Clips or Flats?

Clips or Flats...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pozzi

Likes Dirt
Clips are great you can control the bike better. Havnt ridden flats in ages, its on my things to do but yeh just loosen them so you can unclip easily but they hold, good for when you need to bail off:D

Cheers

billyrockcruz

Likes Dirt
to clip or not to clip

I can get my foot off my clipless padals just as quick as I can off platforms...
hhmmm where have i heard that before??,oh yes thats right a guy who's foot and ankle was twisted the opposit way after his crash because of not releasing quick enough said that just before he rode off.

I still cant work out the logic of wearing them other than the % speed factor of racing. So if you arn't racing, er, why clip in at all?

takai

Eats Squid
I love flats, with SPD BMX shoes. The SPD mounting plate in the shoe gives heaps and heaps of extra stiffness...

Pork chops also rock hardcore. As did the pork vindaloo which i just had for lunch.

yeah go with the flats because when you fall and u dont un clip its goin to hurt. I seen this guy once that whent over the bars and he had clip ins and the bike folowed him over and he ate it hardcore so flats are better i think;)

molzy13

Likes Dirt
i tried clips on the weekend and i did notice a big difrence. it seems you have more control of the bike, can pedal out of corners quicker and jump alot bigger. but i did also notice that my ankles and feet got really sore after a few runs. does this happen to any other riders or is it something you get use to and dont notice after a while????

The funki 1

Likes Dirt
It may be because you had the tention on the pedals adjusted too tightly which would be putting your foot and ankles under alot of stress when you were twisting your feet to unclip...;)

molzy13

Likes Dirt
It may be because you had the tention on the pedals adjusted too tightly which would be putting your foot and ankles under alot of stress when you were twisting your feet to unclip...;)
nah wasn't that. if anything they were to lose.

Last edited:

The funki 1

Likes Dirt
Did you do alot of walking in your SPD shoes? I find that i roll my ankles alot in my mtb shoes... If it's not that then i don't know why it's happening...I don't suffer from the same problem.

In any case though CLIPS RULE!!!;)

joy boy

Likes Dirt
if you stay on your bike easily, not falling off, clips, but if you come off a fair bit, go the flats, i personally prefer flats, because you don't need special shoes, meaning I can wack on any pair of shoes i can find and go riding.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you stay on your bike easily, not falling off, clips, but if you come off a fair bit, go the flats, i personally prefer flats, because you don't need special shoes, meaning I can wack on any pair of shoes i can find and go riding.
Or, if you fall off a lot, ride even more so you don't fall off. ;)

jamis7

Likes Dirt
i only use flats because im not skilled enough to use clips ive tried using my brothers before but on the trails near my house you seem to have to put your foot down on a lot of berms and stuff so i go flats.;)

tomvito

Squid
its a personal choice. i have tried both and found that i ride a lot better with flats. and i have fallen with clip ins when i was inexpericed(er) and it hurt.

hillbilli

Likes Bikes
Just bought a set of clips after riding flats for years and found the acceleration was crazy and you can pedal over alot more terain. But i would not race in them just yet, I want to get alot more time on the clips first.
So go flats, but i can see why people love clips.

shcotty

Likes Bikes
yes man

Im a downhiller trying clips now, first impressions awsome, all the little movements like over jumps and rockgardens that occur when riding flats are just eliminated. However I havent ridden any tracks that arnt my locals yet, so when i do that will be the biggest test for these fandingeld things.