Decals after powdercoating?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Contemplating giving a frame some love. Undecided whether to paint in 2 pack or powdercoat. If I go the paint route, I can paint, but am not looking forward to getting it back to original with decals and then clearing until smooth where decals are.

If it gets powdercoated, I am guessing that decals wouldn't be very successful on top of powdercoat. Anyone been down this road??

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
I recently had a steel hardtail frame powdercoated and put the decals on, so far so good.

Probably depends on the quality of the powdercoat job more than anything. I had mine done by Roberto here in Brisbane and the finish was so smooth as to rival that of a painted finish. I imagine the smoother the better when it comes to applying decals, as it makes the most of the contact area available plus it stops the edges from lifting when dirt, water, etc get in under as the edge is 'sealed' better.

I was also very careful in terms of surface prep when applying the decals, always gave it a good wipe with Wax & Grease Remover to get rid of fingerprints, etc just prior to laying the decal itself down.

I was expecting some degree of orange peel in the powdercoat but there was none - his work is that good.

http://www.robertoscustompowder.com.au

You can see some photos of my experience here: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?272953-2009-Cove-Handjob-buildup-(ex-Big-Dan-frame)

Hope that helps mate.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Mine just has vinyl stickers on top of the powdercoat. Came like that from the maker. No other top coat.

But I suppose you could do the top coat with two pack because its a lower temp cure than powdercoat.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently had a steel hardtail frame powdercoated and put the decals on, so far so good.

Probably depends on the quality of the powdercoat job more than anything. I had mine done by Roberto here in Brisbane and the finish was so smooth as to rival that of a painted finish. I imagine the smoother the better when it comes to applying decals, as it makes the most of the contact area available plus it stops the edges from lifting when dirt, water, etc get in under as the edge is 'sealed' better.

I was also very careful in terms of surface prep when applying the decals, always gave it a good wipe with Wax & Grease Remover to get rid of fingerprints, etc just prior to laying the decal itself down.

Hope that helps mate.
Cheers, but I would be looking at sealing them under a clearcoat. I work in the industry with signage so know in that application anything less will be a fail.
Not sure if that is possible with powdercoat but?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can def get clear powder coat, suss it out. Good luck!
I don't fully understand the powdercoating process, but am pretty sure there is a lot of heat involved. I don't think the vinyl decals would stand up to this process.

I think I will painting in 2 pack and clearing over stickers.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
I don't fully understand the powdercoating process, but am pretty sure there is a lot of heat involved. I don't think the vinyl decals would stand up to this process.

I think I will painting in 2 pack and clearing over stickers.
Not 100% sure myself either. PPG has a clear called 'Cerami clear' It has a ceramic ingredient, that when baked, is massively hard and scratch/chip resistant. Will be pricey, but worth it. If coin is an issue, D8173 UHS clear will do an equally good job, but without the hefty price tag. Anyway, enough nerding out on paint. If you need any more deets, hit me up. Good luck!