Chainring touching E-13 guide :( Pictures for those who want them

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, I put on a E13 Guide onto my STP and this is what I did (See below) But the chain ring is touching the guide :confused:

1- I pulled BB off and put the silver ring/mount thing onto it and put the BB on again.

2- I Attached the actual guide part onto it and did it up nice and tight, the chain ring didn't fit on so I removed one of the two washers that were in between the mount and the guide and that didn't help so I removed the other and still the same problem!

3- I still have a Truvativ bash ring on it but when I removed it I realised that the bolts were too long and that it would do up properly without the bash ring on.

4- I gave up.

Any help would be, well, Helpful!?

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited:

Grantieboy

Likes Dirt
hi mate
firstly what type of e 13 is it and lg1 because there is a difference between that and the standard one. when you say the bolts are to long i presume you mean they tight up before they can put pressure on the chain ring and the cranks? if thisis the case then you have to go to your lbs and get some shorter ones. and posting up piccies would be a great idea because it can give all of us a better idea of what is going on.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey tight up before they can put pressure on the chain ring and the cranks?
You got it! I would but I think they would be closed at this time :p
But I probably will tomorrow.

From Underneath as you can see the chain ring and the bash guard touches it.

From above, " "

Not sure what type but it looks like a LG1
I stole it off my mates bike which he left at my place after he gave up riding. (Ironhorse Yakuza Kumichio)

Edit: Its a 2006 E13 LG1 Chainguide w/ 38t ring

Last edited:

Jimass

Eats Squid
You could always file the bolts down a tad. I have an LG 1 on my DH bike... Can you actually run a bash ring with them?

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dont think so, but it wouldn't matter anyway seeing as the chain ring touches it before the guard does.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just went and borrowed some bolts off my DH and took the bash guard off, same problem is still there! :(

LUCIEN6PACK

Likes Dirt
spacers or flip it

It looks like you need to run some spacers between the iscg mount and your bb cup/bearing , they come in 1mm and 2mm etc . It only takes 1 to get it right . Or you may need to flip the iscg mount over to make the plate closer to your frame . As for the bashguard with the lg1 , not so sure about that, but if you can make it fit , why not . Good luck

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Had the same problem with my stp's lg1. Make some measurements (how far the chainring needs to be moved out from the inner plate) and buy whatever size spacer fits. If there is still a small amount of rubbing the e13 boomerang is designed to have an amount of give for bending the top/bottom in abit.

jumphead

Likes Dirt
mmmm, same problem on my glory, but instead of the chainrings hitting the granny ring mounts of my crank arm hit the bomberang of the E13, i still have not had an luck at all. The iscg mounts are on the glory and cant be moved further away so im stuck!!

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, they are a bit of a pain in the rear to set-up.
You need to space them correctly so that the chainring doesn't rub on the side of the guide. (obviously)
What I did was just put a few spacers between the top cage and the backplate until it was centre and it is perfect.
Same with the bottom roller part.
Try flipping the ISCG adaptor over and see if it brings the guide in abit closer to your frame.

Last edited:

bipyjamas

Likes Dirt
mmmm, same problem on my glory, but instead of the chainrings hitting the granny ring mounts of my crank arm hit the bomberang of the E13, i still have not had an luck at all. The iscg mounts are on the glory and cant be moved further away so im stuck!!
It's quite common for that to happen, most people just grind the granny tabs off as you'll never use them anyways if you're on a single ring guide.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's the one downfall of e13 guides, IMHO.
I tried to fit the same guide to my Trance (DS setup) with triple-ring cranks running just a middle-ring-positioned DH ring/bash ring.
Bollox.
If the Taco mount bolt didn't hit the frame (beware those with curvy downtubes...), then the granny tabs rubbed the back plate, no matter how I spaced the BB, left or right (with a useable chainline).
Some bikes and these guides just aren't happy, ISCG mounts or not.
Cranks with granny tabs (so ALL freeride/dual ring, and triple ring) seem to hit the back plate.
Even swapping the ISCG bracket around didn't fix the problem (made it worse).
Seems e13s are really only made for specific DH setups (fair enough) with cranks that don;t have granny tabs...
I changed to a Gamut, and all my problems disappeared.
Better design, I believe, though I really wanted the e13 at the time - not that that solves your problem.
I believe you'll have to grind down the granny tabs or change cranks, then get the spacers right, if you want this to fit.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okie Dokie,
Well I swapped the mount around and it actually lets you tighten up the crank so that it will sit in there but when I put the chain on it starts rubbing again.
First of all, where 'bouts do these spacers go?
And how much would it cost to get a 1mm from my LBS? Just a rough estimate is fine.

Cheers and thanks for all the help so far!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
There are spacers that you can put behind the bottom Bracket cup.

This will move the cup and therefore the axle and crank out a bit.

This should all be in the instructions

jumphead

Likes Dirt
It's the one downfall of e13 guides, IMHO.
I tried to fit the same guide to my Trance (DS setup) with triple-ring cranks running just a middle-ring-positioned DH ring/bash ring.
Bollox.
If the Taco mount bolt didn't hit the frame (beware those with curvy downtubes...), then the granny tabs rubbed the back plate, no matter how I spaced the BB, left or right (with a useable chainline).
Some bikes and these guides just aren't happy, ISCG mounts or not.
Cranks with granny tabs (so ALL freeride/dual ring, and triple ring) seem to hit the back plate.
Even swapping the ISCG bracket around didn't fix the problem (made it worse).
Seems e13s are really only made for specific DH setups (fair enough) with cranks that don;t have granny tabs...
I changed to a Gamut, and all my problems disappeared.
Better design, I believe, though I really wanted the e13 at the time - not that that solves your problem.
I believe you'll have to grind down the granny tabs or change cranks, then get the spacers right, if you want this to fit.

Grinding the granny ring mounts of the crank arm, as i did solved the problem of rubbing on the backplate imediatley. BUT, the taco only lets me have it right at the bottom, thus leaving the bottom roller very high, and about 1mm from touching the swing arm. I was wrapped to see it bolt on untill i fully assembled the cranks back on and realised that the chain doesnt have room to bend around the swing arm of the frame :( also im not sure if you need to mount the chainring on the outter or inner side of the crank arm?

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got Husslefelts so I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a granny ring mount, so therefore I can't grind it down. I think I might have to find a way to space out the crank. I might try to get into my LBS tomorrow and ask about it but has anyone got any other Ideas?

shcotty

Likes Bikes
i suggest that you either grind the stuff that is tucking off or change the order from the bottom bracket eg. instead of, chainring, crank mount, guard. make it crankmount chain ring guard