Cleaning your bike - QUESTIONS

j-ro

Likes Dirt
You can use brasso on the inner parts of the rotors, just sparingly to get any rust off. the toothbrush is the best. Spray the entire back end with engine degreeaser occasionally. really rips off the grime and grease and shite.

Rik

logged out
Carby cleaner is awesome for removing grime and grease, but it's nasty business, and will eat through your skin and most likely your paint too.

phreeky

Likes Bikes
Just water and a soft brush then towl dry
use a chain cleaner thingy then relube it
and every once in a while clean the shifter cables whith some teflon spray

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a good way to clean discs
remove them. wash them in the sink with detergent and warm water.
rinse them. then rinse them again.
and finaly rinse them again.
air dry then wipe with new paper towel.
replace touching only the spider.
you now have clean discs.

Fritta

Likes Dirt
live_to_ride said:
first wash you bike with sponge to get shit off, then dry it, after just get heapsa metho and it becomes shiney!!
and then u go and get it dirty the next day. :evil:

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
I'm not going to explain the details of how i go about cleaning my bike because everyone else has pretty much summed it up.
matty_2003 is on the money with the silicon spray though...i use Pedros Bike Lust, its a silicon based bike polish. Do the whole bike with the stuff after a wash and whenever it gets dirty, the mud and dust will just come straight off and not leave any scummy crap behind. Those of you who have seen the photo of my bike and know how clean that was - i used bike lust on it about a month ago and have done no more than hit it with the hose whenever it gets muddy or dirty..and thats the result :)
(p.s...not a good idea to get it anywhere near your discs haha)

G

1.Hose it down
2.Degrease chain
3.Hose it down
4.Lock Discs on
5.Scrub it all down with warm sopay water
6.Hose it down
7.Degrease chain
8.Lube chain
9.Place in sun to dry
10.Go out and get it dirty again

Cruz

Likes Dirt
A lot of good tips here and some other not so good.
1. WD40 type sprays are not lubricants as such but degreasers which will make things free up for a while and then slowly get crappy again.
2. Carby spray is a slightly weaker version of Brake Clean spray which is not to be used near paint, greased pieces, and rubber.
3. I would not put a hard garden pressure hose near my bike let alone a high pressure cleaner, all you do is push the crap inside your parts.
4. Only use grease that wont affect rubber seals, get a grease that you can use on all parts of your bike like Belray etc, not anything with lithium in it.
5. Lanogaurd is good but do not use it in hot temperatures as it will just become runny and leave your bike like an ice block at the beach.
6. Don't lube pulley wheels on rear mechs as they run better dry, lube just attracts dirt there.

Just things I have learnt over the years.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good points cruz.
i remember watching a guy spraying wd40 on a moto chain once. 5 minutes later he was complaining how lousey the chain sounded. no-one had explained to him about chain lube, not wd40. wrecked a $200 chain in less than 1 1/2 hours.......

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
damn recked $200 chain
who out there uses Mr. Sheen to polish their bikes? good idea or bad?

schwing

Likes Dirt
my method for what its worth.
Long version of fuzzy's I think ( edit )
Mild pressure hose (flat setting if you got one them adjust nozzles) at the worst stuff. avoid hubs and headset with direct pressure.

Small amount car wash detergent in a bucket of water (it's quite mild and leaves littel residue)

Brush over with dustpan type little broom, and old paint brush or cloth for tight spots.

mild pressure hose (avoiding handlebars and associated pods and levers)
get all soap off and mud

Scrubbing brush on chain and hose through links

shake water off. (short ride ?)
wipe over with cloth with some wd40 on cloth , do not apply directly to bike.
pay attention to cables with this cloth
small amountof wd40 on deraileurs (mist it on and wipe it off 0
finnal wipe with soft cloth

lube chain and deraileurs, maybe cables if using dry lube.

PS this is done by me nearly after every muddy ride , sometime a day or so later , and say every third ride otherwise