CBR Trails for a visitor

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Bringing the hardtail on the family tour to Canberra in the first week of December, and anticipate having at least most of a day off to ride.
What's the recommendation for a good 'best of' of the local trails. Stromlo? Anywhere else? Any particular favourites?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Stromlo and Bruce ridge are relatively close with each other. I haven’t ridden majura for ages and have no idea the condition it’s in but you could pair any of this three for a top day.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Majura was in excellent order when I was last there a couple of months ago.

And Kowen and Sparrow hill still have plenty of trails.

Stromlo is probably the easiest to navigate to and around if it’s your first time here.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Stromlo, Maj and Kowen/Sparrow are the top 3 must visit for sure.

Bruce, Jerra, Tuggers, Isaacs, Centenary trail etc are also good but definitely sitting below those 3^^

I'd go Stromlo first.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Stromlo definitely. You could easily spend your whole day there.

On the hardtail I'd suggest Kowen over Majura. Only downside is that Kowen is a bit of a drive from Stromlo.

Majura is great at the moment, but part of that is the 2 redone lines (old downhill lines) which get a bit rocky. I haven't tired riding them on hardtail, but definitely appreciate the longer travel bike there.

Jerra is great too, but its hard to get the most out of it without knowing someone to show you the trails.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Cheers guys. Looks like stromlo is a must-do then.

So far the highlights will be the nat. gallery, arboretum, and stromlo.

I've had a couple of big nights at mooseheads in years gone by but perhaps not this trip ;)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If you like beer then Bent Spoke is the place to go, that or Old Canberra In, if you like history (food is pretty decent there too).

I know that if I end up at Mooseheads then something has gone badly wrong.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
If you like beer then Bent Spoke is the place to go, that or Old Canberra In, if you like history (food is pretty decent there too).

I know that if I end up at Mooseheads then something has gone badly wrong.
I remember one night which started with a fancy dinner with various ambassadors in a decadent function room, and then finished up at mooseheads. I think the taxi ride in between marked the zenith of my career.

Bent spoke sounds like beer + bikes = hipster bar. Melbourne supplanted.

Shall check it out.

Cheers

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, sounds like a hipster bar but it's not. Just an inhouse brew joint in Bradden.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
So just back from a big morning at stromlo before the rain arrives.

Riding the 29er hardtail.

I have ridden there previously but only really tootled around with a mate for lazy kicks. This time started out with the brother in law doing a beginner loop, but he had to bail shortly into it.
I found my way up the hill via cockatoo switchbacks and then up luge. I'm this wasn't the regular route! Then up some fire road to the top and across to West wedgetail and down pork barrel, double disollution, then green runs to home.
Highlight was pork barrel.
Unfortunately it was far too humid so I didn't have it in me to go back out. Perhaps later in the week.

Overall, it's quite a lot more 'natural' than I expected.

Good times