Clipless pedals

Mommers

Likes Dirt
what would be the best clipless pedals for XC/Trail riding??

I have been looking at the shimano PD-M424...are these good?

Not wanting to spend heaps as i still have to buy shoes. $130 max

Thanks

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
from what I have heard, times are pritty sweet. I personally use shimano 545s(I think). They are the ones that come stock on pritty much all XC bike(no cage). You can pick them up for cheap and they work like a charm. Only problem wiht them is when it gets muddy they are hard to get back into because of there design.

Ty

Eats Squid
personaly i really like eggbeaters, my knees are shagged and the way eggs work is they don't 'want' to center them self so it never feels like you fighting the float (i found that with shimanos), they also rule in mud.

only problem is they are useless if your not cliped in and some people have reported that they cause some funky wear above your cleats.

Ty said:
personaly i really like eggbeaters, my knees are shagged and the way eggs work is they don't 'want' to center them self so it never feels like you fighting the float (i found that with shimanos), they also rule in mud.

only problem is they are useless if your not cliped in and some people have reported that they cause some funky wear above your cleats.

crankbros has just released a new range which includes this beast:

may be something to think about if u want a simple design with heaps of mud clearance...
may be a little out of price range (not sure on an $AUD retail price)

G

i use shimano DX flats/clip. the cleat is built into the flat as the crank brothers one above but with a shimano cleat. i have a set of these on my schwinn(xc) and da bomb (dh/ds/dj/street)

Velophile

Likes Dirt
Mommers said:
what would be the best clipless pedals for XC/Trail riding??

I have been looking at the shimano PD-M424...are these good?

Not wanting to spend heaps as i still have to buy shoes. $130 max

Thanks
I think the PD-M424's are the ones with a nylon cage around the SPD bit?
If so I had then on my IronHorse & they worked well enough. Not as grippy (with flat shoes) as the Wellgo combos I have on the FRM but good for XC/Trail. I've also got some older 525 SPD's & they're fine as an XC pedal. Eggies or Times could shed mud better than my SPD's but I haven't tried them. Usually the mud causes me drivetrain probs before pedal probs.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably sounds sooo stupid, but get something with a cage around it, it will come in handy for them quick spins to the shops, or testing stuff (e.g. drivetrain) without changing your shoes.

Also I would go with the ones with the resin (silver color) cage, I cant remember the product number, but they look alot more durable than the nylon caged ones...Also alot of the GMBC guys use the resin cage's, there muct be something good about them :p

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crank brother mallets go for about $199rrp from memory. I will be getting some for Dh eventually. I can't race DH on my XC pedals forever.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
Mallets are good for DH but too heavy for XC.

A set of eggbeater chromes will set you back about the same price and are light as.

Can't recommend them highly enough. Either EB's or Time ATAC's, both around $200. Wouldn't waste my time with Shimano pedals, only good if you're not gonna get em dirty.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ohhhpppps! I made a mistake. THe black cages on Shimano PD-M424 is actually resin, not nylon as was first presumed :oops: . PD-M545 has an alloy cage, they look a fair bit more durable :D

I uses Shimano's PD-M536's they work great, but there isn't much platform on them so it makes riding in normal shoes a bit difficult, but once you use riding shoes you wont want to ride in normal shoes after a while.

Glock

Likes Bikes
i recommend the shimano pd m535 pedal. not many people seem to know that they exist. they are reasonably light, have a larger than average contact area, and don't have the easily-broken metail plate in the centre of the pedal (like the 505s and 515s). they are actually usable in muddy conditions (they shed mud reasonably, as long as it's not really thick).

LordNikon

Uber Geek
My understanding was that the M535 is simply the updated 515.

Nothing beats eggbeaters in mud though.

Shimanos are just too complex... depends how much you want to take your feet out though, as long as you never take your feet off the pedals mud isn't an issue.

:wink:

Dane

Likes Dirt
my first clipless were shimano m424, they were brilliant! recently i have put the m424 onto my roadie and upgraded to m646 on my ac. the m646 are the dx pedals and they are awesome. i have never had any problems with mud (probably because i don't often ride in mud), so i have never bothered with the eggbeaters or time pedals.

one thing i'm a firm believer in is don't buy crappy shoes. my only pair so far have been some specialized rockhoppers (i think). and i can easily wear them all day etc. friends of mine have bought el-cheapo $80 jobs and always whinge about them being uncomfortable (plus they look gay!).

Hope this helps
-Dane

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i don't know much about clipless but i've got some shimanos, brand new for sale in the accessories section if you're interested.

Sorry if it's not what you are after, I know shit all about clipless.

Aman

Likes Bikes
Go for some 505's there cheap and work well for only $80. Great value pedal and I've been thrashing them around for 6 months and they still 'clip in'. Mind you, I now ride them on the hardest setting.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
for $130 or less i'd have to recommend Shimano PD-M540 or PD-M520, they are new for 04 and use the same design as the very popular PD-M959 (retail $280). i raced with these at the recent nats, as did many others, and never had a problem with clipping in, they clear mud extremely well. do not buy the old shimano clipless style when you could get these.

540's

520's

®ider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get Time pedals. they will last you long!
they may cost heaps but they are a mad pedal

Rik

logged out
Time do feel a bit weird at first, the clip in and out is odd, but damn they're the best once you actually get going!