Deore 11 speed wide range issue

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
First experience with this drivetrain and so far it has been frustrating. Mounted on a 2017 Giant Trance for junior, and initially the derailleur was in the wrong position as the hanger was for older derailleur types with the additional knuckle, which meant that I couldn't get enough clearance for the derailleur cage with the b-screw wound all the way in. Fixed that with the updated hanger type on the left in the picture below, adjusted limit and b-screws and off riding we went. After about five kays or so the shifting went to custard. Turns out the b screw had stripped the thread on the derailleur body, so now the cage was back in a position where it interfered with the cogs in higher gears. Is this just bad luck or does much larger 51T top ring need a specific hanger type because of the additional pressure on the b-screw? Not a chain length screw up, made sure that was long enough in the initial setup.

1690250405679.jpeg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Is this 2017 Deore ? 2017 11spd Shimano was not meant to run a wide 51t. Is the cage long enough ?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
5100 or 5120 derailleur?

The original hanger (the longer one on the right) is for the Shimano "direct mount" which removes the B-link from 10- & most 11-sp. derailleurs. Using that hanger with derailleurs not designed for it (or with the B-link still fitted) will push the derailleur too far back & cause clearance problems.

There is no additional pressure on the B-screw over other derailleurs; to be a bit brutal you probably fucked the thread by cranking the screw in too far.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I'll never rule out my own fuckwittery so it's entirely possible I weakened the thread. Hopefully a helicoil and a larger screw can sort that, shame to ditch the derailleur otherwise