Data storage question for computer literate folk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Surely a laptop/tablet would be a better solution instead of a phone for accessing X year old emails during meetings, calls etc. ?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If you change the sync settings on your phone to a month only, does it sync a month of emails locally to your phone and then allow access to the rest on the server?

yes.

I suffer the same issues as Johnny, need access on the road to emails going back ten years, don't want to fill up my phone with emails, and receive 300 emails a day between humans and machines (who said the internet of things was cool?)

I have the phone set to sync one week of emails, and with a properly configured Microsoft Exchange server, I can search for emails going back ~10 years, but can't view and browse all 10 years worth, the search pulls results from the exchange server to the phone as headers only, click on the subject and the email opens on the iphone and begins downloading any attachments.

If you have used the windows desktop outlook application to make folders and set server rules for email filtering, you can search in these folders form the iphone by first browsing to the folder, then pulling down the screen which reveals a search box at the top and you can search "All mailboxes" or "Current Mailbox" which helps to limit results.

If you have a login to microsoftonline.com you can set email filtering rules here too.

notime

Likes Dirt
If you change the sync settings on your phone to a month only, does it sync a month of emails locally to your phone and then allow access to the rest on the server?
We suggest this. 1 month sync and then jump into webmail if you need to go back further when on the road.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have the phone set to sync one week of emails, and with a properly configured Microsoft Exchange server, I can search for emails going back ~10 years, but can't view and browse all 10 years worth,
Does it work well enough or the searching takes almoat as long as your nezt birthday. 10 years of email is quite a haul and I've usually been made redundant before reaching half of that mark.

My pst archives are on my laptop and backup drive. I hate dicking around with LookOut, it is always some level of PITA.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Does it work well enough or the searching takes almoat as long as your nezt birthday. 10 years of email is quite a haul and I've usually been made redundant before reaching half of that mark.

My pst archives are on my laptop and backup drive. I hate dicking around with LookOut, it is always some level of PITA.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
We're using Microsoft's hosted exchange service. Takes 30 seconds to get search results going back to 2009, getting the search string correct is the key to success.

I'm up to 16 years and counting, part of the furniture now.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Surely a laptop/tablet would be a better solution instead of a phone for accessing X year old emails during meetings, calls etc. ?
Nah, I am in meetings, walking down the street, sitting on the lounge at home, sitting on the dunny, discussing stuff in hallways and more when I need to both access, read, respond and search through emails. The phone is the right tool, just need to be able to limit syncing to 6 months and the whole prob would be sorted.

We suggest this. 1 month sync and then jump into webmail if you need to go back further when on the road.
I'm often in a pretty fast moving environment and won't have time to open the browser, open webmail, log in....., etc.

A real PITA, if the phone would just let me choose the time limit for syncing all would be solved.

Will be looking at the PST files when I get time enough to do so.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you tied to the native iPhone mail app? The Gmail app will work fine with exchange based email services, will sync up to a month of emails on your phone and will search all emails on the server without the need to go to a webmail interface.

I have a huge inbox with 4 years worth of emails, I sync a month to my phone but I can still access every email in my inbox that I need to if I have to without disrupting the work flow.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Do you have a local Outlook client? If yes then a PST file can be used to store offline mail, i.e. mail stored locally which should not sync to the phone. The IT crowd may have disabled PST files in which case you have a challenge.
3. Make a backup of your .PST then clear out your account. Restore the .PST in another mail client or another account when you need to access the archives on your desktop.
This is the one I would think would be the go.
An archive folder. You can still see the emails within Outlook but they are stored on the desktop drive, not in the email folders.
PST files were the answer, thanks for the suggestion.

You'd think that an IT dept that works with Windows would have known about that option, wouldn't you? Nice guys, just not real good with things that run on electricity.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Thread DIGGGGGGG.

Cloud storage options....?

What do people use? I have a Microsoft account and a Google so they are the obvious options.

One that has come up through Jabubu-ing is Idrive which I had previously thought was a weird GT suspension thing.

Does anyone on here use Idrive?

The subscription fee for Idrive is 12 times cheaper than Google and Microsoft...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
How mission critical is it? The general backup strategy is 3-2-1. 3 copies, 2 types of media, 1 kept off site. But you have to assume that anything kept on the cloud is insecure and will need to be encrypted.

There are plenty of providers including Google, Microsoft, AWS, Dropbox, Backblaze etc etc. Will you be backing up off a NAS, desktop or a server?

I backup my photos to Microsoft OneDrive, because I get 1tb with my Office 365 account and it's easy to sync photos on my families phones as well. Everything else gets mirrored onto a NAS overnight in my storage shed and at my brother in law's house.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
How mission critical is it? The general backup strategy is 3-2-1. 3 copies, 2 types of media, 1 kept off site. But you have to assume that anything kept on the cloud is insecure and will need to be encrypted.

There are plenty of providers including Google, Microsoft, AWS, Dropbox, Backblaze etc etc. Will you be backing up off a NAS, desktop or a server?

I backup my photos to Microsoft OneDrive, because I get 1tb with my Office 365 account and it's easy to sync photos on my families phones as well. Everything else gets mirrored onto a NAS overnight in my storage shed and at my brother in law's house.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk
Mostly just photos, so it will be what is on my phone. Otherwise it would be backing up off a laptop

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Thanks guys, I spent the evening unsubscribing from all the random shopping/travel/accommodation websites I've accumulated over the years and created an email just for that shit.

But yeah have realised it's about time I got some storage sorted for photos and the like.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Not sure about the local client, will have to check.

The IT guys are nice blokes, they just don't know much about computers and how they network..., which is why making them responsible has already failed and why I'm now asking anonymous folk on internet forums unrelated to infotech!
Have you tried Whirlpool tech forums?
I would be asking there. A search there might also be useful

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I used Dropbox which mirrors the files on my drive, an external backup which handles MacOS Time Machine and Chronos backups, and Backblaze for cloud backup.

Solutions like Dropbox, iCloud or OneDrive aren't backup solutions.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I use OneDrive for my 'working' files. I keep a local copy of this on my laptop as well.

Projects that I have finished and no longer need get sent to Dropbox, local copies aren't kept. This keeps my OneDrive space manageable.

Both OneDrive and Dropbox are backed up each night to my NAS.

Once a month I make another backup of both OneDrive and Dropbox onto an external SSD that gets stored off site.

I work for myself as an egineer. An incident at the start of last year that almost went totally pear shaped forced me to get serious about data security.