Careful on the trails

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
My local area Gap Creek has numerous beware of the wild dogs signs around,
About 12 months ago when I first started night riding,
I was riding solo at around 12AM (enjoy the late night rides, get the whole place to yourself.

As i started to climb out the forest and head home the light ran out of battery, so I had about a 45min walk in the pitch dark. DOGS HOWLING. Not one or two but numerous howls and barks, in different directions and all within a kilometre by my ears

Genuinely felt a good chill down my spine, and very vulnerable the forest.

Once my eyes adjusted I rode balls to the wall up that fire road, thankfully the moon was bright on this night.

About a month later around the same time (12am), I saw some bizarre ball of light floating in the forest, orange in colour and about the size of a soccer ball. There was just one and it kind of danced around between the trees, not 50 metres away, and then just vanished after a few seconds. I froze stiff, felt cold suddenly - hopped on my bike and I've never pedalled so hard. Surprised I didn't bend the cranks. Nearing the road (high wood road), I look over my shoulder and see it again, further in the distance. Didn't stop to examine it I just gunned it home.

Never been night riding since, sold my Moon 1500 lights on ebay

Happy night rides
Quite frankly, youre silly. By yourself at midnight? Fuck that right off
Ive done a few gap creek night runs (but with a mate) only at 7/8pm. I would never do it again even with others at that time.
Sharing your story for sure.

By the way, have you done any nice drugs? just checking

Last edited:
Quite frankly, youre quite silly. By yourself at midnight? Fuck that right off
Ive done a few gap creek night runs (but with a mate) only at 7/8pm. I would never do it again even with others at that time.
Sharing your story for sure.

By the way, have you done any nice drugs? just checking
Eh, I'm not speeding in my car. Crossing the road without looking. Its not that dangerous..
I was a regular night rider (3 times a week) for many months, I loved it, and only once did my light run out. Id heard the dogs before but it didnt bother me until then.
Probaby will take it up again too,
You see some things you dont see during the day. I saw an echidna, a scorpion, alot of tawny frog mouths, wallabys, all at gap creek.

why were you so scared? If you were with a mate, you should have no worries at all!

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
Not a fan of just pedaling around and prefer to fly down what I can and would often forget about certain obstacles before I had should charged them. Being 5ft8 and 60kg, that didnt go to well. Also just not a fan of the wild at night after solo with wild dogs experience

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

clockworked

Like an orange
About a month later around the same time (12am), I saw some bizarre ball of light floating in the forest, orange in colour and about the size of a soccer ball. There was just one and it kind of danced around between the trees, not 50 metres away, and then just vanished after a few seconds. I froze stiff, felt cold suddenly - hopped on my bike and I've never pedalled so hard. Surprised I didn't bend the cranks. Nearing the road (high wood road), I look over my shoulder and see it again, further in the distance. Didn't stop to examine it I just gunned it home.

Never been night riding since, sold my Moon 1500 lights on ebay

Happy night rides
min min lights? they creep me right out. Logic escapes me

D_Nine

That is definitely worth reporting to the constabulary. I do believe they take a very serious attitude to "booby traps" something like that could seriously maim or injure a person or animal. Let alone the pride an joy !

tex72

Likes Dirt
Found this buried in the trail on our night ride tonight. need to go back and get the rest, there are more.

Mate,seriously!

I would be putting gloves on & bagging anymore up to take down to the cop shop. Should warrant an investigation.
Maybe they could get some fingerprints or something off them. Surely those things constitute a 'mantrap'. Could really cause a nasty injury if you trod or came off your bike onto to that.

I bet you hope you could nail the bastard who has done this to a table with them.:evil:

Locknatious

Likes Bikes
Thats f@#king dangerous!! I wonder what was going through their penut sized brain when they made & placed them on the trail.. f@#king scum

Three

Likes Bikes
We had a lot of booby traps on some local trails recently. At the time, riding on these trails was a grey area in terms of legality (We weren't officially allowed to ride there, but trail work for bikes was planned and rangers didn't mind us riding there)
Funny thing is, it seemed to speed up the trail building for the new work and we were allowed to ride there sooner than expected.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Why have I not seen this thread before??? Wild dogs and strange lights! Great reads in here. Boob traps suck.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Hey Mr Ridenparadise, our trails are in Clandulla state forest, above Kandos NSW.

One of our club members spoke to the Police today and gave them the rundown. I will be contacting the NSW Forestry Corporation next week as well.

These events have prompted us to begin 'formalising' our trails. they've been there for years and never bothered anyone, there's nobody there anyway.

The sequence of events point to a busybody 'weekender'.

Thanks for the cool comments guys.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Boobie Traps? in Clandulla State Forest

Will get in contact with the NSW Orienteering Association about this, as there will be 560+ orienteers in there at Easter.
Lots of children in those numbers. Hopefully some more action will help you guys too.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Will get in contact with the NSW Orienteering Association about this, as there will be 560+ orienteers in there at Easter.
Lots of children in those numbers. Hopefully some more action will help you guys too.
"Officer, the advertising for our event has been widespread and we are sure most locals would know children will be competing, and we can't help but believe that the traps have been knowingly set targeting the children who will be competing at Easter - they were after all, well hidden "

" just between you and me, some other members are going to contact the local paper about it......"

Nothing motivates like the fear of a reprisal from upper management ..