Club Open Day/Christmas Breakup 11th December

louispijpers

model citizen
Hi all,

As discussed at the meeting, it was proposed that we have a mixed club open day & christmas breakup to cap of the year.
I have stolen the format from steve's one held on the weekend which went great-cheers steve, and modified it a bit. (We wanted to do a bit of DH earlier on)

TIMETABLE - Sunday 4th December (Proposed) - Jubilee Park Open Day

8.30 a.m. - Sign in for keen DH riders for shuttles / Sign in for trail riders / Social day licences / Hand out raffle tickets
Person at sign-in desk to ascertain riders' experience.

9.00 a.m. - Brief talk - history of the trails / future trail building plans

9.15 a.m. - Option 1: DH shuttles.
Option 2: Lap of Rollercat.

10.30 a.m. - Option 1: DH shuttles.
Option 2: Trail ride up Turkey/down DH track?

Prepare BBQ lunch.

12.00 m.d. - LUNCH / Random prize draws.
Brief talk - advantages of joining the club / future events / club points score series / maintenance/track building reward program.

12.30 p.m. - Super D (Different section to previous open day)

FINISH ? - Announce Super D placings / random prize draw / year wrap up from the el presidente

Please post your thought/interest.

Regards,

Louis Pijpers.

Last edited:

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The 27th is the date scheduled for the new critrium circuit opening day. I was under the impression the TMBC were involved with this too?

sherman

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

As discussed at the meeting, it was proposed that we have a mixed club open day & christmas breakup to cap of the year.
I have stolen the format from steve's one held on the weekend which went great-cheers steve, and modified it a bit. (We wanted to do a bit of DH earlier on)

TIMETABLE - Sunday 27th November (Proposed) - Jubilee Park Open Day

8.30 a.m. - Sign in for keen DH riders for shuttles / Sign in for trail riders / Social day licences / Hand out raffle tickets
Person at sign-in desk to ascertain riders' experience.

9.00 a.m. - Brief talk - history of the trails / future trail building plans

9.15 a.m. - Option 1: DH shuttles.
Option 2: Lap of Rollercat.

10.30 a.m. - Option 1: DH shuttles.
Option 2: Trail ride up Turkey/down DH track?

Prepare BBQ lunch.

12.00 m.d. - LUNCH / Random prize draws.
Brief talk - advantages of joining the club / future events / club points score series / maintenance/track building reward program.

12.30 p.m. - Super D (Different section to previous open day)

FINISH ? - Announce Super D placings / random prize draw / year wrap up from the el presidente

Please post your thought/interest.

Regards,

Louis Pijpers.
As a responsable president I have to ask when the beer drinking is involved and also as Aaron said, that is the day that the criterium track is officially open and I have said that we would be involved as I saw it as good exposure for the club.

Cheers

Jiel

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a responsable president I have to ask when the beer drinking is involved and also as Aaron said, that is the day that the criterium track is officially open and I have said that we would be involved as I saw it as good exposure for the club.

Cheers

Jiel
What did you have in mind for us to do out there on the day?

louispijpers

model citizen

Cheers

Jiel
Ok, when do you propose we have it?

boltz

Likes Dirt
Crit track opening

Kerry Cosgrove has been in contact, and the expectation is that we have the club marquee, set up in the trade alley.
It's a good idea for the club to be involved from the start, given the plans we have for our future use of the showgrounds. I think council would like to see more collaboration between the cycling groups in Toowoomba also.
We'll need to have flyers promoting the club, a variety of mtb's on display (i.e. d/h, 4x, xc) and people on hand to explain the differences. Maybe we could do some kind of demos. Can anyone trials ride the horse obstacles? (insert smiley face here - the one in the heading)
There is a meeting at The Metro Cafe this Sunday at 2pm, to discuss everyones involvement in the crit track open day. I'll be going if anyone wants to join me.

Last edited:

boltz

Likes Dirt
At the risk of sounding like I'm obsessed with the place, I'd like to propose the showgrounds as a Christmas break up venue. Jiel and a few others first suggested it some months ago.

I know the riding isn't a patch on Jubilee, but there is a runs day scheduled for the 13th Nov, and we could still run a 3hr on Rollercat /Turkey.

The advantage of the showgrounds (once permission has been obtained), is that we could have more of a party. I think the Christmas break up is our one chance in the year to put on a social event that can also be enjoyed by our girlfriends, partners, wives and kids. They're the ones who support us when we're out riding, racing, or track building.

We could organise a jumping castle for the kids, with allocated sessions for us big kids, and maybe look at getting the food catered for (spit roast or some such) instead of the old reliable sausage sangers.

We could run 4X heats, with a seperate class for those of us on XC bikes, and a 3 lap XC race around the perimeter of the grounds, maybe including the crit track. To make it fun we could have novelty challenges each lap, like skolling a beer or receiving a time penalty, and bonus points for cross dressing.

I assume the club will put on a few cartons (as in past years), which should be more legal than drinking in Jubilee Pk. We may even be able to get permission to camp over, for those keen enough.

Anyway, I'm not trying to undermine your plan Louis, and if the majority want to stick with the Jubilee plan then I'll pitch in and help out there.

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just to throw out another suggestion, although I quite like Louis first idea, to cater for families - how about a runs morning or afternoon for the DH riders as first suggested and a trail ride for XC riders but instead of finishing at the bottom Gazebo perhaps we could utilise one of the park in Toowoomba to have the BBQ. Either Web Park or Picnic point are both fairly close and offer children some distraction while the dad's and mom's have some christmas cheer.....

Anyway just my 2 cents. Perhaps we could start a poll to vote on the three ideas?

louispijpers

model citizen
At the risk of sounding like I'm obsessed with the place, I'd like to propose the showgrounds as a Christmas break up venue. Jiel and a few others first suggested it some months ago.

I know the riding isn't a patch on Jubilee, but there is a runs day scheduled for the 13th Nov, and we could still run a 3hr on Rollercat /Turkey.

The advantage of the showgrounds (once permission has been obtained), is that we could have more of a party. I think the Christmas break up is our one chance in the year to put on a social event that can also be enjoyed by our girlfriends, partners, wives and kids. They're the ones who support us when we're out riding, racing, or track building.

We could organise a jumping castle for the kids, with allocated sessions for us big kids, and maybe look at getting the food catered for (spit roast or some such) instead of the old reliable sausage sangers.

We could run 4X heats, with a seperate class for those of us on XC bikes, and a 3 lap XC race around the perimeter of the grounds, maybe including the crit track. To make it fun we could have novelty challenges each lap, like skolling a beer or receiving a time penalty, and bonus points for cross dressing.

I assume the club will put on a few cartons (as in past years), which should be more legal than drinking in Jubilee Pk. We may even be able to get permission to camp over, for those keen enough.

Anyway, I'm not trying to undermine your plan Louis, and if the majority want to stick with the Jubilee plan then I'll pitch in and help out there.
Just to throw out another suggestion, although I quite like Louis first idea, to cater for families - how about a runs morning or afternoon for the DH riders as first suggested and a trail ride for XC riders but instead of finishing at the bottom Gazebo perhaps we could utilise one of the park in Toowoomba to have the BBQ. Either Web Park or Picnic point are both fairly close and offer children some distraction while the dad's and mom's have some christmas cheer.....

Anyway just my 2 cents. Perhaps we could start a poll to vote on the three ideas?
Yep I have no problems with either idea. I really don't mind what we do-I mainly posted this up to get the ball rolling. So yeah if everyone wants to discuss what they want and we could come to an agreement that would be great. Anyone have any ideas on when we could have it? Sunday the 4th of December?

boltz

Likes Dirt
CLUB CHRISTMAS PARTY - option 3

Well there was obviously no love for the showgrounds option, so how about this:

In my humble opinion, the club Christmas party should be first and foremost about the social aspect. Doing things that involve all the clubs disciplines together, and secondly, thanking our long suffering partners, wives etc. for letting us give so much time to all things mtb. That should also include the mums and dads that help run our events too.

So... how about we meet at the gazebo at the bottom of frenzy for a Super D on Turkey or Rollercat. To save burdening club members with timing gear set up, we could just use the two way radios and a stop watch, and the assistance of some guests.

Borrowing Pete's idea, we could wind down with a slow race, over a set distance, and then a challenge to see who can ride the furtherest up the rocky creek bed.

These are all activities that stay close to the gazebo hub, and involve participation from all club members.

We could then put on a decent bbq with kebab skewers, steaks etc. and a couple of kilos of prawns, and salads.

Any likes?

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Steve my only concern is what do the kids do? If we finish at a park the kids will be kept busy. Not sure we want our kids treking through the bush with ticks and snakes about. I am not against your idea just highlighting what the mums will be thinking.

aussie pete

Likes Dirt
Someone mentioned do a ride and finish at either web park or picnic point, we could devise a couple of comps like a slow ride, obstacles within the park to ride over, wheely comp and other things for amusement.
To even the playing field who ever wins an event has to skull a beer or two which should over time bring everyone to a similar level of skill.:very_drunk:

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
About the BBQ for the breakup. I've got a meat order at work that should be ready for pickup by the 4th so if it is I will donate a whole rump to the club. Just a thankyou for the hard worth that the club has put in all year.

louispijpers

model citizen
Someone mentioned do a ride and finish at either web park or picnic point, we could devise a couple of comps like a slow ride, obstacles within the park to ride over, wheely comp and other things for amusement.
To even the playing field who ever wins an event has to skull a beer or two which should over time bring everyone to a similar level of skill.:very_drunk:
I like this idea. The. BBQ and facilities are all there too so it would mean less work organizing things. just my 2c :)

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with RRR, AP & Pijpo.
The gazebo down the bottom is great because it is close to the trails, but apart from that it hasnt got much going for it. There is no amenities and we all know WAG's & kids need them. No BBQ, so someone would have to cart one down there. Doing something up the top of hill is also logistically easier if one decides to have a few bevvies. Not sure about others, but I wouldnt leave any car down there over night.

Queens park is another option. Nice and central for everyone.

boltz

Likes Dirt
You guys are right. The fun factor at Jubilee is good, but the facilities are pretty thin on the ground. Webb Pk would be good, but Picnic Point has better possibilities for mtb action/fun. There's a good little run down the Tobrook Dve side, and potential for some fun stuff. Probably best not to go into too much detail on this forum though.

That sounds like a good offer from Mitch too.

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the progress on the club break-up. We initially tabled for Sunday the 4th but I have talked with a few people who would prefer it on a Saturday. Also from what I understand we are looking at doing a social ride which will finish at picnic point down on Toobrook drive? What time does the ride kick off? For instance I would allow 3-4 hours at the social pace we have been riding at lately to have a look in Jubilee then finish up at picnic point. Are we looking at a 5.00pm BBQ? What are the DH riders doing? Social ride or runs? Not many days to organise and I am happy to help out if we can set schedule for events.