Cannondale RZ140 yeah na?

Science

Likes Dirt
Got my eyes on a dualy for trail work (state parks, fire trails) after finding my XC bike's head tube is rather steap, and makes for nervous decents.
Bike shop has a 2010 Cannondale RZ140 on the floor set to go at a great price, and before i lash out, i wonder if there is anything similar i should be looking at.

The bike was described to me as a "heavy trail" bike, has a 1.5" steer tube, but no through axle.
Also a single pivot rear end.

Pro's and cons?

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nothing wrong with single pivot rear ends..
I ride a Commencal Meta4 for xc use and would highly recommend it! Im even looking at going an Orange5 which is an even more basic single pivot..

I would really recommend a 15mm QR front axle though. The difference is considerable against a standard QR.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No Lefty? That's disappointing, mainly because the RZ came with Lefty's on the better speced ones. Unless this is a higher spec one that has had the Lefty switched out. The RZ frame is strong, light and looks good. Cannondale use the single pivot because it is simple and it works. And their warranty is very good for the frame. One crack = new frame.

They are not cheap bikes which is why you don't see many, but if you look at the MTBR reviews, the only complaints seem to be the value for money for the RRP, so if it is on special, makes this point moot.

I have a 09' Cannondale Rize 3 with a lefty, 130mm, 12kg with pedals (Few upgrades), and love it to bits for trail riding. Descents are a snack, doesn't pedal bob much going uphill. Don't be scared about a lefty, they are not dangerous, work great, and don't cost that much to service. I've only had to do a couple of bearing resets, which i found how to do on the MTBR Cannondale forum (Takes 10 minutes!).

Other bikes you could try are a Specialized Stumpjumper or Santa Cruz Blur. Or even look on bike exchange for an 09 Rize 3. There are still come for sale for $3000!

Take it for a test ride, you won't be disappointed.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I ride an 09 Rize 4 and very happy. Few upgrades along the way which were pretty much cost neutral after selling the old bits. Float RLC 150 with 15mm axle, XT running gear (except cranks which are Stylo Oct), XT brakes with Saint 4 pot caliper on the front (Hayes strokers are very wooden), Mavic Crossmax ST wheels with Maxxis Ardent 2.25 LUST, Noir carbon bars, reverb seat post and last mod XTR trail pedals. Very happy not the lightest bike around but very chuckable and great climber.

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
I had a Prophet for quite a while and have ridden the Rize and RZ 140.

Carbon or alloy? Lefty or Fox/RS? RP23?

For a simple rear end they work well. Not mega plush, but they do they job and are low maintenance. The Rize/RZ rear is better than the Prophet, IMO. The Lefty is good. The only issue with them is that they require a proprietary stem size (a diameter which I can't remember off the top of my head - it is not 1.5", even though the head tube is). This tends to be an issue because C'Dale spec longer than normal stem on their bikes, historically. At least that's how it has worked for me. The lefty max is at least as stiff, laterally, as a Fox 32 with a 15mm axle. The HA of a RZ is 69*. Not entirely slack by today's standards, but they are quite neutral handling. The RZ has a reasonably low BB, which maybe fine for you or not. It does improve handling but pedalling clearance can be an issue. They also have a long-ish wheelbase (typical Cannondale trail geo).

You need to ride it. Really.

Overall, they are a well built bike which descend well and climb well for their travel/weight.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
I have an 09 Rize 4 with the Fox forks and it is great. I run a 60mm stem and 710mm bars and find it a blast to ride. I had the chance to get anything from the speccy range earlier this year at great prices and could not justify it because the rize just does the job well.

I did ditch the stock wheels straight away as they are pretty heavy and am running full 2x10 XO, but that is due to upgraditis than an issue with the stock parts. In two years I have not touched the pivots or rear shock and can not feel any play or issues. Mine comes in at the mid 12kg mark.