Derailer help

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Hi all, sorry for the sp!

My X4 derailer (yes, yes) seemed to sort of curl its self back up towards the frame and was actually pushing against the frame, so i adjusted the screw that pushes against back away against the hanger(is it? its the thickest part.), and it holds, just. Were the screw touches the hanger, it has been chipped away a bit, so some just less than half the screw is pushin back nothing.

Will i be able to get away with that or will that part need replacing. i adjusted it, just to fine tune the gears, but that didnt really make much difference. How much clearance do i need between the 8th cog and the top pulley?

Thanks for your help guys. Let me know if you want more detail. :cool:

Below: will try and get pics.

Last edited:

Spotty

Likes Dirt
003.jpg002.jpg001.jpg

The arrow is roughly were the screw should, go to hold the derailer back, but you can just see the metal, chipped on the hanger, so half the screw is exposed. Has my hanger carced t, or can i just fiddle with it to ind a good angle ofthe screw???

I fail at photos :p

Last edited:
That screw is the B tension adjust. Its hard to see in the pictures but is it no longer sitting on the little flat spot on the hanger? The screw is adjusted to the top pulley on the RD has a small gap to the cassette when you are in the largest rear cog. If this screw isn't sitting on the hanger then you'll have no spring tension.

I'd say that if your hanger is missing a bit of metal now that stops the screw sitting in the correct place then its cactus and a new one is in order.

T-Rex

Template denier
The derailleur is sitting in the wrong place, adjusting the B tension isn't going to solve that.

I think you will find that if you pull your derailleur off there is a little bent washer (every X series Sram derailleur I have seen has these, so I am assuming the X4 does) and there is a little tab that is bent 90 degrees to the washer, it needs to sit on the little flat bit on your hangar. Getting it in the right position usually requires stretching the hangar out a bit with one hand, and screwing it into the hangar with the other hand. Be careful not to cross thread the derailleur screw.

Last edited:

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Yup, thats right, thanks again t-rex. But the problem is the metal has been chipped away and rounded so the screw doesnt hold it up properly. I can get it to sit there but a slight knock, and it it goes back to where was.

Im pretty dissapointed in sram, as where the screw sits a little round out of the factory,so the whole screw doesnt cover the hanger completely. ANd as far as i know the x5 and x7 are the same set-up. I guess its off to the bike shop, for a new hanger.

Ah well, more$$$$$. oh wait, i get a freee service ;)

T-Rex

Template denier
No worries.

If that's a new bike due for it's free service, you should be able to get the shop to sort that out for you no charge, assuming the derailleur hasn't taken a hit, and from what I can see in the photos, that doesn't appear to be the case.