Cleaning rotors with Simple Green?

x1886x

Squid
I was wondering what your opinions are on cleaning a dirty (oily) rotor with Simple Green ? I cant seem to find definitive information on this topic. The information Ive found ranges from
"No don't do it! It will leave residue on your rotors causing it to squeal"
to
"Yeah, you should be fine"
What do you guys think?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Use a Brake Contact Cleaner.

That looks like a household cleaner... :juggle:

x1886x

Squid
Use a Brake Contact Cleaner.

That looks like a household cleaner... :juggle:
The reason I looked into Simple Green was due to seeing it referred to as being a good degreaser for general bike cleaning on various forums. Ill check out some brake contact cleaners though

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It's preferable to not clean rotors unless absolutely necessary (oil on them is a case of absolutely necessary), but if you do, then an alcohol-based cleaner (including metho or isopropyl) is the way to go. Anything hydrocarbon-based will replace one oily residue with another one.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
It's preferable to not clean rotors unless absolutely necessary (oil on them is a case of absolutely necessary), but if you do, then an alcohol-based cleaner (including metho or isopropyl) is the way to go. Anything hydrocarbon-based will replace one oily residue with another one.
.... I did not know that!

Thanks Duck'

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And then the more pure the alcohol, the less residue is left on rotor when it evaporates.

That's a good thing.

willsy01

Eats Squid
In a pinch, hot water with dishwashing detergent will work......not as good as isopropyl, but a decent alternative.