Defective fox sls springs. What other options are there?

SaabG

Likes Dirt
So I purchased a brand new fox sls spring from cyclinic only to find that it's so poorly made that it was rubbing against my brand new dhx2 shock. I contacted the helpful guys at cyclinic and they paid for return shipping so they can inspect the spring and work out a possible warranty claim. Ten days later the spring arrives back at cyclinic and they decide that the spring is defective and I can either get a refund or a replacement. I opt for a replacement as obviously my shock is useless without a spring only to find that all of the springs they have in 500lbs x 2.75" are as bad as the one they'd sent me. I asked for a 475lbs spring and they're all the same as well.
Now with the geo lock placed on all fox products I can't even order a spring from over seas so I effectively have an expensive paper weight sitting on my shelf in the form of a dhx2. Does anyone know of anyone other than ti-springs where I can get a light weight fox spring ASAP. It's killing me not being able to try out my new shock.
Here's a video to show just how out of whack my spring was.
https://youtu.be/A1PuEaJ23u4
I've also been in contact with another unhappy camper who has an oval shaped 500lbs fox sls spring so this is not an isolated incident. Someone needs to fire the qc at fox because between this and the EXPLODING X2 shocks I'm quickly losing faith in their brand.

teK--

Eats Squid
Geez fox can't build an air spring that doesn't explode nor a coil spring that is straight. Maybe they should stick to making dampers only and leave the springs to others.

NSD sell super alloy racing springs. pretty much a similar technology to Fox SLS.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New cane creek valt, or whatever they call it?

Not 100% that they fit fox though. Sorry.

jarrod839

Banned
I would get in contact with NS dynamics and see what they can offer you. Or jump on CRC and pickup a cheap nukeproof spring to get you by till you can get what you want.

Fox QC is pretty terrible but this is the first ive heard of the sls Springs being oval so hopefully its just a shitty batch.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Why not buy a Ti spring?

Pick yourself up a cheapo steel spring until the SLS has been replaced under warranty (what 150g max between friends). Surely Cyclinic can sort you out with something until they sort the warranty?
It takes about 2 mins to change a spring......

I went for a cheapo spring until I was happy with the spring rate, I'll go Ti when I'm 100% happy I have the right rate.

If you're in Sydney, call Simon at the Suspension Center and see if he has any ideas. Top bloke.

Last edited:

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe use freight forwarding from the US? Failing that I'm sure some kind person on here has a normal spring you can buy for cheap or even borrow till the SLS come back into non bent stock.

I've got a 350sls Spring you could borrow, but it would be running about 80% sag with your weight haha.

SaabG

Likes Dirt
@jtmofo. I'm not against getting a ti spring but I'd have to wait until late december which is to long a wait for me. Cyclinic has refunded me already as they said they can't offer me anything in the 500/475 range that's not bent.

I should mention that one of the good things about fox springs is that they fot both the 8.75x2.75 and 8.5x2.5 length shocks. This is helpful to me as I may be switching to an 8.5x2.5 shock if my 8.75x2.75 experiment doesn't work.

I'll try emailing mountainbikesdirect and see what they can do for me.

Thanks for the help fellas.

SaabG

Likes Dirt
I've ordered another spring from mtbs direct so fingers crossed. I'm a little annoyed that they don't sell the 475lbs spring but what can you do.