Crappy hubs be crappy...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So to keep the spendy vaguely under control when building the Orange, I just got the wheels from them and bought their own brand basic wheels. A no name taiwanese hub.

Just put new bearings through the rear hub as the freewheel ones were toast. One out the 4 (!) bearings on the free hub had cracked, and the wheel bearings were rough...

This is where it gets weird. I bought up 70 bucks worth of nice NSK japanese bearings for it, and pressed them all in - and theyre still rough as guts. wtf? And the old wheel bearings felt fine out of the hub...

I'm thinking the bores are not altogether in line with each other and the bearings are slightly askew. The wheel bearings in particular were a real count to get in straight too, the bore felt a bit undersize and way too much effort was required to get them in.

Did the same job on the DT Swiss hubs on the Trance a while back and it was easy peasy. And smoooooooth.

Oh well, its back together at last with all new bearings and not feeling all that much better :( I'll ride it until it drops and then I see some Hopes in my future. Its probably about time the Orange had some Hope bits anyway.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
How easily does the axle slide in? Test out of the frame. If the axle fits easily and then wheel spins sweetly look at drop-out alignment and/or axle tension. I had the same with the Hope rear on the Muru. One bearing was stuffed but replaced all (5 or 6?) And they were wonderful but once in the frame crunchy. Dropped the derailleur off and noticed the axle was being skewed by the drop-outs. Not sure what to do with a Ti frame I tried brute force over ignorance and it was fixed. Probably what killed the original bearing.

Haakon

How easily does the axle slide in? Test out of the frame. If the axle fits easily and then wheel spins sweetly look at drop-out alignment and/or axle tension. I had the same with the Hope rear on the Muru. One bearing was stuffed but replaced all (5 or 6?) And they were wonderful but once in the frame crunchy. Dropped the derailleur off and noticed the axle was being skewed by the drop-outs. Not sure what to do with a Ti frame I tried brute force over ignorance and it was fixed. Probably what killed the original bearing.
Fair point, ill see if they come good in the frame. Im just spinning it with a finger in each end of the axle and feeling the grinding...

Haakon

I did notice the bigger cogs on the cassette are a bit wonky. Either a Shimano cassette is not quite straight, or the freehub is off.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
When the axle is in the bearings the inner races are lined up. If it spins nicely then the bearings are ok and you didn't fuck it up. Put the wheel in and spin it with the bike on a stand. If the bearings are crunchy due to misalignment then you will feel the vibration in the frame. Spinning the wheel between fingers wont prove anything.

Haakon

Seems putting it in the frame closed up all the bearings and made them stiff and grinding. I can feel the vibration of the crunchy bearings in the frame after all... Sigh.

This is partly my fault, getting a bearing jammed on an angle by being careless - thats marked the bore up and i think is now tighter than it should be on the bearing. But the bearings were stiff and grinding before i pulled it apart... Anyhoo, I'll bin it. And remind myself how to lace a wheel up.

Is a discount Hope the best, or are these any "decent" budget options around these days? I used some Novatec on Kirsty's mixte build and they seemed nice, but they live a gentle life on that bike. Dont really want to spend 4-500 on a hub.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Novatec, Stans, Nukeproof are all pretty budget and ok.

Bro in law has Nukeproof hubs on his bike and he is not a light or gentle rider, and he is somewhat slack in maintenance.
Might not be easy to get well priced NP now though.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Seems putting it in the frame closed up all the bearings and made them stiff and grinding. I can feel the vibration of the crunchy bearings in the frame after all... Sigh.

This is partly my fault, getting a bearing jammed on an angle by being careless - thats marked the bore up and i think is now tighter than it should be on the bearing. But the bearings were stiff and grinding before i pulled it apart... Anyhoo, I'll bin it. And remind myself how to lace a wheel up.

Is a discount Hope the best, or are these any "decent" budget options around these days? I used some Novatec on Kirsty's mixte build and they seemed nice, but they live a gentle life on that bike. Dont really want to spend 4-500 on a hub.
Hunt wheels are a good 'affordable' option. Having said that, Nukeproof would have been top of my list if CRC didn't implode

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Anyhoo, the Orange customer support bloke suggested they could sell me some discount Hopes... I'll see how these go for now, but might press them on that!
This is a pretty nice option.

Or there's this:

Jpez

Down on the left!
What about these?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Hope is life.

/thread

Haakon

What about these?
A little beaten up. Also want black... Also microspline.

Haakon

This is a pretty nice option.

Or there's this:
Orange offered me a new Pro 5 for a bit less than that. Felt exxy when they first offered, am rethinking that now I've seen what their retail is!