Carbon full face helmets

Mandy

Likes Bikes
So at the moment im looking into getting a full face helemt and i really like the six six one pro bravo carbon mainly just because i want something really light weight. Now a mate of mine told me that if you have a good stack and hit the helmet coz its carbon it is then screwed and you need a new one. I dont know if he is a very reliable source of information so i thought i would put it to you guys.

Here is the link on the helmet
http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_66...&product=250b7622-f54d-49c8-94ad-b90796a0d62e

Thanks in advance
Mandy

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Now a mate of mine told me that if you have a good stack and hit the helmet coz its carbon it is then screwed and you need a new one. I dont know if he is a very reliable source of information so i thought i would put it to you guys.
Your mate's pretty much right, but this isn't just limited to carbon helmets. All helmets (composite or carbon) are really only designed to take one "good" impact so to speak.
Obviously you're not going to throw away a helmet after each stack but if the helmet's suffered a substancial impact, bin it. Even if it looks intact, it's just not worth the risk.

Mandy

Likes Bikes
So a carbon helmet is capable of taking the same knocks of a regular before needing a new one???

The way he was talking if u hit the helmet its done with? I didnt wanna spend $200 to need to replace it after my first stack!!!

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
So a carbon helmet is capable of taking the same knocks of a regular before needing a new one???
It varies between brands. Some composite helmets are actually safer then the more expensive carbon models.
The way he was talking if u hit the helmet its done with? I didnt wanna spend $200 to need to replace it after my first stack!!!
Again, that's pretty much the story with any helmet. Whether it's a $200 661 Full Comp or a $700 Troy Lee Designs Carbon, you still should bin it if it's had a solid impact.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Theoretically you should replace a helmet that has taken ANY impact, although in practice, no-one does. That applies for all hemets from basic Rosebank K-mart cheapies to $1300 Arai road racing motorcycle lids.

Virtually all 'carbon fibre' helmets that look like carbon fibre are fibreglass with a carbon overlay, or fibreglass with carbon fibre in various degrees and positions in the laminate.

Helemts protect your head by having a hard shell of carbon/fibreglass, plain fibreglass or thermoplastic protecting the softer inner shell of hard polystyrene from puncture and abrasion. In an impact the hard outer shell bends and deforms , and transfers the impact to the polystyrene inner layer, which absorbs most of the impact. Polystyrene is very good at absorbing such impacts, however it does not return to it's original shape or density afterwards, leaving a gap between the outer shell and polystyrene, thus reducing the helmets impact absorbing qualities in that particular area.

The number one criteria when purchasing a helmet is fiit. If that 661 fits you the best I see no reason not to buy it, bearing in mind that most 'Carbon Fibre' helmets are in fact fibreglass with carbon fibre included in the weave and can actually be heavier than a helmet that doesn't have a carbon fibre cosmetic wrap on it.

Mandy

Likes Bikes
Yeah, I really just want something light weight and comes in small sizes. My motorbike helmet is a kids one so i dunno if i might need a kids mtb one too!

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Yeah, I really just want something light weight and comes in small sizes.
If you can find one and are willing to fork out the dough, Troy Lee make one of the lightest helmets on the market. Even their composite models are lighter then the oppositions carbon helmets. I've got a weenie head that limits me to only the Azonic or TLD brand helmets, so you should be allright with the sizing. Be warned though that they aren't cheap.

You can check out their lineup here

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Personally I wouldn't be too fussed about using a moto-x helmet on a bicycle myself. I have for years and never found the extra weight or lack of ventilation to be an issue. The main problem with weight in a helmet is the increased risk of neck injuries due to the extra inertia, but if you're already wearing a heavy moto-x lid, your neck muscles probably have a degree of conditioning that will go some way to preventing those sorts of injuries anyway.

The best sort of advice I could give regarding helmet selection is to try as many as you can on (including moto lids) and go for the best fitting one you can. You're already ahead by being used to a fairly heavy lid for motos, so just look at as many as you can and just get one that fits well. if it happens to be a motorcross helmet, get it.

(I'm assuming by motorbike, you mean off-road motorbike here)

Mandy

Likes Bikes
Yeh off road Motor bike but i havnt ridden for years (since sum prick stole my bike) but when i did ride i always had a sore neck from the helmet.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Anyone know of any shops that stock Troy lee helmets???? I think $375 for one of their carbons is okay if it means i am going to be more comfortable
Thats $375 U.S which equates to roughly $460-470 AUS + shipping, so you're looking at over $500 from that site... Even more if you buy it here.

But, as Squid said, its a damn fine helmet.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
take a look at the specialized deviant helmet its what im using and have never seen such a light and ventelated helmet and this is just the normal one not the carbon one, so that may be even lighter

GRIM

Likes Dirt
I think the Bike Shed at Mortdale has a few older D2 Troy Lee Helmets and Chain Reaction have one in stock.

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
yeah you'll pretty much need a new one. other than metal or plastic, carbon fibre dosnt ding it snaps and it snaps pretty easy

MTB-ChiK

Likes Dirt
Hey Mandy,

I have a 661 Pro Bravo Carbon that Im quite pleased with. Its about as light as my old Netti full face (which is just hand layered fibreglass) but there's nothing much to the design & materials in comparison. The Pro Bravo is a lot better.

The size I got is small and it fits very tight at the moment (still new) and needs to bed in some more. The ventilation is good and the padding is quite dense, especially around your ears which blocks out a lot of noise (not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet!)

If you can try one on before you buy that would be your best bet :)

Good luck

Jo

Pic c/o Atomizer