Capital Punishment is GO

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Results up... I count over 160 DNF's in the 100km, and that is without counting in those that 'short coursed'.

Started, finished, short coursed or DNF'd, you all deserve a medal for rocking up and giving it a crack.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Yeah only 502 finished the full course, I counted around 85 short coursed participants and the 140 odd DNFs... so it sounds like around 730 starters in the end with a lot of pre-race withdrawals.

I just got really annoyed in the Deeks forest bit, I finished in an overall time of about 8 hrs and it was absolute unrideable gloop by the time I got to it. Knowing there were perfectly good fire trails nearby I can't understand why they wouldn't reroute that bit when it was obvious before race start what conditions were unfolding.

I didn't find the singage that great either. Coming down a wet firetrail and getting bugger-all notice that you need to turn left into muddy single track. Very easy to go the wrong way in spots, had to back track twice to get back on course.

I quite enjoyed Kowen, there's something exciting about not knowing which way your wheels are going to go. Was over it the single track in the flat winding stuff in Majura especially those gully crossing, the mud had got the point where it collected on my rear tyre and I couldn't ride anything uphill... partly my fault for not having a decent mud-tyre on the back. Pretty happy to see the rest station at 60km - props to sponsors for having such a great amount of food at the rest stations - limitless gels, muesli bars and the rest :)

Really enjoyed Stromlo at the end even though it had started raining again by then and my front fork was locked out because the lock-out was jammed up. I think I had about 4 gears - but at least I had brakes ;)

What distance overall did people record on their computers/ GPS. I got 104km on my computer but my other half got 100.5 on his GPS.

Rookie

Likes Dirt
The single track through Deeks was a joke. Why didn't they just run us around on the off road trail up to Stromlo. I rode this on my way home after the event and it was perfect. I think most of my damage to chain and BB was done here.

Shame about the weather becuase if it was dry I think it would have been a greta event.
I came through there in 3rd in the 50k. It didn't seem to be a problem at all. I guess you can't predict just how much different parts will deteriorate. I actually thought that bit would have held up well. Other parts I thought would have been terrible after a bit more traffic I was told were not a problem by friends that finished later. I guess you can only do what you can do.

Tapeworm

Likes Bikes
Well this was my first ever mtb race and first time riding in the mud it was an... experience to say the least. Having done a lot of endurance events this is by far the hardest slog I've ever done. Whilst I was a bit miffed for having to cut out a bit of Stromlo I never thought there would have been any way I would have needed lights!

Whilst miserable I don't think the organisers should have cancelled (this is mtb after all right?) and by and large I was pretty impressed with the organisation overall. Warm showers and thermal blankies at the end would have been good ;)

I have a lot of questions regarding the technical/technique side of thing but will post those elsewhere rather than hijack the thread.

Bloodied, battered, sore all over, borderline hypothermia and bike needing some serious work. When's the next race? :D

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
I came through there in 3rd in the 50k. It didn't seem to be a problem at all. I guess you can't predict just how much different parts will deteriorate. I actually thought that bit would have held up well. Other parts I thought would have been terrible after a bit more traffic I was told were not a problem by friends that finished later. I guess you can only do what you can do.
Assuming you were also the third rider through that area then its not surprising it was fine. But after all the 50k riders had gone through it was a different story. i think what the original poster was trying to imply was maybe AROC should have been a bit more flexible during the race and possibly redirecting that section when they received feedback of its state.

Otherwise AROC did a great job with signage (didn't have a problem other than one detour-but that was my fault just following other riders), food stations were great, and thanks to all the volunteers who stood out in the rain, it was appreciated.

I don't think AROC could have cancelled this event with the amount of rain that had fallen over night. If you're going to compare with the Husky 100 they had probably three time the rain in the days prior and were still going ahead at around lunch time the day before. Never an easy decision. But probably given the information at the time the right one.
Mark

Last edited:

GeorgeT

Likes Bikes
I assume "short coursed" is where a rider misses a section but still goes through the finish. How do they determine this? Is it up to the rider to report in at the end?

jean5614

Likes Dirt
It is to be hoped that AROC will do something to repair the tracks. Especially at Majura. There should be some responsibility towards tracks that have been built up over years, rather than just using, trashing and leaving.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I assume "short coursed" is where a rider misses a section but still goes through the finish. How do they determine this? Is it up to the rider to report in at the end?
They had a cut off at the 90km mark (bottom of Stromlo). If you weren't there by 3:30 (or 4 if you had lights) then you were sent directly to the finish and skipped the 10k of Stromlo itself.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What distance overall did people record on their computers/ GPS. I got 104km on my computer but my other half got 100.5 on his GPS.
My GPS (Garmin 310xt) recorded 99.75km. The GPS based computers can sometimes read a little low when there is very twisty track due to the sampling rate, so my gut says your 104km is probably closer to the mark.

el nico

Squid
They had a cut off at the 90km mark (bottom of Stromlo). If you weren't there by 3:30 (or 4 if you had lights) then you were sent directly to the finish and skipped the 10k of Stromlo itself.
Unfortunately they shafted us with the short coursing. looks like they decided to change the deeks section to fire road and short coursed everyone from that time. although we wouldnt know because we were never told anything by race officials. We were at 90 ks well before 330 and got diverted to the finish. very grumpy with race organisers given we had slogged through 90ks of unrideable gloop by that stage. They also shut down the last feed station at about 230 which was shattering to people who were struggling to finish. Race time was 7:20 for 93ks so would have finished around 8ish. Changing the 'rules' without explanation was a big mistake and has taken the shine off what would have been a lot of satisfaction in just finishing what turned out to be a single speed no brakes mudslug!
I went through majura about midday and it was absolutely trashed. Unrideable for the last 4-5 ks. The 7ks took about an hour!!!! Someone (AROC?) needs to drive a dingo along all the trails and smooth them out so they don't dry in the state they are in.

On the plus side, quite a lot of giggles to be had being completely out of control at 30kph on rim deep mud!! Very glad that I couldn't decide on a new bike, probably would be crying now if had taken a new machine on that course!

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
Very glad that I couldn't decide on a new bike, probably would be crying now if had taken a new machine on that course!
Yeah - my new bike is pretty trashed - nothing inherently wrong with it but, in fact, I didn't have one problem whatsoever. No flats. No brake problems. No chain problems. kept all my gears.

Just some rather strange rotational noises - and needs an overhaul clean I suppose.

But I'm not so sure as to how to properly clean some parts - So luckily it's gonna come under the 3 months of free servicing I get from the LBS.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately they shafted us with the short coursing. looks like they decided to change the deeks section to fire road and short coursed everyone from that time. although we wouldnt know because we were never told anything by race officials. We were at 90 ks well before 330 and got diverted to the finish. very grumpy with race organisers given we had slogged through 90ks of unrideable gloop by that stage. They also shut down the last feed station at about 230 which was shattering to people who were struggling to finish. Race time was 7:20 for 93ks so would have finished around 8ish. Changing the 'rules' without explanation was a big mistake and has taken the shine off what would have been a lot of satisfaction in just finishing what turned out to be a single speed no brakes mudslug!
I went through majura about midday and it was absolutely trashed. Unrideable for the last 4-5 ks. The 7ks took about an hour!!!! Someone (AROC?) needs to drive a dingo along all the trails and smooth them out so they don't dry in the state they are in.

On the plus side, quite a lot of giggles to be had being completely out of control at 30kph on rim deep mud!! Very glad that I couldn't decide on a new bike, probably would be crying now if had taken a new machine on that course!
Yes, I have no idea what Deeks was like. I arrived at the last feed station to find oranges as the only food left - no water, nothing else. It was about 3:30 and from there the track was well signposted along the excellent fire roads to the crossing at Stromlo. I was told that after 4:00pm the last feed station would be the finish and any arriving competitors would be shuttled to Stromlo (another rule change??). My speedo said 94km at the finish.

My only real gripe was that AROC left all of us with cars at the start in the lurch! It was pitch black, finding your car was difficult, but then trying to get out of there in the mud was silly. So many cars bogged!! Big thanks to the guy in the 4WD who hauled us out!

Huge thanks to the course marshalls who spent all day out there in the rain - top effort.

Now, to all those people who chose not to turn up complaining about the event. You weren't there, you made your choice, don't complain about something you weren't a part of. To all those who slogged it out to the end, well done! We have bragging rights!

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Pain and relief to finish Capital punishment 2010, experience through my lens.
Nice shot, pretty much sums up the look on everyone's face at the finish.
I wouldn't want to be an event organiser in those conditions cos the decision to call an event, leaves you in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position, either way hindsight makes it very easy to decide what should and shouldn't be done.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
This may well have been a safety issue, I crossed the finish line at 3:30pm and while I was on Stromlo it pissed down with rain with lots of running water on the track and the fog starting to come in. Despite the early hour it was already getting pretty gloomy and very cold - I wasn't cold any where else on the course but on Stromlo I got very cold very quickly.

As for diverting Deeks - if they hadn't you might not have even got to the 90km mark before cut off - sounds like by diverting you on fire trails it was a lot faster as Deeks was several kms of walking through ankle deep mud - way worse than anything earlier on the course much worse than Majura.

I know it's frustrating but I guess if it's a big safety issue they don't have much choice.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
I'm with FR Drew. It was my responsibility to make the call as to whether to race or not. So the question is, why o why did I start? I spent 60k's dragging a foot on the downs to slow down, getting a flat in that last section of slop before stromlo, and generally having an unhappy time, before DNFing before the clmib up stromlo (discretion beat valour for once). If it were possible, it was much worse that the syd 24 2009, which for some reason I also persevered in despite the bike carnage. New disks, pads, brake bleed tonight, repacked BB last night... ouch!

But no fault of aroc- my thaks all the volo's especially for standing around all day to help out, much appreciated.

MCPC

Cannon Fodder
Short Coursing

I could've been the first rider to be re-directed around the Deeks Disaster. As I came through I saw the young bloke readjusting the red tape so that I went straight (along the fire road) rather than turning right and on into what was reportedly a big, big bog. I thought this may've meant I'd missed Stromlo, but it didn't as I was able to ride it without bother, for which I was very thankful - to have come all that way and miss the final hurrah would've sucked. I'd been hammering from about 78k in an effort to get to Stromlo before cut-off.

Probably lucky I missed that super-boggy section, as it may've been the time difference between me missing Stromlo and not. Next race I will pay more attention to cut-off, I hadn't even considered it for most of the day, especially when I was relaxing at the 60k feed station.

I finished in ~8:45, by the way, so Mr English can rest easy for the time being.

As for whether or not AROC should've cancelled it, some parts of me wanted someone else to stop me from doing what I was forcing myself through. I think at times we'd all rather have an external factor stop us from carrying on, rather than knowing it was our own decision to pull out. My brakes somehow made it through, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't, in stages, hoping for them to fail and allow me to abort due to a mechanical.

This year has been my first on a mountain bike, and farmers in drought stricken areas may want to stage an event and sponsor my attendance:

1) JetBlack 24 Hour at Wiseman's Ferry (trimmed to 12 hours due to torrential rain)
2) Husky Enduro at Callala Beach (postponed due to rain)
3) Australian 24 hr champs at Majura (showers but not too bad, I was having an off day)
4) Yesterday's debacle.

(Mr English may also want to help the farmers sponsor me too, as he seems to go alright whenever I'm around)

Yours truly,

The Rainmaker.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Started, finished, short coursed or DNF'd, you all deserve a medal for rocking up and giving it a crack.
Pretty much anyone who handed in their timing chip at Stromlo got one - it had a keychain attached and says "Punishment served 2010." ;)

I walked basically the entirity of Deek's Forest singletrack, and two guys rode in a little behind me. They rode all they could (still pushed over half of it) and I exited it 20 seconds behind them..;)

Kramer

FoBR
I pushed up almost all of the mud river at Deeks. Was very impressed with how great Stromlo was at the end of the day. Goes to show how much of a difference good trail construction makes in the worst conditions. I reckon get AROC to sponsor a whacker-packer for a lap of the trails at Majura before they dry out - should leave them super packed, and somewhat restored to their former condition.

I had a great time, even though I posted a much slower than planed 7:13. Regardless, an adventure was had!! Props to the organisers!