Dealing with injury risk

smaj

Likes Dirt
Yeah but then those pesky bees will get in.
A mate (who is a roadie) bought a new, white helmet a few months ago, and has had 4 bee stings on his face since then, while riding. All we can figure is it's the colour that's attracting them :D

Scotty T

Walks the walk
A mate (who is a roadie) bought a new, white helmet a few months ago, and has had 4 bee stings on his face since then, while riding. All we can figure is it's the colour that's attracting them :D
Apparently they don't attack white as much thus bee suits are white: "White is also useful in that it reflects the sun and that it's a neutral color for bees so that they don't see beekeepers as predators."

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Then it’s obviously personal!
My wife is a beekeeper and now I am by association. They were getting a bit personal with me, had 3 get me on the head when she was checking a (neglected and quite angry) hive recently and I was standing nearby, so now I have a suit too.

It's a big bee season in Canberra, we've captured 3 swarms and a friend who is semi-professional has collected about 25.

Jpez

Down on the left!
My wife is a beekeeper and now I am by association. They were getting a bit personal with me, had 3 get me on the head when she was checking a (neglected and quite angry) hive recently and I was standing nearby, so now I have a suit too.

It's a big bee season in Canberra, we've captured 3 swarms and a friend who is semi-professional has collected about 25.
I rode past a big red gum this morning that had been chopped down and stacked along a creek and I first noticed the white honeycomb laying on the ground and within the hollow trunk. Heaps of it. Had a closer look and saw 1000’s of dead native bees. Almost as large as normal honey bees.
I presume the tree loppers sprayed them to avoid getting stung but it sucked to see an entire colony decimated like that. The comb was dripping with honey too.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I have never not worn gloves since I got my first MTB. In BMX they are compulsory as is a full face, sleeves and pants. I hate to think of the injuries to my hands had I not been wearing them on some occasions. Even in the XC racing lycra days I always wore gloves, helmet, glasses. It also blows my mind that people ride without glasses.

Mate got a bee up his nose the other week, luckily on a slow section, how to prevent? Mesh masks? :D
you could.... but all your mate needs is mesh nose filters, and maybe a mesh mouth filter if the bee or wasp tries to fly into his mouth. :D

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
So I’m going through that same life choice as you right now.

I broke my ankle back in 2013, that took ages to mend and surgery and I couldn’t walk properly for near on 18 months. I decided to stop riding downhill after that injury and figured all mountain riding is better, safer and all round good for the body.

Over the years since about 2015 I have been riding more and more, And the native bike control was always there (comfortably riding down black and double black / red grade trails) but missing a lot of the a line gap jumps and things as a “if that goes wrong it’s going to end very badly”

Anyway fast forward to the 7th of jan, I was out on my local trails, a blue grade slightly down hill track with 3 small features that I have ridden close to 400 times. I’m going slower than usual “taking it easy” next thing I know I’ve clipped a tree at the second feature, my body’s twisted off the bike, knee has landed on the tree log feature and I roll down the hill in immense pain.

Luckily I had phone reception and the Strava emergency beacon came in to its own! It took the ambos and ses 2 hours to get me out of where I was, and I was in hospital for 15 days. I had a dislocated knee, broken tibia (read shattered) and fibula. I went through 3 different surgeries to correct the damage and now my legs non weight bearing for another 6 weeks or so while the breaks heal. I also have half a hardware store of screws and plates in my leg.

So not to put a damper on the whole thread (as it had a pretty good return from injury vibe going) but laying on the ground with a dislocated knee was something I never want to repeat, let alone the 15 days in hospital away from my family- and I haven’t even started rehab yet.

I guess the point I’m making is everyone has different circumstances, for me, my body doesn’t bounce like it used to. I have a young family with 3 kids, and also work in quite a physical job. My body at the moment is too important to put through this sort of accident again. So as much as I love riding bikes, and I’ve been riding and racing bikes since I was about 10, in this case keeping my body in one piece for longer wins.

Injuries suck and they are a part of what we do, but there comes a point where the risk vs reward scale shifts too far to the risk, and completely negates the reward for riding. That’s where I’m at now.

One day I may get back on a bike to follow the kids around the bike paths, but I can’t see that happening any time soon.

Good luck with your recovery op and let us know how you go

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I broke my ankle back in 2013, that took ages to mend and surgery and I couldn’t walk properly for near on 18 months. I decided to stop riding downhill after that injury and figured all mountain riding is better, safer and all round good for the body.

Over the years since about 2015 I have been riding more and more, And the native bike control was always there (comfortably riding down black and double black / red grade trails) but missing a lot of the a line gap jumps and things as a “if that goes wrong it’s going to end very badly”

Anyway fast forward to the 7th of jan, I was out on my local trails, a blue grade slightly down hill track with 3 small features that I have ridden close to 400 times. I’m going slower than usual “taking it easy” next thing I know I’ve clipped a tree at the second feature, my body’s twisted off the bike, knee has landed on the tree log feature and I roll down the hill in immense pain.

Luckily I had phone reception and the Strava emergency beacon came in to its own! It took the ambos and ses 2 hours to get me out of where I was, and I was in hospital for 15 days. I had a dislocated knee, broken tibia (read shattered) and fibula. I went through 3 different surgeries to correct the damage and now my legs non weight bearing for another 6 weeks or so while the breaks heal. I also have half a hardware store of screws and plates in my leg.

So not to put a damper on the whole thread (as it had a pretty good return from injury vibe going) but laying on the ground with a dislocated knee was something I never want to repeat, let alone the 15 days in hospital away from my family- and I haven’t even started rehab yet.

I guess the point I’m making is everyone has different circumstances, for me, my body doesn’t bounce like it used to. I have a young family with 3 kids, and also work in quite a physical job. My body at the moment is too important to put through this sort of accident again. So as much as I love riding bikes, and I’ve been riding and racing bikes since I was about 10, in this case keeping my body in one piece for longer wins.

Injuries suck and they are a part of what we do, but there comes a point where the risk vs reward scale shifts too far to the risk, and completely negates the reward for riding. That’s where I’m at now.

One day I may get back on a bike to follow the kids around the bike paths, but I can’t see that happening any time soon.

That sucks mate, good luck with the recovery.
Sounds very similar to a bad one out at Smith's Gully recently, wasn't you was it?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve lived in the Yarra valley for just over 10 years and smiths gully has been my local trail network - kind of a hidden gem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It certainly is a hidden gem, was out there late last week :)

Terrible luck, doing such damage during that sort of riding :(
Hope you have a change of hart once you feel better and continue to enjoy it out there.
All the best with the recovery mate.

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
It certainly is a hidden gem, was out there late last week :)

Terrible luck, doing such damage during that sort of riding :(
Hope you have a change of hart once you feel better and continue to enjoy it out there.
All the best with the recovery mate.
Thanks chriso, yeah it really was a bad injury and really kind of unexpected. I think that’s what I’ve found really hard to deal with.

I may change my mind in the future as the kids get older, and I wouldn’t be opposed to getting back into it. It’s just not the right time now I think

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

That's damned unlucky, and a disproportionate injury to the speed and apparent risk of the trail.

It seems to me that you're making a smart and responsible decision.

The injury ninjas are everywhere and they really are hard to avoid. Some of my worst injuries are from slow speed and very tame riding.

Good luck with the rehabilitation process.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
This latest hit I've taken really fucking hurts and is taking longer than usual to recover from. I still can't raise my arm under its own power and my collarbone area is still swollen so much that you can't see the collarbone itself. It has only been three days though.

The problem I'm seeing is while I know I'm not getting any younger, and if I had actually broken bone it would've stranded Mrs George and the kids in the caravan park, subconsciously my brain is now thinking 'if you wanna stop me, you're gonna have to kill me'.

Seems the more I hurt, the more willing I am to get hurt. And that can not end well.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This latest hit I've taken really fucking hurts and is taking longer than usual to recover from. I still can't raise my arm under its own power and my collarbone area is still swollen so much that you can't see the collarbone itself. It has only been three days though.

The problem I'm seeing is while I know I'm not getting any younger, and if I had actually broken bone it would've stranded Mrs George and the kids in the caravan park, subconsciously my brain is now thinking 'if you wanna stop me, you're gonna have to kill me'.

Seems the more I hurt, the more willing I am to get hurt. And that can not end well.
Seems a long time to have swelling... Have you had it X-rayed/checked?