Choosing the correct rear derailleur?

brad353

Likes Dirt
After breaking the cage on my SLX derailleur, I've had a look and it doesn't look like I can just get a replacement cage (please, correct me if I'm wrong).

So I was gonna get a new XT rear derailleur off CRC. But hang on, there's like four different XT rear derailleurs, what the? The shadow M772, shadow M771, rapid rise M770, and the Shadow 10speed M773.

I have a 10 speed cassette so I'm guessing I want the shadow 10 speed, but what are the others? Will the others work ok to? Confusing. Same goes for all the models, there are multiple models within the models. How do you work out what you need?

ac_DHer

Likes Dirt
Well to start with, you can get replacement cages for the SLX derailleur but if you have smashed the cage the chances of the whole rear derailleur being bent is rather high. Probably best to take it to the LBS and see what they think about saving it. Only thing being the cost of the parts may make it not worth it.

As for the other derailleurs on CRC the M772 is a shadow RD and the M771 is a conventional RD. As for the rapid rise thats not want you are after as the spring tension is reversed.

So long story short go for the 10sp Shadow XT Rear derailleur medium or long cage up to you, depends on what bike you have.

Last edited:

brad353

Likes Dirt
thanks man, that helps a little. i will be ordering the 10 speed. but for future reference, whats the "shadow" mean over the "conventional"? and what's it mean by the rapid rise having the spring tension reversed? i've recently bought my first decent quality geared bike so i wanna suss this out now, then i'll never have to ask again.

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
Shadow means its thinner, doesn't stick out quite as much. But it makes the tuning and maintenance a bitch.

edmo

Likes Bikes
Having a rapid rise derailleur means that the shifter levers work in the opposite way to normal. So pushing what's normally the 'big lever' puts you in a higher gear at the back (smaller cog).