cheap DH

sut

Squid
Have been looking at the DH bikes for sale in the US aand their is a new bike brand called the Wayless, has decent specs, dont want one just want to know what you all think of this idea to bring cheaper DH bikes out while not trying to be a cool brand name.

Ryan

Radministrator
As I understand it, Weyless is supergo.com's home brand. They're made in Taiwan, produced in bulk thanks to supergo's unholy buying power and fitted out with components at a stupid cheap price also derived from said unholy buying power. No idea on the quality of the frames, but being made in Taiwan you can safely assume that they're high quality.
Cheaper bikes of a high quality is a great idea IMO, the low participation rates in MTB are, in part, driven by the fact that it's an expensive sport to get into, cheaper bikes = higher participation = media exposure = money = more interest in the sport = higher demand for bikes = cheaper bikes *repeat*

S.

ex offender
Weyless tend to do EXACT copies of other brands' bikes, eg Santa Cruz Superlight. Yeah they're cheap, but I have no idea what the quality is like.

ego

Likes Bikes
There is a write up about the weyless 67 in March 2003 Mountain Bike Action.Ive got a copy of it if you are that keen Ill give it to you.

adam

Likes Dirt
yeah, MTBAction had a review. they basically said that while the quality isnt as good as some of the better brands, it is a good bike at a great price. So yeah, sounds like a nice bike for the price.

I think a lot of people will see it as a entry level bike, and not up to pro quality. I dont know how it holds up to some of the bigger hits but it seemed to go alright in the test.

Adam

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is a good thing I believe, if we want the sport to grow... It just makes quality frames more appreciated. As long as they are of decent quality, there's no harm.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think to get more people into the sport there need to be cheaper bikes
that can take the punishment

obviously they will be lower quality but aslong as they can take a bit of punishment which a beginner rider who is most likely going to case jumps
land ackwardly etc it should be able

a lot of people ( me including) tried to get into the sport buying a cheaper bike thinking that its going to last, but you soon realise that even if you dont do jumps and drops, going down a track takes a lot of abuse on components
and the frame

so yeah its a good step for the sport as long as they can take the abuse, there will always be a market for the high end stuff

S.

ex offender
RaID said:
i think to get more people into the sport there need to be cheaper bikes
that can take the punishment

obviously they will be lower quality but aslong as they can take a bit of punishment which a beginner rider who is most likely going to case jumps
land ackwardly etc it should be able

a lot of people ( me including) tried to get into the sport buying a cheaper bike thinking that its going to last, but you soon realise that even if you dont do jumps and drops, going down a track takes a lot of abuse on components
and the frame

so yeah its a good step for the sport as long as they can take the abuse, there will always be a market for the high end stuff
One word: Norco.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon they would be alright :) Be honest with you, If they were given a different name and distributed regularly to other shops, would you by them if you found them for cheap? My answer woudl be yes, especially with easton rad tubing. They have a frame similar to the yeti asx which I reckon woudl be the goods :) Check them and don't be persuaded otherwise just because of brand name.