Derailleur Length

mark22

Likes Dirt
I have a long cage XT Shadow + rear derailleur 2 x 10 speed with a 11-36 cassette and 36-22 up front.
Will a medium cage work OK with this setup or would it be better to stick to the Long cage?

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
I have medium cage XT + 10 speed with a 40/26 11/36 set up - works fine. Also had the same with 38/24 11/36 on the XC bike before I went 11 speed (also medium cage).
Mine has good tension through every gear selection but I think the only problem would be lack of tension if you leave it in the granny ring and try to ride in the higher gears on the rear. As I said mine will ave tension in every gear combination (even if I never use granny - higher gears, someone who rides it on the odd occasion may).

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Mediums are actually tagged in the sales stuff as being for double, although you're running a slightly larger chainring difference than normal. If you're riding a hardtail you could get away with the shorter one, but on a duallie where you need to allow for chaingrowth through the suspension travel you're safer sticking with the long one.