Chain breaker tool, which one?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Spoke to riding friend who is into motorbikes and chainsaws.
He said that if you grind or drill out some of the flared outside bit of the pin, it will make it easier to remove.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’m a bit confused by this thread. I’ve got a couple of chainbreakers including a OneUp edc one which I used on the trail on the weekend and a Park one. Maybe another cheap shit one in the drawer too. I’ve never had any issues popping pins out of 11sp or any chain really. Are people really finding it that difficult they need to take to it with a grinder or drill bit? As long as the tool has decent leverage it shouldn’t be a difficult thing to do surely.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Dont worry its prolly just me and the tool was a bit buggered thread before I started and I am nearly 70 yo so my hands are a bit arthritic.
Maybe at another time the pin wasnt perfectly lined up I dont know.
I have worked on lots of bikes, I find 9 speed chains the pins push out easily ,10 speed harder but 11 and 12 speed are much harder again.
because they are narrower and potentially wear faster, the manufacturers have to really make them tight.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I had a really cheap chain breaker that came in a bike tools kit. It was awesome. I loaned it to a friend who then lost it... Since then I've gone through a few chain breakers. Not because they get destroyed, but because some of them have shit handles in the quest for smaller and lighter tools.

Dont worry its prolly just me and the tool was a bit buggered thread before I started and I am nearly 70 yo so my hands are a bit arthritic.
Maybe at another time the pin wasnt perfectly lined up I dont know.
I have worked on lots of bikes, I find 9 speed chains the pins push out easily ,10 speed harder but 11 and 12 speed are much harder again.
because they are narrower and potentially wear faster, the manufacturers have to really make them tight.
I have this one now that I use the most:

It's easy to use, doesn't hurt my hands and you can get replaceable pins if you happen to mangle that part.

I've got the Topeak one that oddjob linked. That one stays in the tool kit that I chuck in the car.

A couple of years ago I was given a Specialized top cap chain breaker (it lives in the steerer tube on my bike). I finally got to use that on a group ride recently. It worked perfectly fine on a 12sp SRAM chain.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
I did have one chain breaker that seems to be made of cheese - I stuck with that for ages and it seems really hard to use. Ended up bending that (that's how soft it was) and got a Lezyne one and was amazed how much easier it was so I suspect it's probably more of a product quality issue rather than leverage.

1711494856117.png