Clipless pedals on northshore bridges

newbiemtb

Likes Bikes
Does anyone ride clipless pedals on northshore bridges clipped out? After my most recent fall about 6 weeks ago off the a northshore section about 1 meter high, i don't want to ride on any boardwalk style northshore anymore clipped in. The crash had me falling directly onto my head because i couldnt unclip and i was out for 6 weeks. Is it safe to ride the northshore clipped out. Perhaps its best to just walk those sections? i dont want to go flats cause i like the pedalling efficciency of clipless and the control over the bike(except for when you need to unclip).

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone ride clipless pedals on northshore bridges clipped out? After my most recent fall about 6 weeks ago off the a northshore section about 1 meter high, i don't want to ride on any boardwalk style northshore anymore clipped in. The crash had me falling directly onto my head because i couldnt unclip and i was out for 6 weeks. Is it safe to ride the northshore clipped out. Perhaps its best to just walk those sections? i dont want to go flats cause i like the pedalling efficciency of clipless and the control over the bike(except for when you need to unclip).
if your riding north shore ride flats, if your riding general trails using clips just avoid the shore

newbiemtb

Likes Bikes
i'm noticing more and more northshore boardwalks in xc trails lately. Even at the BMC classic i think there were a few in it. Some with about 15 foot drops to the side

dek_norco

Likes Dirt
mate thats why i would never get clipless pedals scared of not being able to unclip when your gonna eat it, especially on shore.

newbiemtb

Likes Bikes
i just ride too many uphills and kilometers to get flats. If i was strictly freeride or DH only i'd get the flats.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
i wear clips for all my riding. I ride over northshore and stuff too. In your situation i would build your own northshore maybe maximum 1 metre off the ground and practice it and get your confidence and balance up. Once your confident and stuff ride the big stuff which is 15 feet off the ground.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
another thing you could do. If you are ever at mt stromlo they have some small beginner northshore. And you could get used to that.

Toxicity

one of those boys your mother warned you about
when i rid skinnies, forsome reasonn i only unclip one foot:confused:
balance thing? and if you were to fall you'd throw you leg out(just a reflex thing). which would at least make you land on your side...better then your head

pliskin

Likes Dirt
have you tried adjusting the release mechanism on your pedals?
i have mine set quite loose on my freeride bike. they are loose enough that i only have to think about un-clipping ; its done. yet not so loose that my feet bounce off when going through rough sections.

newbiemtb

Likes Bikes
have you tried adjusting the release mechanism on your pedals?
i have mine set quite loose on my freeride bike. they are loose enough that i only have to think about un-clipping ; its done. yet not so loose that my feet bounce off when going through rough sections.

i have the time roc attacks so there is no tension adjust, only angle of the cleats can be adjusted. I'm not sure if i want them too loose though in case they slip out while going over jumps. I use to have spds where my foot became unclipped because the tension wasn't tight enough and i almost landed badly because of it coming off a drop.

triedntested

Likes Bikes
Rather than going to flats, I think your best bet is to get better at unclipping when things get dicey.

How long have you been using them? Took me a good 6 months before it became second nature to un-clip when you're about to stack.

And if your pedals can't be loosened maybe buy some cheap ones that can, makes things a lot easier.

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
have you cosidered platform clip-less? I used DX SPDs for a while and could clip-out and stand over the sketchy bits.

newbiemtb

Likes Bikes
Rather than going to flats, I think your best bet is to get better at unclipping when things get dicey.

How long have you been using them? Took me a good 6 months before it became second nature to un-clip when you're about to stack.

And if your pedals can't be loosened maybe buy some cheap ones that can, makes things a lot easier.
yeah i dont want to go to flats. i've had the Time roc atacs for about 4 months i think. The crash happened after i'd been using them for about 3 months. It's almost impossible to unclip when your about to fall off northshore thuogh. Whats the best way to get off northshore when you know your becoming unbalanced? ocassionally i get locked in in rockgardens as well with the pedals and can't unclip when i'm about to stack.

Peter650

Likes Dirt
You just dont need clipless pedals.Get some flats and start having some fun.Ihad a fixed gear mtb rode it up to 80ks on dirt no brakes only ever had flat pedals on it.If you can not get up a hill on flats walk up it.That way when you come to the NS you can ride it instead of walking around it.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You just dont need clipless pedals.Get some flats and start having some fun.Ihad a fixed gear mtb rode it up to 80ks on dirt no brakes only ever had flat pedals on it.If you can not get up a hill on flats walk up it.That way when you come to the NS you can ride it instead of walking around it.
I have fun using clips i enjoy the fact that i can go faster with clips and riding up the hill is so much more satisfying than walking.

le chat

Likes Dirt
Flats all the way, I also run them on the commuter, can't see the joy of being attached to a speeding hulk of metal, especially of you go riding woodwork.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lets not turn this into clips vs. flats, because flats will lose, the only logical reason to runs flats is for freestyle work, or because you're a pussy, simple.

I have crashed many time when I used to ride flats and I don't crash as bad now that I run clipless because the bike helps keep me attached to the ground where it's safe.