Clueless Trials Thread.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, out of the blue I bought a mod trials bike today.

I haven't had much to do with trials in a long time, so I thought a thread for those not in the know would be a good idea to benifit myself and others.

The bike I bought is a Koxx Tricks. Has Magura rimbrakes on it, which are nice and grabby. I can do all the basic trials tricks like pedalkicking, backhops, setup hops, nosepivots etc, any idea where is a good way to head from here? Anything I should be trying to learn to help my riding?

Furthermore, I went on a few rides with the WA Trials crew a few years ago, are they still kicking around by any chance?

Feel free to post any trials noob questions in this thread, or just post up how stoked you are on learning something!

Bradster

Likes Bikes
WA trials is gone Rex, and I've only met like 3 other trials riders around Perth.

Try and work on sidehopping and gaps, that'll help with getting up most obstacles...

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After a bit of a ride thisafternoon, I've noticed that my gearing seems really, really low. Having trouble using it to power hops to actually get to a decent height. Maybe it is just because I am used to bigger DJ bike gears. What sort of gearing is normal for a mod?

Lilley

Likes Dirt
So, out of the blue I bought a mod trials bike today.

I haven't had much to do with trials in a long time, so I thought a thread for those not in the know would be a good idea to benifit myself and others.

The bike I bought is a Koxx Tricks. Has Magura rimbrakes on it, which are nice and grabby. I can do all the basic trials tricks like pedalkicking, backhops, setup hops, nosepivots etc, any idea where is a good way to head from here? Anything I should be trying to learn to help my riding?

Furthermore, I went on a few rides with the WA Trials crew a few years ago, are they still kicking around by any chance?

Feel free to post any trials noob questions in this thread, or just post up how stoked you are on learning something!
Great stuff, you obviously have some enthusiasm for the sport so hopefully you can recruit a few more riders over on the west coast as time goes on.

In terms of important skills technical control is something that is easy to forget. It is so tempting to learn the big "moves" but the best riders in the world have great "small move" control. Riding skinnies, slippery or loose rocks. Developing that control on the bike will set you up well for taking the sport further.

Also if you haven't already done it look into grinding your rim, I know a lot of people first get a bike with Maguras and are impressed but once you really get the setup dialed in with good pads and good grind you'll never go back.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The rear brake has these dual compound pads (frogskins or something I think?) and the rim has been grinded like no tommorow. I'm used to a Saint brake with braided line on my DH bike, and they feel good so I guess they must be ok?

I tried sidehops and they feel strange. I don't think I am quite using the right technique. A friend suggested a make a little video, so I will post it up and show you all where I am at, and hopefully I will be able to recieve a few tips!

Lilley

Likes Dirt
I can't remember but the Koxx Tricks may not be front freewheel cranks. If not 24-16 is the same as 18-12 so just check. It is possible that the bike is set up with a lower gearing like 24-18, especially if parts have been replaced along the way.

stooge

Likes Dirt
Rexy if it makes you feel any better i am saving for a trials bike right now and my mate lewis rides trials...i see a small trials community building up soon...

jesse18

Squid
Is there any boulders or big rocks around where you live? Big rocks were the next big thing after i learned the basics man. Learning to conform to different angles on a small space is hard and really helps your balance. Try to find some that are like 1-4ft apart from each other and try to pedal kick the gaps.

Another thing you can try doing is sidehopping over one off the concrete bars in carparks where the car wheels are supposed to rest against.