind) down a track called Flickity Sticks.
Yeah Filckity is one that gives everyone a grin at the bottom. Rode it again on the weekend. Also rode Return to Sender in the pissing rain (no so fun) then on Sunday rode Long Shadows up to the top and then down Black Stump/Shearpin/23 Stitches followed by a Kruskas loop and dropping down the EWS stage Trouty which was epic although one guy misjudged a gap jump and dislocated his AC joint.
Heading back next week with some friends from Melbourne.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
November or Jan

Trying to plan a trip to Derby, coming from WA so it's a reasonable exercise, considering November or January at this stage, coordinating with some other people.

Assuming it will be good weather in Nov for riding, Jan in Tassie not too hot?