Crankwox Wrap Up

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Courtesy of Pinkbike.com

This past weekend was a busy one for Whistler Bike Park as there were events happening all over the mountain. Lopes and Kintner win the Giant Slalom on Friday, then Lopes and Griffiths win the Enduro while Greg Watts wins the Slopestyle and Andreu Lacondeguy wins best trick. On Sunday Sam Hill and Emmeline Ragot won the Canadian Open DH event.

Learn more inside,
Brian Lopes kills it again at Giant Slalom, Presented by Giant Bicycles. Jill Kintner Also Adds More Gold To Her Pot

Photo by faultlinemediagroup.pinkbike.com

Everyone was gunning for him but that may be the secret to Brian Lopes’s success. After taking second in last Saturday’s Dual Slalom, Lopes had something to prove and came in fast and strong to claim his position at the top with Jared Rando of Australia taking second place and Johannes Fischbach of Germany coming in third fastest overall.

“The kids are getting faster, but for me it is harder to lose than it is to pedal harder and train harder,” says Lopes after his win.

American Jill Kintner easily held her own against the Pro Women’s field with an aggressive and smooth approach to the winding course. She placed first, Emmeline Ragot of France took second; and Leigh Donovan of USA took third.

Photo by courtneywylie.pinkbike.com

“I wasn’t making any mistakes and I just kept it fast and smooth,” says Kintner. “Events at Kokanee Crankworx set the standard and it is one of my favourite places to come and ride as well as compete.” Kintner, who took bronze in BMX racing at the sport’s debut at the Beijing 2008 Summer Games, also claimed first in last Saturday’s Dual Slalom event; establishing her as the woman to beat today.

Shaun Palmer, multi X-Game gold medalist and DH World Cup Champion had a strong showing and was a crowd favourite, but didn’t podium.

The Giant Slalom course was rebuilt this season by John Cowan and took the racers on a winding tour through the Boneyard’s slopestyle features. Giant Slalom courses are longer than standard slalom courses and feature tighter corners, airs and berms.

The relentless Brian Lopes Hauls off with Canadian Open Enduro win. Fionn Griffiths Rallies Hard To Come Out On Top.

The Canadian Open Enduro lived up to its name as the toughest competition of the week for both pro’s and amateurs. The emerging event concept put some of the world’s best downhill, freeride and cross country riders through the paces with a grueling top to bottom race in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park.

Brian Lopes proved his supremacy with yet another win on the Kokanee Crankworx stage; he was the only rider to finish in less than 20 minutes and took first in the Pro Men category against Whistler locals Matt Ryan in second and Chris Johnston in third overcoming an early charge by Whistler’s Richie Schley.

“I spent a pretty sleepless night trying to figure out how to stay on Brian’s wheel,” says Matt Ryan, who played a role in the design of the course route. “Brian showcased some amazing riding out there.”

Fionn Griffiths, of Great Britain, took first place in the Pro Women’s category but it was a battle hard won. She rode a full downhill rig, the Norco Team DH, but despite having put a cross country cassette on to assist with the uphill sections, they were a struggle.

“I haven’t done a race like this and it required a lot of endurance,” says Griffiths. “It was not fun while I was doing it, I was yelling at myself all the way down like a crazy person. There was one bit when we came around a tight corner and there was a huge hill I wasn’t expecting. My legs just died, I had to get off and walk for 45 seconds. Three people passed me but I was able to pick them off on the downhill sections and get to the bottom first.”

Griffiths placed first with Melissa Buhl of the USA coming in second and Emmeline Ragot of France placing third.

The Canadian Open Enduro was a new event for Kokanee Crankworx and was designed to be the ultimate all-mountain challenge where gravity alternatively helped and hindered the racer. The top racers proved there has to be a complete package of skills and fitness to rule the Enduro. In developing the course, significant input from some of the world’s best cross country, freeride, downhill and Enduro riders was taken.

The Canadian Open Enduro was a one run, mass start race based on individual categories and as expected, downhillers mixed it up with cross country riders. The course began at the top of the Garbanzo Zone starting with a short lap around the Chic Pea Lodge and then a high speed peddling section into a single track descent. Overall, the course dropped a total of 3,800 feet with 400 feet of climbing interspersed, differentiating the race from traditional downhill events.

Greg Watts is a machine winning $15000 and top spot in the Monster Energy Slopestyle at Kokanee Crankworx 2009.

Andreu Lacondeguy Throws Down Claiming $6,000 For VW Best Trick Award

The Monster Energy Slopestyle including the VW Best Trick Award had over 20,000 screaming spectators on hand to witness greatness take place in the Boneyard Slopestyle course at Kokanee Crankworx 2009.

This year’s Monster Energy Slopestyle course was designed by John Cowan and was built to perfection for the slopestyle event. “I’m stoked on the course this year,” says Colin Duncan, Head Slopestyle Judge. “It keeps everyone on one line but with options. What we are seeing today is the most advanced freestyle riding in mountain biking and the riders are out there supporting each other to push the sport.”

First place in the Monster Energy Slopestyle and $15,000 went to Greg Watts with a score of 96.00; second place and $7,500 went to Whistler’s own Brandon Semenuk with a score of 95.25, while third place and $3,000 went to Martin Soderstrom with a score of 90.75.

Photo by geoffjansenphoto.pinkbike.com

“Whistler is the greatest place ever,” says Watts. “I came into slopestyle thinking I could win it but I didn't really believe it would happen.”

“I’ve been learning flip whips and am stoked to get one in today,” says Semenuk. “It’s cool to be competing in Whistler, I can hear the crowd going crazy on the course.”

Greg Watts’s winning run consisted of a mind-numbing list of tricks, starting with a 360 tail-whip off the drop in; Superman seat grab over the first jump; back flip on, to 360 off the Giro box; tail whip off the Kona wall; truck driver off the SRAM feature; bar spin off the Race Face drop; flip whip over the VW dirt jump; finishing with a step up, to back flip off the Kokanee Kicker into the finish corral.

The VW Best Trick Award went to last year’s slopestyle winner Andreu Lacondeguy. After stopping mid-course to eye up the VW Dirt jump, Andreu stomped a huge 360 flat spin Superman, taking home $6,000 for his efforts. “I had the idea to do the trick but thought it might be a bit windy,” says Lacondeguy. “I didn’t know that it would work, but I guess it did.”

Photos by geoffjansenphoto.pinkbike.com

Sam Hill and Emmeline Ragot take top spots in Canadian Open Downhill presented by Kona on final day at Kokanee Crankworx 2009

Jerome David Receives Richard Juryn Memorial Award Recognizing Dedication And Passion For The Sport Of Mountain Biking

The Canadian Open Downhill presented by Kona went off today, taking over the Whistler Mountain Bike Park. The final event of Kokanee Crankworx 2009 saw nearly 300 riders take part in the race. Each rider had one run to clock their best time on a newly redesigned, very challenging and burly DH course.

The Canadian Open DH course, designed by pro mountain biker Tyler Morland, is a technical and fast course with big gap jumps and steep drops, testing the riders’ skill level from top to bottom. “The track dried out and riders had to push hard,” says Stacey Kohut, announcer and DH racer. ”It was a bit loose which usually means very fast.”

Photo by dave-m.pinkbike.com

“Crankworx is amazing, I love it,” says Sam Hill, 2009 Canadian Open DH presented by Kona champ. “I had to push it on this track, it was pretty loose but fast. It’s great to see my teammate Brendan come second as well.”

In the Pro Men category, Sam Hill(AUS) took first place for the second year in a row with a time of 3:02.56; Brendan Fairclough(GBR) took second place with a time of 3:10.73; Steve Smith(CAN) took third place with a time of 3:11.77 and Joshua Button(AUS) took fourth place with a time of 3:12.00.

“This is a good track, just like the world cup tracks,” says Emmilene Ragot Canadian Open DH Pro Women champ. “I have raced all week so I was a little tired, but I’m really happy to win.”

In the Pro Women category, Emmeline Ragot(FRA) took first place with a time of 3:45.05; second place went to Micayla Gatto(CAN) with a time of 3:47.06; third place went to Clair Buchar(CAN) with a time of 3:52.99 and fourth place went to Danice Uyesugi(CAN) with a time of 4:06.48.

Introduced in 2008, the 2009 Richard Juryn Memorial Award celebrating passion, dedication and enthusiasm for the sport of mountain biking was awarded to Jerome David. “Jerome dedicates his time to WORCA; volunteering; working as a patroller in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park and competes in Kokanee Crankworx, he definitely deserves this award,” says Seb Fremont, Operational Manager for Kokanee Crankworx.

“This is awesome; I’m very appreciative of the award," says Jerome, with a smile on his face. "I like to do stuff, not talk about it, so all I can say is get out there and ride!”

The Canadian Open DH presented by Kona and the Richard Juryn Award marked the final day of the nine day Kokanee Crankworx 2009 festival. For more detailed results and event information please visit www.Crankworx.com.

Australian Results for Canadian Open...

Pro Men

1. Sam Hill 3:02.56 +0.00
2. Brendan Fairclough 3:10.73 +8.17
3. Steve Smith 3:11.77 +9.21
4. Joshua Button 3:12.00 +9.44
5. Neko Mulally 3:14.59 +12.03

11. Chris Kovarik 3:16.40 +13.84
26. Samuel Hocken 3:25.58 +23.02
29. Harry Armstrong 3:28.28 +25.72
34. Dylan Prohm 3:28.98 +26.42
40. Mitch Delfs 3:30.85 +28.29
41. Luke Garnham 3:31.53 +28.97
52. Ryan De La Rue 3:39.70 +37.14
57. Brett Pengelley 3:51.97 +49.41
59. Berend Boer 3:56.99 +54.43

Junior Men

1. Troy Brosnan 3:16.00 +0.00
13. Antony Moore 3:38.76 +22.76
15. Daniel Lavis 3:39.06 +23.06
25. Ryan Hunt 4:02.52 +46.52

Masters Men

1. Karl Peel 3:33.77 +0.00
3. Chris Dimbill 3:37.80 +4.03

Senior Men

36. Sam Collins 5:33.23 +2:06.89

Tye

Likes Dirt
Very big well done to Joshy B and Ryan Hunt. They both killed it.
EDIT: And ofcourse all the other aussies

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sam hill going 8 seconds faster than 2nd place on that track is crazy. what a machine.

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that a Kona Shonky that Lacondeguy's riding?

Looks f*ckin tidy if it is, seems like Kona's stepping their game up.