Chain Guide Mounting Types?

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,

Now I have searched and found some info, but nothing specfically what I wanted. Firstly I am sure I am not the only one in saying that all these mounts for chain guides is very confusing, and very frustrating at times. When you think you have purchased the right chain guide, and next thing you know is that you needed a ISCG instead of an ISCG 05.

So really my main question is what are all the mountain types and what are the differences?

I know of a few for example ISCG, ISCG 05, etc, but that the difference between them is, I have no idea and couldn't answer that even if my life depended on it. So if someone could help me out that would be great, and I am sure many other people such as my self may benefit from this thread. I can't believe that I would be the only person unsure.

Also, whats the deal if you have no chain guide mounts at all? I have heard something that you have to replace the BB and and then one will fit on some how. But could some one also explain what it is called, how that works and is it quite an expensive exercise?

Thanks guys, all info will be helpful. But if you could list each type of mounting device and then put a definition against it, like a dictionary, that would be awesome.;)

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
most chainguides these days come with the bb adapter that you just use as a spacer when you screw the bb in

iscg has a larger distance from the top hole to the bottom hole then 05, or is it the other way around, i get confused, i just triple check what i need before i buy it

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nick your thilly.

There are 2 types of chain guide mount: ISCG OLD, and ISCG 05.

ISCG OLD: This is the mounting style for frames made before 2006.
ISCG 05: This is the mounting syle for frames made in 2006 or later.

Now, onto the issue of an ISCGless frame.

If your frame does not have an ISCG mount of any sort when you buy a chain guide it sometimes comes with an ISCG adaptor. I know that with e.13 if you buy a guide it always comes with an adaptor.
The adaptor just fits behind the BB against the face of the BB shell and acts like an ISCG mount on a normal frame.

You owe me a hug.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nick your thilly.

There are 2 types of chain guide mount: ISCG OLD, and ISCG 05.

ISCG OLD: This is the mounting style for frames made before 2006.
ISCG 05: This is the mounting syle for frames made in 2006 or later.

Now, onto the issue of an ISCGless frame.

If your frame does not have an ISCG mount of any sort when you buy a chain guide it sometimes comes with an ISCG adaptor. I know that with e.13 if you buy a guide it always comes with an adaptor.
The adaptor just fits behind the BB against the face of the BB shell and acts like an ISCG mount on a normal frame.

You owe me a hug.
not really, my 2007 orange has iscg old

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers Welshy, I will give you a big hug next time I see you. That does make sense. So one of those ISCG adapters should fix the problem for my mate.
A biiiiig hug. Yes, it will fix it, as long as he spaces it out right with the BB.

If he has a 68mm BB shell with any "Shimano" style BB (forgot the name right now) he will normally have 3 spacers. With the adaptor he now only has 2.

B.J

Likes Dirt
I'm having the same probs I have 06 demo 8 with a old iscg mount, then I look at the e13 specs they say to use a 05 chainguide so I don't know how that works if I got a old ISCG mount. I can't get a chain guide to fit. I put the 05 spacer on & I run out of lenght on bb. Do I need a longer bb to fit my chain guide on?