Dates for CORC's 24 Hr Races and WEMBO World Solo Champs

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Have been fielding a lot of questions about dates for the 2012 Scott 24 Hour an beyond, plus how they fit in with the WEMBO World Solo 24Hr MTB Championships. In 2013 the WEMBO Worlds and the Scott will be a week apart (like Italy is doing in 2012). This ensures we can keep the popular Red/Blue lap concept for the Scott.

So, for those of you who have been asking a lot of questions, and have a long-term view of a calendar:

WEMBO World Solo 24Hr MTB Championships
. 2012 - 19/20 May, Finale Ligure, Italy
. 2013 - 12/13 October, Canberra, Australia
. 2014 - 11/12 October, Fort William, Scotland

Scott Australian 24 Hour MTB Championships
. 2012 - 13/14 October
. 2013 - 5/6 October
. 2014 - 4/5 October

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Noticed that the 2013 races in Canberra will have the team event a week prior to the solo event, in contrast to the 2012 races in Italy. I can't really see much difference for myself, I'll just make plans as required but are there any reasons the organisers have made it this way?

Le Matelot

Noticed that the 2013 races in Canberra will have the team event a week prior to the solo event, in contrast to the 2012 races in Italy. I can't really see much difference for myself, I'll just make plans as required but are there any reasons the organisers have made it this way?
It was about venue availability, school holidays and that the World Solo Champs date had already been announced.

akashra

Eats Squid
I presume the 2013 Scott will still contain a solo component despite its close date to the WEMBO event?

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Question is whether the CORC Easter event is the Aussie Solo 24hr champs or whether the Aussie solo champs are now part of the Australian 24hr MTB CHamps (last tender document and Russ' comments about keeping the red/blue concept would seem to mean the Scott isn't the solo champs).

Its nice that we have world solo dates for the next 3 years but would be nice if we could get an Aussie solo champs date sorted... just sayin that if its the event around which you base your 'season' then it would be nice to know at the start of the year when / where it is...

:)

Le Matelot

At this stage, there is no EOI document out from MTBA for the Aussie Solo 24 Champs, so can't make any predictions.

I would think that CORC will continue to run a Solo 24 at Easter, because:
. Everyone likes it, and
. It fits in better with the World Solo Champs dates.

Noting that last point, in the past the Worlds has been too close to the Scott, so it made it hard for the Aussie champ to defend a title - it was an either/or situation. Easter fits in much better.

I would also think that CORC would use their Easter race as a qualification event for WEMBO, even if Easter was not the Aussie champs, due to the relationship between CORC and WEMBO.

I presume the 2013 Scott will still contain a solo component despite its close date to the WEMBO event?
Yes - but I suspect it would be a much less "serious" solo. Still, I can think of one rider who might try two Solo 24 hour races 1 week apart ...

Rambler

Likes Dirt
I would also think that CORC would use their Easter race as a qualification event for WEMBO, even if Easter was not the Aussie champs, due to the relationship between CORC and WEMBO.

I'm confused. On the WEMBO website it states this-

It is our aim not to restrict riders who wish to enter the WEMBO World Solo 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships. Once an entry has been paid for, it will be valid for the event. If a WEMBO World Solo 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championship event is oversubscribed, then the Race Organiser has the right to close entries before the advertised closing date.

I do agree ,however, there should be a qualification process and the nationals would be the perfect event and if that was the case, would entry into this years nationals guarantee entry into WEMBO the following year?

Last edited:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
At this stage, there is no EOI document out from MTBA for the Aussie Solo 24 Champs, so can't make any predictions.

I would think that CORC will continue to run a Solo 24 at Easter, because:
. Everyone likes it, and
. It fits in better with the World Solo Champs dates.

Noting that last point, in the past the Worlds has been too close to the Scott, so it made it hard for the Aussie champ to defend a title - it was an either/or situation. Easter fits in much better.

Yes - but I suspect it would be a much less "serious" solo. Still, I can think of one rider who might try two Solo 24 hour races 1 week apart ...
Agree with all of the above and _love_ the Easter race... what is sort of annoying (and it was the same last year) is that the Australian 24hr Solo champs should be the event that if you consider yourself a serious (ish) solo racer aim for (along with the world champs of course). It would be great if the Easter race is the 24 solo championships but it devalues the Australian champs when the race is Easter - so early enough in the year that if you wanted to race and do well you would already be putting a training plan together for it (unless you're part of the super elite few who can do 24 races and win at will!) but we still don't have even an EOI issued.

Not really good enough mtba.

If the intent is to open the 24 solo champs to an MTBA EOI process on a year to year basis (and lets face it change is sometimes good) then it would be nice to start the year knowing when the aussie champs is!

Otherwise MTBA should just but out of the process and leave it to WEMBO and 24hoa to decide who / what their qualifiers are and lets just abandon the concept of a MTBA sanctioned 24hr championships and leave it up to the various organisers...

tcp13equals2

Likes Bikes
Otherwise MTBA should just but out of the process and leave it to WEMBO and 24hoa to decide who / what their qualifiers are and lets just abandon the concept of a MTBA sanctioned 24hr championships and leave it up to the various organisers...
I think MTBA have a pretty good track record at being involved & organizing top races - they were key to getting WEMBO up and running, and in making 2010 24hoa worlds an amazing event.

Given the disaster of post 2010 24hoa Worlds, and that WEMBO is just getting going, I'd much rather have MTBA being heavily involved ...

Quite simply, Russ and the guys/girls from MTBA make things happen.

Le Matelot

Russ - Any updates on the 2013 Aust Nats as per this year (or a CORC event) set for Easter w/e 2013?
CORC's Easter Solo-Only 24 is definitely on. Its in the Canberra Centenary Program - so it must be true. The perennial question will be the status of if as the Aussie Champs, and that won't be decided until a tender document goes out from MTBA.

It will be back at Stromlo for 2013, now that Majura is turning into a highway.

CORC's Easter Solo-Only 24 is definitely on. Its in the Canberra Centenary Program - so it must be true. The perennial question will be the status of if as the Aussie Champs, and that won't be decided until a tender document goes out from MTBA.

It will be back at Stromlo for 2013, now that Majura is turning into a highway.
Thanks Russ. Shame about losing Majura, it would have been nice to have it in a different location than WEMBO 2013. Fingers crossed re: Aussie Champs status. =)

akashra

Eats Squid
I would be interested to hear a few opinions from people here on how they would feel if the Australian 24hr Chsmpionships were to be hosted on the same weekend as the Oceania championships.
Because the Oceanias are already scheduled for this weekend, for the CORC event to be awarded this status would mean this clash would occur.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I would be interested to hear a few opinions from people here on how they would feel if the Australian 24hr Chsmpionships were to be hosted on the same weekend as the Oceania championships.
Because the Oceanias are already scheduled for this weekend, for the CORC event to be awarded this status would mean this clash would occur.
Question is what's the cross-over between 24hr racing and Oceania champs (assume XCO?) Historically those looking to perform at XCO aren't racing solo 24hr. Not so say that some solo 24hr racers don't do well at the odd XCO event but still...

From memory the CORC race attracts about 100 racers or so (maybe a few more?) and there'd be few of them who would be tempted to go and race XCO... I suspect the same band of idiots (and I include myself in that category although not next year as the 'D' word has been used if I so much as think about entering for the 3rd year in a row...) will show up national champs or no...

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Question is what's the cross-over between 24hr racing and Oceania champs (assume XCO?) Historically those looking to perform at XCO aren't racing solo 24hr. Not so say that some solo 24hr racers don't do well at the odd XCO event but still...

From memory the CORC race attracts about 100 racers or so (maybe a few more?) and there'd be few of them who would be tempted to go and race XCO... I suspect the same band of idiots (and I include myself in that category although not next year as the 'D' word has been used if I so much as think about entering for the 3rd year in a row...) will show up national champs or no...
totally correct...different audience...

and your numbers are roughly correct most years lately have been bit over 100, however in 2010 it was higher bout 160 or so as for some reason people were trying to qualify for some silly event in October that year...:cheer2:

although i loved majura and still have to 'learn' to love stromlo...having the even their helps some get more aquainted to it for October....