Creaking XO1 cassette - anyone else have this

ming

Likes Bikes
I have an XO1 cassette with 7000km on it, still running fine. However, it is starting to make really annoying creaking / squeaking sounds.

The creaking goes away when I clean and lubricate the outside end of the locking cylinder, where the tabs hook on to the 10T part of the cassette. A few rides later it is back...
If I take the wheel off and push on the 42T cog I can see a bit of movement at the 10T end.
I suspect that the splines and/or cassette end have worn a little, so now there is movement.

Looking at the picture below, I am not sure if the locking cylinder clamps the 42T ring or the 10T ring.

I don't know if it is related, but when installing the cassette onto the hub I can turn the lock cylinder 2 full turns really easily (using lockring tool in my fingers), but then it is quite hard to turn and I have to push hard of the socket wrench for the next 3 turns.

Has anyone else had annoying creaking from their XO1 / XX1 cassette?

SRAM_XX1_SF_MG_2009.jpg

Ming

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do the threads on the cassette and hub?
7k is a decent life for a cassette, let alone a MTB one...

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just searched and 42t looks like its the same as the XX1 cassette

try removing the 42T with a screwdriver, by prying it off

then put grease or anti-seize on the tabs that join the 42T to the rest of the cassette

put 42T back on cassette

the noise sometime occurs between the interface of the cassette and 42T cog

hopw this makes sense

ming

Likes Bikes
I did clean the cassette really well, and sprayed teflon lube into the tabs between the 42T and the rest; not much change.
I will try pulling the cassette apart and see if I can clean all the parts really well.

The threads all look and feel really good, no reason there for the locking cylinder to bind.

I rotated two chains for the first 5000km, now on a third one. Cleaning with a rag after every ride, and with a hose if really dusty. Lube using Squirt dry lube (Canberra is usually dry).

Looks like I will have to keep an eye out for a sale on XO1 cassettes. Should have bought one when the dollar was good...

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't have creaking yet - but a related question; On my XD driver when the cassette is removed, there is another cassette like tool that you can tighten up - what does it do?

ming

Likes Bikes
I don't have creaking yet - but a related question; On my XD driver when the cassette is removed, there is another cassette like tool that you can tighten up - what does it do?
It must be part of the hub. Pictures or make/model ?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I did clean the cassette really well, and sprayed teflon lube into the tabs between the 42T and the rest; not much change.
I will try pulling the cassette apart and see if I can clean all the parts really well.

The threads all look and feel really good, no reason there for the locking cylinder to bind.

I rotated two chains for the first 5000km, now on a third one. Cleaning with a rag after every ride, and with a hose if really dusty. Lube using Squirt dry lube (Canberra is usually dry).

Looks like I will have to keep an eye out for a sale on XO1 cassettes. Should have bought one when the dollar was good...
Before you mount your XD cassette onto your freebub, make sure you grease the spline, the thread and the front lip of the freehub. This will avoid a REALLY irritating creak 100km later. Make sure you use a torque wrench and torque to 40Nm as well.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Link, the only people with torque wrenches at 40nm are mtbr and rotorburn geeks. 40Nm is technically called fucking tight, anything more detailed requires a water based lubricant and a box of tissues

stirk

Burner
Link, the only people with torque wrenches at 40nm are mtbr and rotorburn geeks. 40Nm is technically called fucking tight, anything more detailed requires a water based lubricant and a box of tissues
Link has a new reverse pressure machine to blow his brain, total geek he is.

When I build Lego I follow instructions, although nip it up seems to work for cassette lock ring also.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Its tight, but that is the spec. Initially with my xx1 cassette I wasn't doing it up to 40nm or lubing the xd driver body properly and had a creaking nightmare.