Confused about bar width on DH bikes

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I've looked at a lot of posts on handlebar width for DH bikes and am more confused than ever. I've just brought a 2010 Giant Glory 1 (medium) which came with 710mm bars but a lot of people are saying you should be starting at 750mm. This is my first DH bike and 710 is the widest I've ridden and while it feels really stable, would I be way better off going for something wider? What spec/brand? I'm 5'10" and weigh 77kg kitted up.

Also, I'm curious why Giant would put the wrong bars (if they are indeed too narrow) on a dedicated DH bike.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
good to hear, i really wasn't looking forward to having to buy even more kit for a new bike. it's been a nightmare just getting the right spring for the rear shock - had to order it in from nz as there were none in the country...

scblack

Leucocholic
It is personal preference, but I have just upped my bars from 710mm to 760mm.

And it feels WAY better. I am 5'7 weigh 80kg.

The leverage from the bars is better, the stability in rough going is better, cornering is better.

It did take me a couple of rides to feel the improvement.

A mate has just dropped his width from 800mm to 760mm, so no need to go over the top, but I would say definitely go wider than 710mm.

I say yes.

B.utters

Likes Dirt
I'm currently riding Gravity 800 and I have to say after a ride or two they feel completely normal. Also makes you feel much more stable through turns and steep stuff.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
okay so the majority of riders are saying wider is better... i would quite like the get a comparison, are bars very expensive and what is a good brand to go for and where is a good place to pick them up?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was running 680mm wide bars, then i upgraded to 760. It takes a little while to get used to, but you can definitely hit corners and steep stuff harder! Although, depending on whether you have broad shoulders, long arms and of course personal preference, it might not suit YOU.

Have a look at Deity Dirty thirties! They feel great, aren't overly expensive and every man and his dog seems to be running them these days... gotta mean something!

EDIT/ Woo for an informative 2k post ;)

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
okay so the majority of riders are saying wider is better... i would quite like the get a comparison, are bars very expensive and what is a good brand to go for and where is a good place to pick them up?
Don't get sucked into stereotypes, what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

Who is one person to say that something is "better" than another ??

Cockpit and Controls is a PERSONAL part of the bike and you shouldn't be making a change based on what's considered "scene" or "common" to run.

If you have only just got the bike I suggest you do a few runs with your current setup for all you know you may find it enjoyable to ride.

If there was truly a "best part" to run then companies wouldn't make parts available in different options and everyone would be running the same setup.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sunline V1 OS 750mm. Nuff said. Not to over priced, most comfortable sweep and bend I have ever ridden and there is a good reason why every second DH bike has a pair hanging of it.....

Wide bars definitely give you more leverage and stability in all areas of riding. Took me a while to catch onto this notion. IMO 750mm is a perfect width, now when I look at a 700mm bar it looks narrow as and when I look at an 800mm bar it looks too wide. Always look at Pros bikes as well as it gives a good idea of what set up works and what doesn't regardless of who they are sponsored by.

EDIT: Maybe try asking these sort if things in the DH section of the forum as well as your question on areas to ride, I think you would get a broader response than in this section.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
710 bars are not too narrow for a DH bike, I don't think it was that long ago that DH bike would have been coming with 680 bars as stock. It's just that rider preference has changed, people have progressively tried wider and liked it so stayed with it. Maybe DH racing trends have entered the mainstream more etc.
Of course you have the people who just follow a trend or got to the extremes to be even trendier.

I'm like you, it was only last year I switched to 710 bars and now I haven't looked back, I can't imagine wanting to run anything narrower for any sort of riding but also don't find the need to go any wider, not to say I wouldn't try it one day. And that's the point you won't know how much better wider bars are for YOU unless you give them a go one day. It's an option that's available but certainly not a do or die thing.
Ride your bike as it is, get used to it and then experiment with the set up such as bar width later down the track. Or stay in ignorant bliss because if you don't try anything different well you won't even know you're missing it, not always a bad thing, it's too easy to want to change stuff on bikes all the time weather there is a genuine need to or not.

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've looked at a lot of posts on handlebar width for DH bikes and am more confused than ever. I've just brought a 2010 Giant Glory 1 (medium) which came with 710mm bars but a lot of people are saying you should be starting at 750mm. This is my first DH bike and 710 is the widest I've ridden and while it feels really stable, would I be way better off going for something wider? What spec/brand? I'm 5'10" and weigh 77kg kitted up.

Also, I'm curious why Giant would put the wrong bars (if they are indeed too narrow) on a dedicated DH bike.
710 is pretty wide for a stock bar buddy. Allot come with sub 700. If u feel like they are comfortable, stay with it. If you go to wide you will find you will get sore shoulders, arms, chest, ect... I'm 6 foot on the dot and ride with 800mm bars with a low rise. anything less to me feels like a steering wheel. Although, my buddy who's 2 inches smaller has 680mm and anything more feels like too much.

;)

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm 6 foot 2 and I ride about 740mm at the moment but am about to get a set of 790's and they feel just right for me.

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Sunline V1 OS 750mm. Nuff said. Not to over priced, most comfortable sweep and bend I have ever ridden and there is a good reason why every second DH bike has a pair hanging of it.....
Is this the same reason every second DH bike is a Glory?

I guess it has nothing at all to do with looking cool :rolleyes:

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is this the same reason every second DH bike is a Glory?

I guess it has nothing at all to do with looking cool :rolleyes:
Do I really need to answer the Glory statement? Features v's Price = simple descision.

The fact is they are a great bar for all the reasons I stated. Price, weight, sweep, bend, feel. Why the fuck does everyone just keep crapping on about "looking cool", who gives a fuck? So many haters out there. Wide bars work and thats all there is to it. If you have ever ridden a wide bar (yes 800+mm IMO is too wide) you will understand, if you haven't you're not in a position to comment, simple.

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Do I really need to answer the Glory statement? Features v's Price = simple descision.

The fact is they are a great bar for all the reasons I stated. Price, weight, sweep, bend, feel. Why the fuck does everyone just keep crapping on about "looking cool", who gives a fuck? So many haters out there. Wide bars work and thats all there is to it. If you have ever ridden a wide bar (yes 800+mm IMO is too wide) you will understand, if you haven't you're not in a position to comment, simple.
Actually I ride with wide bars. But useing the reasoning that every second DH bike runs them as a reason to buy them is just stupid. When we all know this sport is full of Fan Boys buying shit because it looks cool or because everyone else runs them.

Wide bars wont work for everyone. Run what you feel comfortable with. Dont just rush out and buy something because everyone else is running it.

cluster

Likes Dirt
When I bought my Demo 8 it came with 690mm bars on it, and my front wheel was washing out constantly...
Now I have 750mm funn fatboys, haven't had any problems since! Wider bars seem to give more traction on the front wheel; I find they also help to get a nice flowing line through corners, instead of lots of little mini-turns to get around (if that makes any sense...:rolleyes:)
But hey, if you prefer narrower bars then there's no problem with them either:)

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But useing the reasoning that every second DH bike runs them as a reason to buy them is just stupid. When we all know this sport is full of Fan Boys buying shit because it looks cool or because everyone else runs them.

Wide bars wont work for everyone. Run what you feel comfortable with. Dont just rush out and buy something because everyone else is running it.
The statement was made in regards to Sunline bars, not wide bars. Why does every 2nd bike run Sunline bars? Because they are that good, that's why I said it.

Every sport is full of knobs who think they're waay better than they really are, fact of life but why does every prick on this site have to keep pointing this out as the reason that someone wants an upgrade????????

Me personally, I look at what all the Pros run on a regular basis with setups, bar height/width, amount of stanchion through crown etc, I do some research and then make an informed opinion as to whether that could help my riding style. If the answer I come up with is it will, then I will try it out as I'm always looking for ways to make me ride faster, wether mentally, physically or mechanically.

Wider bars, IMO, offer a substantial performance advantage for everyone regardless of whether they're cool "Fan Boys" or not!!!

Last edited: