Cyclocross-stye bike with disc mounts

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Am considering getting a new bike with some money coming my way. Forget being sensible and paying off the card or anything like that!
Right now I have a 29" MTB that's used for commuting and that's great for the job, but I want something faster... want to get some more riding done and get in road bunches again - the MTB is capable of that but there's too many compromises involved.
Before I jump to a pure road bike I'd like to explore the options of Cyclocross/touring frames. My riding style is very aggressive, I abuse bikes and have a feeling I'll probably destroy a roadie pretty quickly :eek::rolleyes:
A CX frame with disc mounts seems to make the most sense to me, allowing me to swap wheels between bikes and giving me the geometry I'd like.
There's the Salsa La Cruz, and right now that looks like it was made for my intentions! But before I make a commitment to buying it I'd like to know what else is out there...

So who else does a frameset with sharp angles and disc mounts? Doesn't have to be CX specifically, but I'd like to lean more towards the road end of the spectrum but still have decent tyre clearance.

Just for interest's sake I'd probably build it up with a hub gear and my usual random/quirky mix of practical components... There's one option that may be available later this year, have heard talk of a "sporty" commuter bike with gearbox built in to the frame, that idea has potential :cool: but may or may not eventuate, and there'll be a wait 'til I can find out info about it let alone get my hands on one.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Soma make a cyclo bike with disc mounts. SCV imports them to Australia.

If i wasnt so tired, i'd dig up all relevant info.

axertes

Likes Dirt
This thread is relevant to my interests. The bike you're describing is my perfect commuter-cum-light tourer too, and like you I only knew the Salsa La Cruz.

That Soma's pretty sexy:

If you're going a hub gear, would you install an EBB or try and source a frame with (semi) horizontal dropouts? Aren't they a pain with discs?

Will you be going Avid BB7s with drop bars?

If you do this I hope you'll make us a step-by-step kinda thread about it: I'd love to see how you build it.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Soma. It's a special order import, not stocked by SCV :eek:

Not fussed with vertical dropouts - running a chain tensioner is fine by me, in fact I prefer it in many instances as it's easier for getting wheels in/out and takes up slack if the chainring's not concentric/flat (a problem bugging me right now). Cable discs for sure, even Shimano's cheap ones can be tuned to work pretty well with a bit of effort... will also endeavour to get brake levers that are similar to STI/ergo levers in shape, pretty sure Tektro do some.

DW-1

Dirt Works
A CX frame with disc mounts seems to make the most sense to me, allowing me to swap wheels between bikes and giving me the geometry
Just for interest's sake I'd probably build it up with a hub gear and my usual random/quirky mix of practical components... There's one option that may be available later this year, have heard talk of a "sporty" commuter bike with gearbox built in to the frame, that idea has potential :cool: but may or may not eventuate, and there'll be a wait 'til I can find out info about it let alone get my hands on one.
Salsa Fargo. www.salsacycles.com/fargo09.html www.salsacycles.com/images/zoom_fargo_fm.jpg

How many commuter/tyouring bikes do you know that can roll with a 700c x 28mm tyre or a 29"(700c) x 2.4"?

Mine is getting built with a Rohloff, Schmidd front dynamo hub, Supernova lights, full fenders, 2.0 road slicks (and 2.4" off road knobs).

Check out the MTBReview thread... plenty of ideas. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=467422 (my complete build is post # 96)

Elvis.

Last edited:

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yah, the salsa is nice but...

Santa Cruz stigmata. Rocky Mountain CXD (easton frame). Norco no longer does their Ti frame which is a shame as my friends is F-ing sweet but they have replaced it with scandium frame but its ulgy yellow. Kouta has a nice cross bike but i couldnt see it on the aussie importer website (a friend reps them in canada). The Moots Psychlo-X is damn hot, it doenst have disc mounts but since it is customised I'm sure they'd do it for you. Nicest welds on any bike EVER. DeKerf is probably the olny thing close.

IMHO.... the coolest cross bike is http://www.ifbikes.com/OurBikes/Cross/Ti_Planet_Cross/

I've ridden a couple of steel planet cross bikes and they are the shiz. same deal with moots though for disc brakes. make sure you get the sterling silver headtube badge!

xero

Supersports
Brodie has a CX bike with disc mounts....

PM me if that takes your fancy, I know a dealer who has one 08 model left that he may be keen on doing a deal on, obviously size dependent

rek

Likes Dirt
Cheap arse option - buy a Kona Dew (any type, except some older base Dews don't have disc tabs), and remove all the parts. There you go, 135mm rear disc capable frame with cable holders in all the right places for a road drivetrain. The geometry ends up being very much like a road bike, but with slightly relaxed angles and a taller than normal head tube.

My current commuter is a Dew converted to drop bars/STI shifters and running Avid road disc brakes. (Note the only disc calipers compatible with road lever cable throw are the Avid BB-Road and one Shimano model number I can't remember off the top of my head) Put 26" wheels on it too, just to make it more odd.. well, more for the wider tyre options, and better toe overlap clearance with mudguards.

It can do the offroad thing too, even with the commuting slicks, racks and mudguards still attached, as I found out ;) (what else to do when you happen to spot some MTBer friends on your commute home)

Last edited:

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Somehow this seems very appropriate for b_S - an inspired cross urban bastard. :D
More bastard than anything else!

Brodie is tempting, and just found that Redline do the Conquest for cheap as well. Would much rather a frameset to build up specifically as all the parts will be stripped from a complete anyway. Unfortunately it seems 130mm rear ends are common, not a big deal really as I'll just force my MTB hubs in, but something to note anyway.
Don't know if I want to stick with steel, considering it's meant to be a replacement for a roadie maybe I should make the switch to aluminium... or even carbon, if such a thing existed :eek::D

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmm, cheap....
:confused:

Am planning to run derailleur + cassette now, not entirely sold on hub gears anymore.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Just got paid today too.
aaarrrgghhh
sorry, no.