Clipless

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Potentially a really dumb question from an old timer and knowing completely nothing about clipless pedals and shoes..... does every clipless shoe fit every clipless pedal? I mean do you just pick the shoe and any pedal and it'll work?

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In short, for MTB yes.
MTB shoes and cleats all have a 2-bolt cleat fitting, like this one. Don't be thrown by the 4 bolts, that's just two sets so you can have more variation in foreward/rear cleat mount.

clients-gearrush-photo_sets-118123-DSCN6998.JPG

So all MTB shoes and cleats use 2 bolt, but not all the cleats are the same. That's ok though, because you'll get a set of cleats to match with whatever pedals you buy (if you buy new).

There are then 3 and 4 bolt patterns for road shoes, and some that do both. But you don't need to worry about them for MTB. You'd never run a road shoe/cleat/pedal on an MTB, you may run an MTB shoe/cleat/pedal on a road bike though.

This is a bit more detail on the types:
http://guides.wiggle.co.uk/cycling-pedals-and-cleats-buying-guide-0

Hope that helps!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
all MTB shoes are 2 bolt

not all MTB pedals & cleats are the same fitting, you need to buy the cleats for your pedal manufacturer [though shimano is by far the most popular pedal/cleat type]

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Thanks alot for that,, all starting to make sense now. Just doing some pre-lim research for my little ones as they race BMX and will move to clips at some point. Unfortunately, when you ask a die hard racer a question that is non BMX related all you get back is a blank stare.... hehehe

T-Rex

Template denier
Thanks alot for that,, all starting to make sense now. Just doing some pre-lim research for my little ones as they race BMX and will move to clips at some point. Unfortunately, when you ask a die hard racer a question that is non BMX related all you get back is a blank stare.... hehehe
FWIW I put my (then) young bloke on clips when he was 10, and he was instantly faster and had better control of the bike. This was for DH though, not BMX. He stayed with clips ever since, apart from the occasional very muddy race.

You might find that little kids prefer Crank Bros, because of the float. However, you can't adjust the tension on CB, which you can do with Shimano. CB cleats are brass and wear faster than Shimano cleats, which are steel.

Another tip: Locktite the cleat screws in, this does two things, stops them coming loose and stops them rusting in place. Although with young kids this won't be much of an issue, they will outgrow the shoes before the cleats wear out or rust in place.

I don't know much about BMX, but I would be inclined to use the most popular pedal system that the other kids use - if nothing else it means you have got a better chance of borrowing parts if you get caught out with a mechanical.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
FWIW I put my (then) young bloke on clips when he was 10, and he was instantly faster and had better control of the bike. This was for DH though, not BMX. He stayed with clips ever since, apart from the occasional very muddy race.

You might find that little kids prefer Crank Bros, because of the float. However, you can't adjust the tension on CB, which you can do with Shimano. CB cleats are brass and wear faster than Shimano cleats, which are steel.

Another tip: Locktite the cleat screws in, this does two things, stops them coming loose and stops them rusting in place. Although with young kids this won't be much of an issue, they will outgrow the shoes before the cleats wear out or rust in place.

I don't know much about BMX, but I would be inclined to use the most popular pedal system that the other kids use - if nothing else it means you have got a better chance of borrowing parts if you get caught out with a mechanical.
Thanks for that. Still early stages for us as our ones are 4 & 6, plus there's no way they're going to clips until they show me they can ride, which btw is not very far off, da little shits.... . Thinking about getting a set so they can have a bit of a muck around and get a feel of what it's like to ride clips... Also good to help them get the spin on :)