Cube

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dunno - it's a bike. What's your budget? Where do you ride?
Budget is about $3k but this is $3400 and just looks like a good buy for new, I just haven't seen any of them around.
I was planning to build up a 27.5 but it's hard to find a good frame I liked and this seemed like a good deal and spec.
I ride Gap Creek and Samford mainly, dont race, and only ride up to enjoy the downs.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Well for those requirements the Cube spec looks great. You've been keeping an eye for used bikes here yeah?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well for those requirements the Cube spec looks great. You've been keeping an eye for used bikes here yeah?
Yeh been looking everywhere but it's hard to find anything through all the Giants for sale. I am not in a rush so will see what comes along.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Also check out commencal, their trailbike is pretty awesome. Meta tr I believe.

Anything wrong with a trance? Also great bikes and lifetime warranty on frame,

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

Giant's are so hard to beat with the quality of kit you get on them for the price point. If you can stretch the budget to the $3500 mark you start getting really good options with SLX, Stiff fork chassis and droppers in the single package.
Commencal's are just way sexier though, and the Meta TR should be on the list if you're after a replacement to an older Remedy.

moorey

call me Mia
To be fair, the ‘well priced giants’ hide some utter shit and in-house parts on their builds. S/H, they are hard to beat though, and ride well. Just put a mate on a 2015 Trance advanced with new pikes and saint brakes for $1500.

There’s a sweet AF spitfire on here for around $2000. That’s a killer bike, and awesome value.

Ultra Lord

This is true, but all $3500 bikes hide shit parts. The OEM rear hub is trash, and the giant dropper will only last a season of riding. But, you get a good frame and suspension, the bars and stem aren’t terrible quality etc.
Theres always going to be compromises with budget bikes.

moorey

call me Mia
Wheels are awful, brakes tend to be, and all the ‘contact’ gear is very average. The fork tends to be good looking, but bottom model.
$3500 doesn’t buy a lot, you’re right, I just disagree that it buys more that a few other brands out there. Their reputation for bang for buck is overrated, and a thing of the past...in my opinion.
Second hand though... hard to go past for value, due to their proliferation.

Ultra Lord

Stiffer chassis or better dampner? Pick a colour imo, both will be sweeeeeeet.
If I didn’t have a scout I’d be riding one of these for sure. Such hard hitting short travel bikes.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
TBH, I prefer the look of the Cube the OP posted. Carbon main frame, comes with dropper, serviceable brakes...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
That's true - although is the Cube available locally?

I think I've seen them on CRC largely.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My giant comment was mainly about there being so many for sale secondhand not about their quality. I dont mind them but them but was wanting to go something a bit different and the cube seemed like great value. I had a look at canyon, yt, and commencals which are all pretty nice but didnt think they were of the same bang for buck as the cube. What got me interested in the cubes was how cheap their carbon frames are from the Germans but they dont ship them to Aus....