Can't work out how to fix my gears!!!!

bobb

Likes Bikes
I recently brought a second hand dh bike what came with a brand new sram X9 derailleur and sram X0 shifter. On the first couple rides the gears where running smooth and accurete but soon after gear two was skipping back a gear when shiftered either from first or third gear. I've tried fixing the gears by taking the derailleur and chain off and puting them back to gether but with no luck.
Can someone give a tip how to fix them would be much appreciated. :)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
assuming the hanger aren't bent and the cable runs smoothly and the rear derailleur stops are correct, then it's cable adjustment.

on a stand:
put it into the middle ring on the front and smallest gear on the back.

now as you are peddling, click up and down from small on rear to next gear up. If it hesitates going up, 'cable too lose', if it hesitates going down, 'cable too tight'. keep going (turning cable adjusters) at a quarter turn until it shifts up and down cleanly.

watch this yt vid.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
My bet is on cable adjustment.
If the bike was sold with new cable you get stretching over the first few rides and it's fairly apparent.
As other said check your hanger is straight and the parts are all good, which the by the sounds of it they are.
Then it comes down the gear adjusting. Really easy to do once you do it a few times and it's pretty common/easy adjustment that good to know how to do. For how easy it is, deffinitely not worth a lbs trip.
Make sure you check your cassette and chain wear too.