Derby in Tassi

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah but Iron Tor is new, only built a year ago and a great ride, definitely worth the side trip from Wild Mersey just to ride the Iron Tor loop
That's good to hear. We are heading up North the day before Hobart Show day. For the past 6 years we have gone up with a group of friends for the weekend to ride and socialize. But they have all gone electric and caravaning so we are the only ones this year. We rented a 4 bedroom place so we will see if any others we know want to come up. If not, it's well priced for just 2.
We will head up by way of St Helens, then Derby for 3 nights and obligatory stop with in laws in Launceston. Then we will base ourselves for 6 nights at Turners Beach to ride and explore Latrobe, Penguin, Railton, et al.
The only thing left for me to sort out is will my ever lovin' wife drop me at the top of the Blue Tier to make my way down to Derby Via Weldborough, Atlas ect and on to Derby?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
That's good to hear. We are heading up North the day before Hobart Show day. For the past 6 years we have gone up with a group of friends for the weekend to ride and socialize. But they have all gone electric and caravaning so we are the only ones this year. We rented a 4 bedroom place so we will see if any others we know want to come up. If not, it's well priced for just 2.
We will head up by way of St Helens, then Derby for 3 nights and obligatory stop with in laws in Launceston. Then we will base ourselves for 6 nights at Turners Beach to ride and explore Latrobe, Penguin, Railton, et al.
The only thing left for me to sort out is will my ever lovin' wife drop me at the top of the Blue Tier to make my way down to Derby Via Weldborough, Atlas ect and on to Derby?
There is a great shuttle option that some of the shuttle companies offer when Blue Tier is open. You get shuttled from Derby to Blue Tier, ride the first 13km of the Bay of Fires trail, then shuttled back to Blue Tier and you ride down the Blue Tier trail, lunch at the Pub and finally shuttled to Atlas and you pedal back to Derby. Would be a solid day.

PJO

in me vL comy
There is a great shuttle option that some of the shuttle companies offer when Blue Tier is open. You get shuttled from Derby to Blue Tier, ride the first 13km of the Bay of Fires trail, then shuttled back to Blue Tier and you ride down the Blue Tier trail, lunch at the Pub and finally shuttled to Atlas and you pedal back to Derby. Would be a solid day.
I did this shuttle with MadMTB in May this year, it was a big day out! Atlas was a hard ask at the end especially the middle section where you need to put in the little efforts to maintain your speed and get over some of the obstacles. Well worth doing, only problem was that much of the first 13km of the Bay of Fires was like skating on mud. I wouldn't bother if the weather has been wet for a few days before you get there, it looks like an awesome trail and I'm busting to ride it in the dry but having no grip was fun in a different sort of way!

PJO

in me vL comy
Was up on the NW at the start of the last school holidays visiting my folks. The new Railton tracks were great fun, really enjoyed Super Hornet and Echidin'me, didn't get a chance to do Gnarvana only had one day with the family in tow which included pump track time at Goliath Park and the Iron Tor loop. Can't say enough good things about the Iron Tor descent, so many good lines and a great mix of flow and tech with a few lips thrown in for a little air time.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks. I will be in the car with my wife coming from St Helens to Derby so no need for the shuttle. I did get a shuttle up from Derby with a mate a couple of years ago and rode down to Welborough then peddled the 7 kms to the Atlas. Good fire road if not too exciting. Atlas is a blast; even when wet. Just need to work out how to get dropped and not disrupt the domestic tranquility?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
ride the first 13km of the Bay of Fires trail
The final 21km of the BOF trail is my favourite bit, that white quartz sand, monolith boulders and a million grasstrees could not be replicated anywhere. Then the view of the actual BOF from the top of the mountain before the last 6km descent, its an awesome trail, even with the 7km of fire track in the middle.

Rode the full thing twice and did a top 13km shuttle once, have had 2 big crashes on it too, though that was a fault of me and the bike.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I did this shuttle with MadMTB in May this year, it was a big day out! Atlas was a hard ask at the end especially the middle section where you need to put in the little efforts to maintain your speed and get over some of the obstacles. Well worth doing, only problem was that much of the first 13km of the Bay of Fires was like skating on mud. I wouldn't bother if the weather has been wet for a few days before you get there, it looks like an awesome trail and I'm busting to ride it in the dry but having no grip was fun in a different sort of way!
We went sometime in May as well but had an absolute ball on the 13km BOF. Uber tacky with the odd muds. I never railed berms as hard and fast as I did! Defo worth riding again when conditions are better.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Was up on the NW at the start of the last school holidays visiting my folks. The new Railton tracks were great fun, really enjoyed Super Hornet and Echidin'me, didn't get a chance to do Gnarvana only had one day with the family in tow which included pump track time at Goliath Park and the Iron Tor loop. Can't say enough good things about the Iron Tor descent, so many good lines and a great mix of flow and tech with a few lips thrown in for a little air time.
If you forced me to pick one trail loop to ride in Tassie I reckon it would be the Iron Tor. Just has a bit of everything, bike park at the bottom to session, a solid climb, great views, and a sensational mix of tech, gnar and flow descent. For mine Marcello at Next Level MTB builds the most interesting trails in the state with a really unique style.

Last edited:

Stredda

If you forced me to pick one trail loop to ride in Tassie I reckon it would be the Iron Tor. Just has a bit of everything, bike park at the bottom to session, a solid climb, great views, and a sensational mix of tech, gnar and flow descent. For mine Marcello at Next Leve MTB builds the most interesting trails in the state with a really unique style.
Yeah I agree with you there. I'm a bit biased as our club managed the Dial Range trail build but it's my style of riding and I prefer the more natural and interesting looking trails but then again there's nothing wrong with more park style stuff too. Variety is the spice of life!

jrewing

Eats Squid
Yeah I agree with you there. I'm a bit biased as our club managed the Dial Range trail build but it's my style of riding and I prefer the more natural and interesting looking trails but then again there's nothing wrong with more park style stuff too. Variety is the spice of life!
Anyone know if Dial Range would be ok to ride atm?

Stredda

I haven't ridden it in a few weeks but from what I have heard it's not too bad. The section of the Montgomery Loop between the Iron Tor start and exit is getting a bit too wet and we may need to close that part soon and the Iron Tor climb is a bit wet but I think it is manageable.
The Iron Tor Descent is great in winter so I'd bet that will be in top shape at the moment.

PJO

in me vL comy
Rode it a few weeks back and the climb was pretty slippy and muddy but rideable, the descent was still great though.
There has been a fair bit of rain up NW in the last week or so, at least that's what my folks have been complaining about...

Mattyp

Cows go boing
On Iron Tor, There's some up hill rollers about halfway down, that you come into with a bit of speed and pump through to gain elevation..whoever came up with that is a genius, it works so well.
Keen to get back there, only been down it twice but it was so good. Saw a bunch of stuff getting built at Railton too from the photos I've seen so far it looks good.
Awesome that Tassie has such a variety of tracks.

Stredda

Ok great. Does mersey deal with moisture better then?
The Latrobe trails at Warrawee Reserve do ride well in winter. The Railton and Sheffield ones in the Badgers range, we are yet to see how good they are over winter. As far as I know they are not too bad with the exception of a bit of Sheffield way which has some big puddles in a flat bit but still ridable and I would bet that Green Mile might be getting a bit to wet too.
If we get a bit of fine weather on the weekend I might check them out.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Yes its just me.. but im confused AF about the different towns and their trails in this region.

Anyone care to explain what the burlier trails are they recommend and where to park?? Bearing in mind i could get lost in a small vege garden

Stredda