Coffee

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
What is the deal with coffee? I have noticed that fresh coffee is listed as a service at most MTB events. What's the G.O.? Does it aid performance? I am not a big coffee drinker. Does this explain my serious lack of speed? Do I need to caffeine up? Or is it just nice to have it there?

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Coffee, like bike racing is trendy. Plus during a winter race I think offering up some coffee to my beautiful wife who will be managing my bottles and food intake at enduro events is the least I can do.

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
Supply and demand

Theres obviously enough demand for someone to make money out of supplying an espresso coffee.
"Its economics man, economics..." Don't ask me which movie the quotes from or if its even accurate.

Last edited:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
What is the deal with coffee? I have noticed that fresh coffee is listed as a service at most MTB events. What's the G.O.? Does it aid performance? I am not a big coffee drinker. Does this explain my serious lack of speed? Do I need to caffeine up? Or is it just nice to have it there?
From our very own AIS

But I have coffee every morn as I arrive to work... I _want_ coffee every morning... I _need_ coffee in the morning :) Its I drug, I have an addiction... I'm ok with that :) and scarily enough I like how it tastes... and having delicious (ok, varying quality from pretty good to yesterdays dishwater if I'm being honest) hot beverages around pre race in the middle of the bush is pretty cool :)

Actually the great innovation this year has been coffee trucks hanging around at the end of the race... A very large, very strong (yes you heard me right, I want a strong with an extra shot) coffee is just the thing to assist me in the drive home!

Win

Likes Dirt
I NEED coffee before work
I can ride all morning without it
A cold short black 1hr before the end of a 6hr race really perks me up
Post race coffee, oh yes!

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
we took the gaggia to the scott last year. made for an excellent combination of endurance racing plus coffee made by me on my machine (so it was awesome).

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I NEED coffee before work
I can ride all morning without it
A cold short black 1hr before the end of a 6hr race really perks me up
Post race coffee, oh yes!
I need to ride all morning without it, otherwise i need to take a shit in the woods,
and that's why I ride with toilet paper in my camel back.

krizbike

Likes Dirt
I only drink coffee with milk, but I wouldn't want a big mug of milk bouncing around my stomach in a ride, so I avoid it.
I upended a Red Bull into my biddon at a race a few years back and started drinking that about half way through the race. Despite not being that fit, I ripped through the last part of the race and passed a whole heap of riders. I felt great when I finished (but slept VERY well that night). Some gels have caffeine and I usually aim to be eating those ones later in the race for the same reason.

And as others have said - the coffee carts are great for all the family supporters!

Chris

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I need to ride all morning without it, otherwise i need to take a shit in the woods,
and that's why I ride with toilet paper in my camel back.
Yes I find it helps to lighten the load but its gotta be at least an hour before a ride or I find myself in a similar predicament.

And Red Bull does give you wings, I really felt its power at the 100mile cruise earlier in the year, I was dying fast and told the missus one more lap and I'm done, sculled a red bull and went on my sad and sorry way, halfway through the lap was convinced I'd could punch out another lap easy, only problem I got back and the missus had closed the shop, pack the car and was pushing me into the car before I could get off the bike. Anyway point is that Red Bull perked me up big time.

Last edited:

Win

Likes Dirt
With the sugsr high you get from RB though you may have found a very low on that next lap

Five Miles Out

Likes Dirt
It's not a good idea! Caffeine is a diuretic so it will dehydrate you pretty quickly, and the high is slow-release so you won't feel the buzz for long.

On the other hand, if you're trying to mask some sort of performance enhancing drug then diuretics are the go...

krizbike

Likes Dirt
It's not a good idea! Caffeine is a diuretic so it will dehydrate you pretty quickly, and the high is slow-release so you won't feel the buzz for long.
erm, I think you should re-read the link that someone has already posted to the AIS site.
"small to moderate doses of caffeine have minor effects on urine losses or the overall hydration in people who are habitual caffeine users. In addition, caffeine-containing drinks such as tea, coffee and cola drinks provide a significant source of fluid in the everyday diets of many people."

And the second part of your statement doesn't make a lot of sense. If the high was "slow-release" then doesn't that mean you would feel it for longer?

And regarding the laxative effect that others have mentioned - thankfully my body's pretty well trained now so when there's a race on, I generally pay a visit to the dunny just as I start to put bike clothes on pre-race. :)

Chris

Five Miles Out

Likes Dirt
erm, I think you should re-read the link that someone has already posted to the AIS site.
"small to moderate doses of caffeine have minor effects on urine losses or the overall hydration in people who are habitual caffeine users. In addition, caffeine-containing drinks such as tea, coffee and cola drinks provide a significant source of fluid in the everyday diets of many people."

And the second part of your statement doesn't make a lot of sense. If the high was "slow-release" then doesn't that mean you would feel it for longer?

And regarding the laxative effect that others have mentioned - thankfully my body's pretty well trained now so when there's a race on, I generally pay a visit to the dunny just as I start to put bike clothes on pre-race. :)

Chris
Yes sorry that was meant to be quick-releasing energy. I read the AIS link, but I think coffee totally depends on what you're drinking it for.

If it's just a wake up then sure, why not. But if you're drinking it to inhance performance, then I would say the risk of having any liquid in my body that could possibly cause dehydration, wouldn't be worth it would it?

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
I thought it was Platoon.. and it was "It's politics man, politics.... O'Neil has his head so far up the LT's arse....."
Ahh right you are, thanks for putting me back on the straight and narrow, I knew it wasn't quite right...now back to the more important subject of the thread...Hmmm....coffee.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I had a coffee this morning before the six hour and felt like $hit after 4 hours. So no effect really. Maybe another would of helped? Although I would worry about adding to the mud out on the trail. :eek:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
It's like anything I guess, when used responsinbly or in moderation it IS beneficial, over do it and can have adverse effects. Just ask most people who ride (read I didn't say ALL) long distance and long hours and they'll tell you that that they use caffiene in one form or another during the a race/ride, generally not in the early stages but later. Most 24hr soloist's, correct me if I'm wrong rely on it to help keep the sleep monsters at bay, I know I did.
As for the sugar bit, same thing, ya gotta know the right time to hit the sugar, generally two laps to go is ok for the sugary stuff, ya just keep it topped up, any way different topic. Trust me I ain't the first person to grab a can of RB late in a race.

But I think this thread was about Coffee in particular and you either love it or hate it, me I love it, especially first thing in the morning.

Last edited: