CORC Enduro - July 20 (now with st1 video)

Klips

Likes Dirt
http://www.corc.asn.au/event/gravity-enduro/

4 downhill sections with 30 minutes between.

$50 plus $20 MTBA day license should you need it.

I've been speculating on how you'd run 4 routes without overlaps. Current theory is this:
  • Wedgetail(?) / Pork barrel or slick rock / double dissolution
  • Rollercoaster (?) / Skyline / Northern express / little seymour (?) / Breakout(?)
  • Downhill track
  • Luge from under the shipping container/ Duffy to the bottom

Question marks are:
Wedgetail - would you run it from the top or from where it crosses the fire trail after casuarina - likely the latter, or just run it from the top of pork barrel.
Rollercoaster - note sure if you'd bother or not, however it prevents staging conflicts between that and slick rock or pork barrel, plus it gives two routes up the hill (either the trunk climb or casuarina then the fire trail the crosses wedgetail
Little Seymour / Breakout - just not sure where you'd go from here. You'd end up with people almost needing to climb heartbreaker to get up to the top if they haven't already done all three from the top and make it in time.

Any theories?

EDIT: Stage 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cApYwuVyZ6Q

Last edited:

horsey

Likes Dirt
Isn't really an Enduro event if you tell everyone the course 3 weeks in advance. Recommendation is to randomly interlink different trails and be creative - and don't tell anyone until the event officially starts!

ideas...
sections of descending single track linked by short steep uphill fire road bursts - breaks up the flow for people who know the trails too well
some of the technical single track climbs backwards (if allowed to) - less bikepark and more technical descending

Klips

Likes Dirt
Isn't really an Enduro event if you tell everyone the course 3 weeks in advance. Recommendation is to randomly interlink different trails and be creative - and don't tell anyone until the event officially starts!

ideas...
sections of descending single track linked by short steep uphill fire road bursts - breaks up the flow for people who know the trails too well
some of the technical single track climbs backwards (if allowed to) - less bikepark and more technical descending
Oh, I'm just idly speculating - I've never raced anything except the Mont before so this will be a baptism of fire (should I not chicken out, having not even laid eyes on the top of the downhill course)

There's certainly some room to do trails backwards, I would love to do the trunk climb backwards but sadly I think it'll be needed to get to the top!

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I like speculation #2... OR! heartbreaker in reverse -> northside express and so on... now that would be a hoot!

The flow traily bit of the DH track is allright.. just watch your step at the top rock and check yourself at the rock garden :) The bottom part from the container... now THAT looks hairy!

I'm liking this four run thing, super keen to see how it pans out..

SaabG

Likes Dirt
Isn't really an Enduro event if you tell everyone the course 3 weeks in advance. Recommendation is to randomly interlink different trails and be creative - and don't tell anyone until the event officially starts.
Pretty dangerous sending people off to race a track they don't know to well don't you think?

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The course for EWS #4 has been released a couple of days out. If the pros can then surely a club event can. For safety we always let the tracks be known one or two weeks out. It helps bed in the trails, which helps when we have a lot of competitors that do our races as there first ever race.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Pretty dangerous sending people off to race a track they don't know to well don't you think?
well... no... plenty of folks turn up and race trails onsight, even gravity enduros. ...and it takes away some of the local advantage if trails are recombined in unusual ways.

if you're turning up to race, you still have to know your limits. if you're turning up to race gravity enduro, you know the trail is going to get hectic, technical, and a little bit wild - so ride appropriately :)

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well... no... plenty of folks turn up and race trails onsight, even gravity enduros. ...and it takes away some of the local advantage if trails are recombined in unusual ways.

if you're turning up to race, you still have to know your limits. if you're turning up to race gravity enduro, you know the trail is going to get hectic, technical, and a little bit wild - so ride appropriately :)
I think most Gravity Enduro events give the competitors a chance to have a least one sighting run before racing. In our series in Townsville, we announce the course the day before to give riders the chance for a ride through before racing.

adrian.gab

Likes Dirt
Klips said:
Any theories?
- yes, please include Wedgetail! I was upset when it wasn't included in the last Flow Roller Coaster.
- yes, please include Roller Coaster, it's rough in parts and tricky at speed.
- skyline, n express, Seymour and breakout would be an awesome segment.

Other ideas:
- Vapour, luge, old Duffy
- roller, skyline, dh trail to dh playground
- heart breaker in reverse would be interesting

thisisjosh95

Likes Bikes
God I'm excited to do this. I've been so keen on the Enduro racing idea since I heard about it and Stromlo feels like the closest and most suitable place to do it properly, while having a great deal of fun as well.
I hope to see some of you guys there, would be good to meet a few of you :thumb:

Last edited:

Klips

Likes Dirt
- yes, please include Wedgetail! I was upset when it wasn't included in the last Flow Roller Coaster.
- yes, please include Roller Coaster, it's rough in parts and tricky at speed.
- skyline, n express, Seymour and breakout would be an awesome segment.

Other ideas:
- Vapour, luge, old Duffy
- roller, skyline, dh trail to dh playground
- heart breaker in reverse would be interesting
Due to congestion at the top I think it will either be rollercoaster *or* wedgetail, if it's both it would only be wedgetail from the fireroad and not from the very top to prevent people crossing over the race route
I think Vapour/bridge/dh trail to the bottom of the jumps or maybe to the very bottom is more likely than going down luge
I would love to do heartbreak in reverse, you could go Tall Trees / start of echidna / heartbreaker / blue tongue. Only problem will be if anyone overshoots the entry for Northern express you get intersecting race lines which could get really ugly.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I went out the other day and worked out the final 2 stages. We'll let you know on Thursday! Keep an eye on the CORC DH Facebook page, and the CORC Website for the updates!

If you've not registered yet, and you're racing, please go and register online! The link is: http://www.corc.asn.au/event/gravity-enduro/

The weather is looking awesome for the weekend too! It'll be an awesome day at Strommy!

Any questions, email me at ridingdhwithcorc@gmail.com

See you Sunday!
Great work on organising this event guys. I'll be riding an XC bike because thats all I have but I'm still really looking forward to it.

Any idea on race start time and schedule?

jmpalmer

Likes Dirt
xc bike!

Great work on organising this event guys. I'll be riding an XC bike because thats all I have but I'm still really looking forward to it.

Any idea on race start time and schedule?
dont worry mate, ive only got my XC hardtail going at the moment, could get messy!

adrian.gab

Likes Dirt
The lady that won last year's flow roller coaster at Stromlo was on a hard tail and she did a faster total time than most men.