Carbon v-10 is here

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would have a fury in a heartbeat. every bike breaks if you try hard enough.
The fury is carbon for stiffness more than weight savings. the carbon is so friggen thick its not really that lighter frame,
I can't figure out why the Fury isn't on sale yet. It's been raced for two seasons now?

jeremy_2640

Likes Dirt
Looks nice, it already been mention about how when gt when carbon everyone thought no way but when santa cruz do it everyone wants one. What i want to know is how many of these the syndicate will go through this season before i would consider buying one.
They are likely to go through less than the Alu. version providing they have nailed the geometry they want. Carbon fibre has a massive fatigue life (pretty much infinite). Higher impact strength and 2.4 times the specific strength - that and the wall thickness is ~12mm - that bad boy isn't breaking for a long unless it gets run over by a truck.

There's been a lot said already on this thread by noobs who no nothing about carbon: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231589 I can't be bothered writing down.

Bought time another big player brought carbon to downhill.

Last edited:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
theres a few around, saw one 3 weeks ago, I believe one of Mick Hannahs prototype. i think the price tag is too big to warrant people bringing them in, plus being the first legitimate attempt at carbon DH bikes alot of people want to hold off.
Also alot of people arent really that bigger GT fans

These will sell better and we will likely see a few more in the country,
But would like to reiterate people are going to carbon for the benefits of a better material not necessarily for lightness.

Will be a very interesting time to see who else has been working on carbon bikes, I imagine there are a few others and there will be a few hurried press releases

INTENSE DHER

Five cans short of a six pack
not liking the new look front triangle, it looks like a cross country bike, but im loving every thing els about it.

dylan s

Likes Dirt
Santa Cruz website tells me that it got "LIFETIME CRASH REPLACEMENT + 2 YEAR DESIGN DEFECT/MANUFACTURING GUARANTEE"

driftking

Wheel size expert
Id much prefer the current design over the new one, although it isnt, it looks skinny obvioulsy been used to the fatter frame and as said above it looks semi xc style , not geo or components to get that clear just frame shape.But not a bad looking frame
Like other bikes it will probably grow on me over time.
I think the design to change travel is awsome will deffinatly silence the people who say 10inchs is unessasary so dont get a v10.
Already been a machine of a bike, added adjustability is a good bonus.
Only thing that i guess would be a bit of a pain is the leverage ratio changes and mentioned in the video you will need to put a 50lbs lighter spring in it (of course not nessasary) and back off some of the settings, i guess as far as that goes thats goto be the only negative about the bike. for me anyway.
very keen on seeing the total weight was it posted?just read frame is 600grams lighter
Id deffinatly buy one and with the warrenty's noted above along with the testing that puts the strength issues at rest for me.

conclusion
That bike is awsome.

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Although the new frame is better in some places, i reckon it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the 2010 alu version. Keen to see different colours and build kits on it though, could look 10x better in the blur xc carbon colours and a different build. I reckon the price of this when it comes out will kill most peoples wallets.

Last edited:

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well after having a bitchy girly wine about the new frame , then going away and thinking about I have to say what a killer frame and i want one . The only shit thing will be stuffing around with springs for the different travel settings but after seeing that red one , well that frame covers all the angles .
What do people think the retail will be $4500 or $5500 ? When are they landing .

Timmy B

Likes Bikes
weight

someone mentioned something about it being 600g lighter for the frame. can anyone confirm this?
i'd like to know if the carbon fibre has made it much lighter or if it's for the strength.

driftking

Wheel size expert
someone mentioned something about it being 600g lighter for the frame. can anyone confirm this?
i'd like to know if the carbon fibre has made it much lighter or if it's for the strength.
Yeah i posted that before i have read two articles and it seems as frame weight goes its 600g lighter, another said the bike will be 900g lighter than last years team bike. I think the 900g is complete (production bike to be determined) and the 600g is just the frame saving. quite a significate saving.
As it is still in the prototype stage things may change but i cant see them changing the frame design too much only geo if anything. but it all seems quite dialled/tweeked so far.
Will be really good to see their final result with the lucky few owners showing them off.

heres the link already posted to the stated 900g team saving.
http://dirt.mpora.com/news/dirt-exclusive-santa-cruz-carbon-v10-4-testing-in-lousa-portugal.html

Im guessing they went carbon for strength and the weight saving while also keeping up with new technology. someone mentioned that carbon is alot stronger than ALU but i do wonder how strong it is when it comes to direct sharp hits from rocks. the testing they do is very impressive considering they supposably really over do the test and the frame holds up really well. But still doesnt answer the sharp fast direct hits.
I might do a bit of research into carbon and how it holds up under different stresses and forces applied. I dont have alot of confidence in carbon which im sure comes from lack of knowledge and alot of myths about it.
Hopefully they make a ALU version for not only people who prefer it but hopefully will be significantly cheaper.

Last edited:

brindog

Likes Dirt
I can't figure out why the Fury isn't on sale yet. It's been raced for two seasons now?
the fury has been on sale to public for quite a while, I enquired at my LBS ages a go when they first went on sale and the importer said they had already ran out of medium frames and they are only bring in small amounts in at a time. But yeah they retail a $8000, which seems ok as the DH-i was about $7000.

But yeah with the bagging of GT and then Santa Cruz brings out a carbon bike, and everyone wants one. And reckons its sick................................................. which it truly is RAD !!!!!!!!

Carbon is really strong, It would be hard to break, the only reason that would, and is stopping me getting a carbon DH sled is the shuttle trailers at races.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well this frame is made by Giant, as are all Santa Cruz carbon bikes, so it'll be interesting to see if there is a carbon glory in the pipeline. The standover height looks very familiar to a 951

BTW, I saw the new carbon nomad the other day. Quality is off the scale.

NOT made by Giant

Well this frame is made by Giant, as are all Santa Cruz carbon bikes, so it'll be interesting to see if there is a carbon glory in the pipeline. The standover height looks very familiar to a 951

BTW, I saw the new carbon nomad the other day. Quality is off the scale.
Sorry to burst the bubble, but NONE of SCBs' carbon frames are made by Giant - so please don't compare them to any other mass-produced carbon frames by the big guys
They are produced in a facility in China that only does SCB MTB frames using a unique process. I beleive they also do some road stuff and components; but at the moment, SCB have the only MTB frames using this process
It only takes one ride to realise they are on a different level to most other carbon (and alloy!) frames currently available