Cannondale SuperSix 25mm Tyres?

ac137

Squid
Hey,

Just wanted to know if anyone has, or has tried 25mm tyres on there SuperSix? I've done a bit of googling hand haven't come up with an answer.

Cheers

0psi

Eats Squid
Pretty certain you'll be fine, not's not till you get up to 28s that you start running into trouble.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Pretty certain you'll be fine, not's not till you get up to 28s that you start running into trouble.
I presume their clearances are the same as the caad's and if that is the case I saw a caad10 with 25's on it today.

ac137

Squid
Thanks, made the purchase of a supersix today. Just wanted to know if maybe down the track I wanted to put them on but not a big deal.

Its running full 105

0psi

Eats Squid
Possibly. I've never played with Sram brakes but I've noticed that the Tektro calipers I have on one of my bikes has significantly less clearance than both the Revl and Shimano calipers I have on other bikes. Still enough clearance to run a 25 tyre though but only just.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I have an alloy Scott speedster with 23x700c tyres and Scott branded brakes. Tyre clearance is minimal. How much taller are 25's?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You should be able to run 28s without too much trouble. You may need to deflate the tires to fit them in.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Works fine.

28s are for hybrids and touring bikes. You're riding a race bike. If you want to run 28s, you got the wrong bike.

edit: Sick bike, BTW, get out there and ride the snot out of it!

ac137

Squid
I was wondering about the 25's as maybe they might work better in the wet or on some rougher roads, but I think 23's will be fine for my application.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
I was running Conti GP4000 25's in my CAAD10 on Aksiums and I had clearance issues at the front. I had to run the front tyre at about 80psi otherwise it'd rub on the underside of te fork crown. I ended up rubbing away the paint back to bear carbon! No clearance issues on the rear however.

0psi

Eats Squid
I was running Conti GP4000 25's in my CAAD10 on Aksiums and I had clearance issues at the front. I had to run the front tyre at about 80psi otherwise it'd rub on the underside of te fork crown. I ended up rubbing away the paint back to bear carbon! No clearance issues on the rear however.
I thought this was a little strange so I grabbed a set of training wheels I have with 25s on them and stuck them on my Cannondale Slice. Heaps of room.

I'm thinking it might be more to do with the shape of the tire than actual size. Maybe the GP4000 sits a little higher (more oval) than some other tires :noidea:

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
0psi, that could very much be the case. Unfortunately I've not run anything but the GP's on the bike and have now reverted back to 23's. I'm in the market for a new wheels soon and am looking at a set that has a slightly wider rim. This may spread the tyre out and lessen the height so it avoids rubbing. I'll report back if I go down that path.

0psi

Eats Squid
I'm in the market for a new wheels soon and am looking at a set that has a slightly wider rim.
Don't do slightly wider, do A LOT wider!! I've got 24mm wide rims and they are just unbelievable, so smooth, so fast and never ending grip. I haven't found the limits of mine yet, they just seem to stick like glue to shit.

Have a look at Flo cycling, they've just brought out a 30mm deep wheels that weigh about 1500g and are bullshit cheap. I've got a set of their 60s and a disc, best wheels I've ever owned.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
I've had a look at the Flo's and they look really good, especially for the price! Only issue with them is you have to go on a waiting list, the next order won't be ready until October with shipping after and I need new wheels for a charity ride I'm doing in late October.
I'm thinking a set of Soul S3.0 or S4.0 could do the trick though.

0psi

Eats Squid
I could swear there's one sooner than that, they've done 3 or 4 this year. I'll double check the last e-mail and let you know. The Souls are okay but the Flo's are by far the best all round wheel I've ridden. Sure there are wheels that do certain things better but those wheels will also do many things worse.

The only two things that aren't great about them are weight and the freehub. They are a bit porkie (I've got the 60s but the 30s are fairly light) but once you spin them up they are noticeably quicker than most other wheels I've ridden. As for the free hub, well it's made of a soft cheese. You really need to be running a Sram red type cassette or you end up with massive gouges in the freehub body. The nipples are also internal which is a bit of a pain in the ass but given that the wheels are pretty bomb proof and hidden nipples (Giggedy) are a bit more aero it's not a huge issue.

For the good, they are bullshit fast, really stiff, the ride is awesome and the weight isn't that bad once you consider the only thing that will be significantly lighter is a carbon tubular wheel. I'll take the weight penalty for decent braking performance and not having to worry about flats. Last set of race wheels I had prior to my Flos were American Classic Carbon 58 Tubulars which I didn't ride that often because the braking performance was shite and I was always a little concerned about flats. They were also a little hairy in cross winds. None of these things are an issue with the Flos, plus you can just use them as wheels. I do about half my training on them which is great to get used to the way they handle.

I'll stop the infomercial there but I should point out that I am in no way affiliated with Flo, I paid for my wheels just like everyone else, I just really like them. They are the closest I've been to completely happy with a wheelset, just need to sort the freehub out, once they start making them out of Parmesan instead of Camembert they'll be perfect.

Back to topic!:bounce:

Last edited:

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info and your opinion if the Flo's, very helpful indeed. If they are doing an earlier run of the 30's I'd certainly be keen to know.

Right, back onto topic. Sorry to the OP.

ac137

Squid
+1 for the info as well, as I would have never known that wider rims make a difference to handling etc.

Why such limited quantities, are they relatively new or is FLO just a small company?

0psi

Eats Squid
Why such limited quantities, are they relatively new or is FLO just a small company?
Both. They are only a few years old and have only been selling wheels for 18 months or so. Everything is sold on pre-order at the moment as they just can't keep up with the demand. It's also only 2 brothers (Chris and John) that run everything and I do mean everything. R&D, packing orders, answering e-mails, the lot. I just don't know how they do it, longest I've waited for a response to an e-mail was about an hour. There is a heap of stuff I could tell you about them from the product itself to the company to the customer service but I'll refrain from doing so here. If there are a few people here that are interested in Flo and wide rims then maybe start a new thread, I could probably get the Flo brothers to chime in too, they're pretty good like that.