Cracked 29er rim - Stans pulling shenanigans?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
So a mate of mine has had an issue with one of his 29er rims. A circumferential crack appeared all the way round his rear rim (Stans ZTR), running through the centre of the inside wall. Unfortunately I don't have pics and haven't seen it myself as he sent it off to be replaced under warranty as soon as he noticed.

Anyway, Stans Australia initially agreed to replace however Stans US have said nope - not claimable under warranty and that the crack was caused by over inflating the tires.

Now, that sounds like bullshit to me - For a starter, old mate claims not have inflated above 30 - 35 psi (I trust him) and I think the recommended max pressure is 45psi/
Secondly I would imagine any failure due to over-pressure would happen at the tyre bead and/or any seals first.

thirdly, given they have no other data than photos from the Australian supplier, they can't possibly claim to know exactly what caused the damage without proper investigation. I'll admit that extent of the crack (all the way around) could indicate over-pressure but it also heavily suggests a manufacturing defect.

So, is this a common complaint with Stans rims? or 29er rims in general? Has this happened to anyone else?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I blew the tyre clean off my 26" Flow Ex inflating it to 60 psi. Blew the Hope freehub off as well, complete with cassette and end cap. No crack, all good except for my undies.

stirk

Burner
I blew the tyre clean off my 26" Flow Ex inflating it to 60 psi. Blew the Hope freehub off as well, complete with cassette and end cap. No crack, all good except for my undies.
Not entirely true there was some crack involved.

What you say is plausible, under the stress a rim goes through one would expect the rubber tyre to give first, unless the tyre was a wire bead perhaps or even massive tension on the spokes?!.!?.

Where are the myth busters when you need them.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Rim bed failure. I've managed this but not with a Stan's - a flyweight Alex Supercomp. It's apparently due more to under inflation, lightweight tyres and a Clydesdale attitude in conjunction with lightweight rims. Certainly was the case with mine.

Personally, I'd write it off as a way to continue bagging Stan's for over priced, average but well marketed rims. Wins all around.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
If it's had a reasonable amount of use in that year I'd say the failure isn't a manufacturing defect.