Clip/Flat Pedal

shnizza

Likes Dirt
i wont to start racing XC so i wont cleats for that but my m8 realy dosent wont me to get them as he's worried i will kill him.
so i thought i could get Clip/Flat Pedals
are these any good?
what are the best ones to get?

thanks in advance

Plow King

Little bit.
It's not really worth getting a clip/flat pedal IMO. The ones I see are bottom of the line buggers that look quite flimsy, best off getting a double sided pedal with a big platform.

Check out the shimano. 424, 525 and 647. The 647 being the best,

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
want
want!
mate
really
doesn't
want!!!

My advice is that clips are not worth the hassle. There isn't enough benefit to be had to justify using them over a set of flats, especially when you consider the massive amount of benefit in using a clipless system. just invest in a set of clipless pedals plus shoes to suit and learn to use them. It's a reasonably short learning curve so you'll have it down within a couple of rides and you'll never look back. the worst that will happen to you is that you'll forget to unclip at a set of lights or when you stop and you'll fall over when the bike stops moving. other than that, there is no other risk to be concerned by.

shnizza

Likes Dirt
yer im fine with using them as i have them on my road bike
but when you go down hills and shit do they get a bit annoying if u stack
and are the alright to walk in as if we get lost we walk up the hills we just came down and they are full of roots and shit

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Who puts their feet down to go round corners? Mountain shoes are designed to be able to be walked around in, road shoes are wearable, but much more problematic.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
I have specialized BG shoes (the higher end ones) and they're fine to walk around in once you get used to them. Also I found that if you have the tension set properly on your pedals you rarely stay clipped in during a stack.

axertes

Likes Dirt
Hey. I had the same issue a while back and made this thread. The conclusion we came to is that there are no effective clip/flat pedals. Since then I have bought some Time clipless and some cheap Wellgo flats, and use them both. I use clips on the commute, and the platforms on trails, because I'm still a newb and not confident enough in the rough stuff in clipless.

Read the thread anyway, ad if you have more questions just ask.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
if i just get normal cleats what do people think about the egg beater ones by crank brothers
I run Egg Beaters exclusively, but I'm perhaps a little biased. They're a good pedal, easy to engage, Don't clog up with mud as easily as others, are light, pretty much completely rebuildable by yourself and good level of "float".

Complaints? They can be a bit hard to disengaged if you're not used to them or the cleats are new (though I don't have any problems these days). The cleats themselves can wear out relatively quickly but have found the "premium" cleats you can buy or are shipped with higher end pedals last pretty well. They can be somewhat prone to rock damage if you bang your foot hard into one, you can also "unclip" when this happens as it whacks the wings on the other side. You are less likely to do that though with the platform versions (candy,acid,mallet etc..)

I like 'em. they're just a simple, good, lightweight pedal. Time do a good pedal too (ATAC) that's perhaps not as light though

*shrug*

Cheers
Gonz

Viv92

Eats Squid
Clipless (the ones with cleats in the shoes that you 'click' into the pedals with) are easily worth it. Your mate is full of s***. You get a bit more control of the bike and they really help hoping the back wheel over obstacles like logs and rocks. The power increase is pretty big, clipless is the way to go.

You will have a few gumby stacks at the start, but after a while you'll get the hang of it and you'll be fine. Pretty much 100% of people use clips for XC, which shows how suited they are to it.

Even the cheap shimano ones go fine. M520's are great for the price.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I have done alot of research on this (although I have never actually used them!)

I came up with the Shimano 647 DX pedals and Shimano MP66 DX shoes

fdia75

Squid
Hi,
I went in a XC race for the first time yesterday and used clips for the first time as well.
I had heeps of trouble getting my foot out before I stacked.
I had heeps of fun but it was hard.
Should I stick with the clips?

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, you should. If you commute or do any on road riding, use the clipless then too to help you get used to it. Lowering the tension on the pedals will make it easier to clip out too.

There is a learning curve, but once you've got the hang of it it becomes second nature.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just get some Time Aliums and be done with it.

Get whatever shoes fit your foot and your budget - shoes are way too personal for anything except quality/price recommendations.

If you're on the xc/enduro thread you should be using clipless - period.

PS nobody who uses flats bother to pipe up - you're wierd and your 'friends' are laughing at you behind your back.

Fact.

axertes

Likes Dirt
Should I stick with the clips?
Probably. I'm a complete newb and I have the same conundrum, but obviously you're more experienced than me if you're racing.

What olmate said about using them while commuting is exactly what I do (i.e. I use flats on trails). I'm not confident enough with them on trails, that's all. They're awesome for the commute.

Basically, compared to my (limited) experience, you're on the right track.

Edit: also, +1 for Time pedals.

shane74

Squid
It took me a long time to start using cleats for XC riding but now I would never go back to flat pedals. I have egg beaters and they are really easy for clipping in and out, and are practically indestructible in all weather conditions. The pedal/cleat combo's appear to get clogged up with mud pretty easy (I saw plenty of people at the Otway Odyssey trying to unclog their pedals with a stick).

If you wish to have the use of both cleats and flat pedals, I would recommend getting a pedal spanner and swapping between them whenever you need. Hope that helps.

axertes

Likes Dirt
If you wish to have the use of both cleats and flat pedals, I would recommend getting a pedal spanner and swapping between them whenever you need.
That's what I do. Swapping pedals takes about a minute. Good idea to have some grease handy and grease the thread every couple of changes.

Oh, and a 5/8" spanner works just fine for pedals.

krizbike

Likes Dirt
It took me a long time to start using cleats for XC riding but now I would never go back to flat pedals. I have egg beaters and they are really easy for clipping in and out, and are practically indestructible in all weather conditions. The pedal/cleat combo's appear to get clogged up with mud pretty easy (I saw plenty of people at the Otway Odyssey trying to unclog their pedals with a stick).

If you wish to have the use of both cleats and flat pedals, I would recommend getting a pedal spanner and swapping between them whenever you need. Hope that helps.
Yeah, I did a fairly muddy ride recently with 6 guys. 4 of us had shimano SPDs, and 2 had crank bros. 1 was the bare egg-beaters, the other had the ones with the flat cage around it. All of the Shimano riders (including myself) get really clogged up. I had 3 gumby stacks cos I couldn't even get my feet out of the damn predals. The two crank bros riders had no problems at all.

That said, a friend of mine has gone through 3 sets of crank bros in the time that I have had 1 set of bottom of the line shimano SPDs with the plastic cage. And he also warned me that the cleats wear out real fast (whereas SPDs last forever).

The MTB shoes usually have chunky tread or even screw in studs, that make walking up trails easy (even carrying your bike - damn Otway Odyssey!).

Clipless (of any type) improve power and control a HUGE amount. I have had near stacks when the ability to lift the bike while pedalling has saved me from rather unpleasant introductions to tree roots, boulders, and so on. Not to mention being able to go flat out over rocky, bumpy trails without having to waste muscle power holding my feet on the bike.

So, get some, set them so you can click in and out easily, ride with them a LOT, practice clicking in and out, deal with the occasional stupid stack at the start, and you will grow to love them.

:)