changing front to SS

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
hello :D

at the moment i have a LX groupset on my bike and i wanna chage the front to a single gear, is this easy done? and what would i need?
i wanna keep the gears on the back if possible or will this put to much wear on the chain and cassette when it's in the top or bottom gears?

thanks for ya help!

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, you can run a single chainring up front and still keep your 8-9 gears at the back. But you'll need a chainguide to keep your chain on the ring when you take the front derailleur off.
There isn't any change in wear on the cassette just because of running a single front chainring.

alexMc

Likes Dirt
MUGEN said:
Yes, you can run a single chainring up front and still keep your 8-9 gears at the back. But you'll need a chainguide to keep your chain on the ring when you take the front derailleur off.
There isn't any change in wear on the cassette just because of running a single front chainring.
Or just keep the front derailier om...:rolleyes:

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
MUGEN said:

cool, what do i need in parts? can i keep the LX cranks?

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
alexMc said:
Or just keep the front derailier om...:rolleyes:
and then let the chain drop when back pedalling....:rolleyes:

You can keep your cranks, but you'll need a chainguide, what bike is this going to be on? Does it have ISCG mounts (tabs on the BB shell for a chainguide)?

Last edited:

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
MUGEN said:
You can keep your cranks, but you'll need a chainguide, what bike is this going to be on? Does it have ISCG mounts (tabs on the BB shell for a chainguide)?
it's an old shogun slickrock LX (when it did use LX parts and a merida frame)
dont know what the mounts are :S

wombat

Lives in a hole
Bobby_Digital said:
it's an old shogun slickrock LX (when it did use LX parts and a merida frame)
dont know what the mounts are :S
Alright, well you won't have ISCG on that frame, so you'll have to use a "BB flange mount" chainguide. The chainguide is going to be the expensive thing, expect to pay anywhere from $200-$350 for a guide, with the really good units being 300 or more. A chainguide isn't completely essential for the bike to be rideable, but if you're going to be riding hard on the trails it's definately a good idea as it'll save you some nasty accidents.

Aside from that, you should be able to get away with running your current middle ring provided it's in good shape, and gives you appropriate gearing, so you shouldn't need to buy many other parts.

Oh, just a quick thought, what's the chainring mounting pattern on your LX cranks (where the chainring bolts on)?

tanlicouz

Likes Dirt
Who needs a chain guide, just learn to be smooth, real smooth, smooth to the point where the bike doesnt even think is moving, then the chain won't fall off :p ,
if you do just want the single chain ring in the front, why don't you just keep the derailer on without the calbe and everyhting so it acts as a chain guide. That way you can go SS on the front AND not spend a fortune getting a chain guide