AM Dan's Yeti SB66c

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

I got into MTB in February 2013 after injuring my lower back at the gym. Although the injury was relatively minor it left me unable to train legs for about 5-6 weeks so I needed an activity besides sprinting to stimulate the legs. I went to a bike shop knowing nothing at all about bikes and after some consultation about what I wanted from a bike (I only wanted to ride to and from the gym at the time) they advised me to buy a Giant Roam.

I thought they looked terrible and after browsing around the store a blue Giant Reign caught my eye. The rep kept insisting for me not to buy it because it would be way too much for what I wanted to do, but once I have my eye on something it's hard to convince me otherwise. After handing over the cash I rode around to and from the gym and thought 'this is awesome' and was really itching to check out some trails.

My first trail experience was down at Bruce Ridge as it was close to home and I wasn't too keen on throwing a dirty MTB into the back of my car with leather seats. My friend on an older model Reign showed me the ropes and raved about Stromlo. It was only a matter of time until Stromlo would become my second home.

Eventually I caught the bug of wanting to do all sort of things to the Reign, but thought it was a bit of a lost cause with its heavy frame and not being the most efficient pedalling bike. Things were aided somewhat when someone did a hit and run on my car and I needed a bit of cash to fix it up. I sold it after owning it for about 4 months and the search was on for the next steed. After searching and being off a bike for about 3 months I came across a second hand SB66c that I just had to have! Pics on what it looked like when I first picked it up:

Build Specs:

Frame: Yeti SB66C
Fork: Rockshox XX Revelation World Cup Carbon
Shock: Fox RP23 Kashima
Handlebar: Bontrager Rhythm Pro 720mm
Stem: Easton EA70mm
Seatpost: Crank Brothers Cobalt carbon post
Saddle: Bontrager Evoke
Pedals: DMR Vault
Rear Shifter: SRAM XX 2x10
Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX 2x10
Brakes: Avid/SRAM XX
Brake Rotors: 160mm/160mm
Cassette: SRAM XX
Chain: KMC
Crankset: SRAM XX 175mm 42-28
Bottom Bracket: SRAM
Hubs: Easton M1
Rims: Easton XC90
Tires: Kenda Block 8/Slant Six
Grips: ESIs
Seat clamp: Salsa QR

Build weight - 10.6kg without pedals

I rode around on this set up for a couple of months getting used to the bike and set up. One day the seat post decided to snap in half so grabbed a KS Supernatural with the under seat lever:

In January 2014 I was flying through Pork Barrel and ended up slicing the rear tyre on a rock while turning into the rock roller and with the momentum I was carrying, couldn't stop in time. As a result, I ended up having to roll down the roller with a rear flat resulting in a hairline crack in the EC90s. I kept riding on them for another three months as I could get away with being so light (66kg). I ended up picking up another set of carbon hoops laced to Chris King hubs:

After some advice, I ended up converting to clip-ins and RockShox Pikes while getting the wheels on.

Blew the RP23 before my Enduro race so an order was placed on a RockShox Monarch Plus Debonair. Love it!

Three things were slowly getting to me in the back of my mind while riding. I started to dislike the twitchiness of the 720mm/70mm bar/stem combo, the Avid brakes and the lack of a clutch rear derailleur in the Sram XX drivetrain. I felt I was holding back a little on some of the tracks, especially Pork Barrel where I had dropped the chain a few times right before some of the drop offs. After a little shopping I ended up with the following:

Mounted to a single bracket =)

I added some minor aesthetic touches and this is the end build:

Frame: Yeti SB66c
Fork: Rockshox Pike RCT3 160mm
Shock: Rockshox Monarch Plus Debonair
Handlebar: Enve Carbon DH 800mm
Stem: Syntace Megaforce 2 50mm
Seatpost: KS Supernatural under sear lever
Saddle: Bontrager Evoke
Pedals: Shimano XTR
Rear Shifter: SRAM X01 11-Spd
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X01 11-Spd
Brakes: Shimano XTR
Brake Rotors: Shimano XT Icetech 180/160
Cassette: SRAM X01 11 speed black
Chain: SRAM XX1
Crankset: SRAM X01 Black 170mm
Bottom Bracket: SRAM
Hubs: Chris King ISO with 11 speed XD driver
Rims: Enve AM
Tires: Schwable Hans Dampf Front/Maxxis Icon Rear
Grips: ODI Yeti lock-ons
Seat clamp: Salsa

Build weight - 12.7kg

Will need to take some nicer photos of it when I get the time but much rather ride it whenever I can.

UPDATE - Better photos below =)

You can find me out at Stromlo every weekend trying to hammer this thing up the hills so I can get to the fun part of going down. I think my goal for 2014 is to get this up the Fireroad of Pain!!! I never thought I would enjoy MTB as much as I really do, but it has now become quite routine and I need to get out every weekend. It's actually more demanding then I ever thought it would be and I love the enjoyment of pushing myself every weekend!

Special thanks to the boys at Bike Culture and Wil at Ollo Industries for all their help and advice!

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
awesome write up!

at the beginning I thought the bike looked 'wrong' (XX QR forks, no dropper etc) but it slowly transformed into a proper SB66 !

hows the monarch+? did you get a M/M tune? hows it riding compared to the rp23?

bikes are so much cheaper to work on than cars ey LOL

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
awesome write up!

at the beginning I thought the bike looked 'wrong' (XX QR forks, no dropper etc) but it slowly transformed into a proper SB66 !

Yeah it's a M/M tune. it's smooth. That's about as much as I could tell you. I just do my research on the parts I want and get the boys to set me up at the shop. Probably the sole reason I didn't go for a Cane Creek DB.

I was happy with the RP23 though and I wouldn't have changed that part if the pro pedal didn't break. I just ride. :)

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Yeah it's a M/M tune. it's smooth. That's about as much as I could tell you. I just do my research on the parts I want and get the boys to set me up at the shop. Probably the sole reason I didn't go for a Cane Creek DB.

I was happy with the RP23 though and I wouldn't have changed that part if the pro pedal didn't break. I just ride. :)
I love that comment.
So many people are so obsessed with their bike having to be set up so proper, and weights and so and so.

Your bike looks awesome and has an amazing spec list, well done, enjoy.

oilboy

Squid
Just when I feel happy with my bike something like this comes along :mmph:

Pretty close to the perfect bike in my opinion, and obviously yours. Nice job.

saltzzz

Likes Dirt
awesome write up!

Chops, you need a new pair of wheels and a Vivid Shock ! Go get em tiger ROOOARRRRRRRRRRR

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the kind comments.

Yeah the colour theme can be a bit in your face. I quite like it, but I'm thinking I may change it up again toward the end of the year and go a bit more subtle.

I love how timeless the frame is. It's probably one of the neatest frames around and the good thing is stickers can always be peeled off.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Yeti has turned out really nice, did chops PM you regarding a free handjob?

Good read, quite like the story ark - giant roam (potnetially) to a 10k yeti.

How the hell does a seatpole break there - you are a light weight?

How'd you hurt you back in gym (professional curiousity)?

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Yeti has turned out really nice, did chops PM you regarding a free handjob?

Good read, quite like the story ark - giant roam (potnetially) to a 10k yeti.

How the hell does a seatpole break there - you are a light weight?

How'd you hurt you back in gym (professional curiousity)?
Haha!

I was never going to buy a Roam. No way I'd be seen riding one of them!

Yeah only 66kg so seat never really had a hard life. It actually gave out when I was coasting back to the car park. No idea why, but I did read about those crank brother seats having that issue. I hated it anyway (coming off a Reign and with the luxuries of a dropper post on my first bike I hated not having one)

I tweaked my lower back pushing fatigued reps on 140kg deadlifts. I didn't think too much off it until it started having spasms while doing squats a couple of days later. It made me realise the importance of not going for last reps on those big compound movements. I also started using a foam roller to really loosen up the back muscles, which has helped a lot and I'm back to full strength.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i'd hazard a guess that the seat post clamp was probably too tight... carbon doesn't like being crushed.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
i'd hazard a guess that the seat post clamp was probably too tight... carbon doesn't like being crushed.
Yeah wouldn't surprise me since it snapped clean off where the clamp was. I'm glad that I have an OCD obsession cleaning it and learning how to maintain the bike. I have still got a lot to learn but it's a good experience to learn the basics of your bike.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
BC home of the lever Supernat :happy:
If you ever want to try a LEV I have a 30.9 335/100 demo in stock ... I'm guessing you have one of the 350/100 Supernats ? Although I'm also guessing you have an unclattered cockpit requirement ... *shrugs.

Lovely rig

teK--

Eats Squid
Sweet build mate thanks for sharing the journey.

Love the colourway it looks like the new Santa Cruz style.

It never ceases to amaze me how light SB66c can be built but still very durable.