Current wait time for Code parts from SRAM - 2-3 weeks seems a bit long

takai

Eats Squid
Ok, regarding parts, ive just called around a few bike shops to see if i can find a couple of the little ball clips for my Codes (part number 11.5215.017.000 or 11.5415.013.000 if there are any other bike shops reading) and both have quoted me a 2-3 week lead time from SRAM on the part.

A few days i can understand, 2-3 weeks is a bit ridiculous, as that is easily past Christmas, and will probably blow out into the first couple of weeks of next year.

Is this a usual lead time from SRAM or does it sounds a bit long? Bear in mind its not just one bike shop which has quoted me this, its up to 4 shops now.

Disco

Likes Dirt
Its a pain in the ass. Most distributors will close between christmas and new years, so they generally wind down coming up to christmas, and dont start placing comprehensive orders from the manufacturer until into the new year.

:cool:

takai

Eats Squid
So its not really unusual then.
Might just go and buy some Saints to tide me over and then sell off which ever set i like less.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could get the parts faster than that from an O/S online seller.
Why not give it a go? They're small and shouldn't cost a bundle to replace.
I haven't looked, but try the US sites (Jenson USA, PricePoint, Cambria Bike and Universal Cycles come to mind) and see if they've got stock.

floody

Wheel size expert
Buy the parts from SRAM's other distributor? Oh wait, you can't.

Its a business, they can't always have every part for every brake in stock at every moment.

Oh and if other years are anything to go by, yeah they'll be shut for a good week into new year.

Its a pain, but thats life in the antipodes.

takai

Eats Squid
You could get the parts faster than that from an O/S online seller.
Why not give it a go? They're small and shouldn't cost a bundle to replace.
I haven't looked, but try the US sites (Jenson USA, PricePoint, Cambria Bike and Universal Cycles come to mind) and see if they've got stock.
Cant find anyone else who will do just the service kits alone for the lever. But if the caliper kits are anything to go by they cost double or even 4x what they cost here. Last caliper kit was AU$25, and Wiggle lists them as GBP48.

Buy the parts from SRAM's other distributor? Oh wait, you can't.

Its a business, they can't always have every part for every brake in stock at every moment.

Oh and if other years are anything to go by, yeah they'll be shut for a good week into new year.

Its a pain, but thats life in the antipodes.
According to the LBS they have htem in stock... just takes them ages to ship it out the door.

floody

Wheel size expert
Thats a different story, 3 weeks to ship parts out of their warehouse? Sounds a bit odd to me. When I worked in Ballarat, if we ordered by 10am we'd have our stock by 3pm (direct courier from Monza in Melbourne). Even in Tassie we rarely see more than a 2-3 day lead time.
Normally they're very efficient with stocked items.

takai

Eats Squid
Ohwell, ordered bits from CRC anyway. I had some other things to order, so i just added a set of Saints.

Impulse buy ftw.

takai

Eats Squid
Sounds more like you wanted Saints than to fix the Codes :D
Nah, more like i actually want to go for a ride before the middle of Jan. Placed the order for the code rebuild kits as well.
Everyone has been raving about Saints, so i may as well try them out. Sell off which ever set i like less.

chris95

Likes Dirt
Nah, more like i actually want to go for a ride before the middle of Jan. Placed the order for the code rebuild kits as well.
Everyone has been raving about Saints, so i may as well try them out. Sell off which ever set i like less.
Sounds Like your loaded:eek:

Matt H

Eats Squid
When I worked in Ballarat, if we ordered by 10am we'd have our stock by 3pm (direct courier from Monza in Melbourne).
As someone who works in the industry up here... that scenario sounds like some kind of fantasy... :eek: