Chix weekend at Thredbo March 11-12, 2006

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Hey girls, if you want to give DH a go, then rock up to this girls only weekend at Thredbo....

Guys, if you have a girlfriend that watches you ride and sounds like she might be interested in having a go, this is the weekend to try it out.

I just saw so many girls at the Interschools over the weekend, heaps of them riding around on bikes in the village, but bugger all having a go in any of the races....

I asked Col to mention it at the Presentations yesterday, but it sort of got stuck on the end as people were leaving.

I did it last year and it was fun.... no macho guys pushing you around, just girls riding together and having fun.... having a go at stuff or getting off and walking if it was too much, then trying it again next time down.

The Friday night social ride down to Tom Groggin was an absolute buzz and family can do that one with you...

The year before that the social ride was out to Bob's Ridge.. the first time I'd been on MTB, it was a great introduction into MTB riding, but sadly I couldn't do the camp due to kids sporting events.

I dont' have any vested interests in this event, other than wanting to see more girls on bikes!!!!!!

Camp details here

928stu

Likes Dirt
This sounds kewl - my daughter would be into this :)
Pitty it's on the same weekend as CORC's next race - 11-12 March.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
I'm guessing YOU are the one racing, not her???

So.... if that is the case is there a female that can take her to Thredbo.... seeing it is a chix weekend and all ;) perhaps they might both end up MTB riders :D

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BrumbyJack said:
I'm guessing YOU are the one racing, not her???
I think the issue is a bigger one than it seems. The CORC race 928Stu is referring to is at Thredbo.
This means that while the chix are trying to learn in a non threatening environment there will be racers hauling ass down the same hill.
Don't forget that a CORC club race includes some seriously fast dudes. (not me among them, alas)
Methinks You, Col and Sam need to have a chinwag as to scheduling. Your schedule has a sunday expression session @ 1:30, which is when the race runs would be happening.
Hate to see a clash meaning the women are scared off by this experience as I think it's a great idea.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Hmmm... last time I heard, that race wasn't going to be on at Thredbo. He had mentioned Batemans Bay!!! That was a while ago though.

I will check it out with Sam....

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Just sent him a PM.

I'm sure if they are both on at the same time, schedules for the Chix can be worked around it... i.e. do the MTNX session at that time or something like that.

I'm not organising either event, but would certainly try and help any clashes be avoided.

Last year we had to deal with snow on the Saturday!!! So we did the mechanial workshop in the morning and shuttle runs on the Golf Course in the afternoon, but were looking at bussing the bikes to Mt Gladstone near Cooma.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
sorry, dumb question, but is the mountain closed to boys?? Or could i go down and ride thredbo while my gf does the camp??

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Cave Dweller said:
sorry, dumb question, but is the mountain closed to boys?? Or could i go down and ride thredbo while my gf does the camp??
Not a dumb question at all....

The mountain is definitely open to everyone on the Chix Weekend... The girls just ride together in a group with their instructor... who was VERY quick to warn us when riders were coming so we could get out of the way.

My son and two of his mates were up there riding at the same time as me last year.

We spent a fair bit of time on the village trail, not snakes and ladders, but that would depend on who was in the group....

It is a very participant driven event... i.e. it is up to the Girls what they want to do, the schedule is not set in concrete.

I can imagine if it was the girls from last year, some of them probably would have chosen to do a race run while a few others would have been happier doing an XC loop.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
BrumbyJack said:
Not a dumb question at all....

The mountain is definitely open to everyone on the Chix Weekend... The girls just ride together in a group with their instructor... who was VERY quick to warn us when riders were coming so we could get out of the way.

My son and two of his mates were up there riding at the same time as me last year.

We spent a fair bit of time on the village trail, not snakes and ladders, but that would depend on who was in the group....

It is a very participant driven event... i.e. it is up to the Girls what they want to do, the schedule is not set in concrete.

I can imagine if it was the girls from last year, some of them probably would have chosen to do a race run while a few others would have been happier doing an XC loop.
OK, thanks, i got confused when you said girl weekend only at thredbo.

So the $249 includes the initiation, lift tickets, shuttles, nothing else to pay for? (besides if you need armour)

And you end up riding a mix of XC/DH depending on the skill level of those attending?? I don't think she would like a day of hitting the cannonball run, its a bit ruff.

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
damn it no fair! why cant my hand be beter!

oh well il just have to keep harasing my friends to ride from down here:D

Hope the event runs smoothly and and many convertions are made!

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BrumbyJack said:
Maybe it's worth talking to Cal and Sam and seeing if the participants (that want to) can have a race run with us?
They've already got a lift ticket and insurance so I'm sure it'd be no drama giving them a start time. We run decent gaps in between classes so I don't think it would be too intimidating.

Slave

Likes Dirt
Just a shame that Thredbo doesn't have more than one run. Graded runs like they have during the ski season. Blue, green, black - double black diamonds!! Girls or not, any sort of new rider should be able to give Thredbo a go just for the chairlift alone, not too many other places that you can get that sort of elevation that easy. And crazy riders should be able to extreme stuff.

Threbo has been open to bikes for ages (and ages) so to still have one trail is a little strange (heard it all before so National Parks what ever blah blah) fact is Thredbo needs more than one run.

My point is that I've taken newbies on lots of DH rides and if they have a bad first experience then they don't come back.

Walking down steep sections of DH trails is harder than riding them.

Maybe better just to lobby for more than one track at Thredbo.

S.P.G.

Likes Dirt
I am interested but not kinda done dh yet, is there a class for beginners? Or even better, an easier trail? :eek: .. i know there is no harm in having a go, id just like to be with people of my ability hehe.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Last year us girls rode the Village Trail for most of the afternoon, while the more confident riders used Snakes and Ladders....

Trust me, I am a total wimp, so you can hang out with me :D

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Slave, the Golf Course Track is a good place to take beginners, then Meadows Single Track if they can handle the Golf Course track ok... no need to use the chair for either.

Pipeline Path is the easiest track of all!!!!

Slave

Likes Dirt
BrumbyJack, going to Thredbo, riding DH and NOT using the chairlift is like going to the pub and not drinking grog. To a lot of people Thredbo is in the middle of nowhere (with a nice park entry fee as well). The chairlift is essential for the Thredbo experience.

Windshuttle99, as I said in my post I've heard it all before regarding the lone trail at Thredbo.

Just a shame that Perisher never got the MTB trails that were promised ages ago. Competition improves the breed and law of the jungle prevails. How blown out does one DH track need to get before it's replaced?

Taking nothing away from Thredbo, I had a seasons pass to Thredbo last summer. But riders do need to be at a particular level before going there or you may scare the novice riders away for good - it doesn't sound like that's the goal.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Cave Dweller said:
OK, thanks, i got confused when you said girl weekend only at thredbo.

So the $249 includes the initiation, lift tickets, shuttles, nothing else to pay for? (besides if you need armour)

And you end up riding a mix of XC/DH depending on the skill level of those attending?? I don't think she would like a day of hitting the cannonball run, its a bit ruff.
That does not include a bike..... If she doesn't have one or can't ride yours, then she would need to hire one, I think there is a special hire rate for the weekend, but don't quote me on that one... i.e. just ask nicely :)

I think River Inn and The House of Ullr had special rates for the Saturday night accommodation last year, but no idea if they do this year.

We ended up having dinner at Bernti's last year as there was a few vegetarians and Ullr don't have any veg. meals. The year before it was at one of the really fancy places... (I didn't go).

Dates & times: March 11-12, 2006

Instructors: Experienced Raw NRG instructors

Cost: $249.00

Extras:

Bikes & Armour are available for hire.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Slave,

You can ride at Perisher... I've done it twice.

Very boring!!!!! Nice view once you get over to Guthega. You just have to stick to the fire trails/access roads... just like NPWS wanted to make Thredbo go back to!!!!! :eek:

The road to/from Blue Cow is deceptively steep, in both directions ;)

Slave

Likes Dirt
Ahhh yes, I remember when Thredbo ran the access road from basically top to bottom, now that was fast - although dodging the 4wds driving up was interesting. Good for learning drift action though.