demo 7 to modified to downhill spec

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
i have demo 7 do you think if i modified it to a dh bike would it be close to a demo 8?
i know the frames are slightly different with the steer tube and that at different angles and shorter top tube. but that's not the point,
the point is would it work as well, would it be fine have 7.7 inch of travel instead of 8+? ect;

any help will be great.
cheers

macca21

Likes Dirt
it'll go fine mate, maybe whack a 200mm travel fork on to slacken the HA a bit maybe? although it'd go fine how it is. sure it'll never quite be a dedicated dh rig, but doesn't realy matter, it'll still go fast!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
You could always use one of those cane creek angle set headset if you wanted to change it to a more DH style angle. It should be fine, maybe look at some dual crowns (boxxers, 888's, 40's etc) and it should be a perfect dh rig. Maybe some spec wise stuff short cage derailleurs etc but I'm assuming the demo would have all of that anyway.

EDIT:
it'll go fine mate, maybe whack a 200mm travel fork on to slacken the HA a bit maybe? !
If it's already running totems then boxxers won't make any difference.

Last edited:

macca21

Likes Dirt
it will make a difference, not much i s'pose... the axle-crown height on most/if not all 200mm forks is greater so the front end will be higher and it will change HA.
make sure you have the frame on the low setting too.

Last edited:

demodv8

Likes Dirt
it will make a difference, not much i s'pose... the axle-crown height on most/if not all 200mm forks is greater so the front end will be higher and it will change HA.
make sure you have the frame on the low setting too.
If your running Totems there's hardly any difference to boxxers in height , so it would be fine . I had a Demo7 and swaped everything over to a santacruz bullit frame done a few DH races it's great fun. I would spend some money on your rear shock either get a better one or get someone to tune it to how you ride hope that helps. cheers

macca21

Likes Dirt
Totems were designed to be exactly the same height as Boxxer's, something to do with the crown
my bad....ur right mate, looks like there's only 1mm in it, i'd still get dual crown anyways.... stiffer and 20mm more travel.

Last edited:

Steepy

Likes Dirt
I've got and '07 Demo with 40's on it and it shreds, the guy I bought it off also took the plastic clip out from behind the bump-stop in the shock so it has 7.8 in the rear as well to balance out the extra travel up front.
There are quite a few guys in the local club riding Demo 7's and I don't think any of them have been happy with the performance of their Totems - Too much stiction. A couple have upgraded to 40's or Boxxers but one of the fastest guys has put secondhand 66's on his and reckons they shit all over brand new Totems .
One small change I want to make to improve the handling of my bike is to put a zero stack headset in as the front end seems a little high with the 40's on and I have to make a conscious effort to weight the front end or it tends to plow a bit through loose corners and it can sometimes feel a little unsettled at high speeds on rocky fire trails but for most of the downhill tracks around Canberra and Thredbo it feels sweet as. The only limts I have found with it so far are wth the rider ;)

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
plastic clip out from behind the bump-stop in the shock so it has 7.8 in the rear as well to balance out the extra travel up front.
i have read about that and really want to do it due to bottoming out a lot,
does any one now how to do it or would it be a better idea to get some some that will tune it and take it out?

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mate got a free 09 demo 7 for doin a jump at ippy...win??
I highly doubt it was "givien" to him as noone would give away a bike for doing a jump. Would have been more serious than that.

BTW, Demo 7's are great DH bikes when setup properly, Zerostack headset is also and advantage with some Boxxers or 40's to top it off and it will run fine.
Tom.