AM Canfield Riot

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well the new frame has arrived. Raw finish looks stunning and hard to get right in photos. Have been super busy since it's arrived so I haven't found time to build it yet. Last night I installed the headset and BB before going off to a family function.

Can tell you straight off that the frame with shock/axle weighed in at 3.9kg. Compared to my Evil with shock/axle a/3.1kg. So with my Evil build currently sitting at 12.6kg I'm going to guess a finished weight of a touch over 13kg, which is not bad for a burley 140mm 29er

Only these pictures so far, will get it built Saturday morning at this stage, first impressions to follow!

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
This is one of the bikes on my current 'maybe' list. Had a 'the one' built up a few years back and it was bullet proof but way more bike than I needed.

Hurry up and build it you lazy sod so you can give a ride report

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Deeeaaaauuum that rear end looks LONG.

Saw one of these built up on Pinkbike this morning actually. Looked alright!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Might look long, but the chainstays are actually a super short 414mm. One of the reasons why I've been interested in this bike!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci

I doubt you'll find anything with a shorter rear end for 29er wheels.
413mm long chain stays.

Edit:- Beaten by Phil with his super fast stays ;-)

Hope you're at home building it and not at work.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At work unfortunately

Got a new sim wheel to install and setup tonight and then tomorrow morning it's time to strip the Evil and build the Riot!

moman

Likes Dirt
Love to hear your comparison between the Evil and the Canfield once you've had some time on it.......

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
my brother just built up a Rune in raw, looks amazing.... and I am guessing this thing will be sweet too!

looking forwards to the build!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I got it built up Saturday afternoon but only had time to give it quick fang around the block. Build was simple enough, just swapping over everything from the Evil. The only hose I had to shorten was the dropper.

Came out to 13.5kg, which is about .8kg heavier than the Evil, which was expected.

Straight off the bat the bike felt a little tighter in the cockpit, which I'm guessing has all to do with the steeper seat angle as the reach is longer on the Riot. I'll probably look at moving my saddle back a bit now thinking about it as I had it slammed pretty forward on the Evil due to it's slack SA.

Finally got a chance to hit the trails on Sunday but it all ended in disaster when at the bottom of the first decent my fiancé had a big stack and managed to dislocate her elbow

So I climbed the bike back to the top of the trail head and drove back around to get her and get to the hospital. Ended up in a hospital 2 hours from home as the local hospital we went to wasn't prepared to put it back in. Turns out elbow dislocations are pretty nasty due to the tendons and ligaments running through there. Ended up leaving her in the hospital at 11pm, getting home at 1am to pick up our kids who where staying at my parents. Then in the morning dropping them off with someone else and driving back to Ballarat to pick her up and come home. She's now in a light cast for two weeks and I've had to take some time off work to organise the kids etc. Man, what a couple of days!

Anyway, back to the bike. On the descent we did it felt a lot more composed over bumps in the rear end compared to the Evil, which was what I was hoping for. Obviously there's a lot more tuning to be done to the shock but it feels pretty good on the base tune.

In terms of climbing it didn't immediately wow me like the Evil did but it's still pretty darn efficient even without the climb switch. However out if the saddle it reminds me a lot of the Evil which is one of its strongest points. I'm hoping I can improve the seated climbing by adjusting my seat back a bit and building the slightly different muscles it's using at the moment due to the different position. Also didn't help I'm half way though a cold so my lungs are a little on the short side at the moment.

Onto pictures! Only phone pics so far sorry.

will2

Likes Dirt
I want to see that elbow! Hope she recovers easily.

Wow, the Riot is a stunner, so the Uprising was a bit untamed over successive bumps on the rear or just short jarring hits?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had/Have a Following. It's an incredible descender for a 120mm trail bike, but it suffers under successive chunder. Doesn't really hang up but it's definitely not a smooth carpet ride. I decided to try the Riot for a few reasons. Extra 20mm of travel in the rear, shock options, steeper SA and a threaded bottom bracket. Also, raw aluminium looks great and I don't have to worry about paint protection

No photos of the elbow out, only in her cast. It actually didn't look that bad, but she said it was the weirdest feeling moving her fingers etc.

slowmick

38-39"
zoiks, bummer for the good lay wife. sounds like an all round crap weekend. Hopefully you can get all the ducks back in a row and take the Riot out for a big test.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Home from work for the week as she can't look after the kids whilst she's in the cast. So after I dropped the kids off to kinder/ crèche I took the Riot for a spin on the local XC loop. 20kms of flat singletrack. No faster or slower than the Evil but it was definitely a lot smoother over some rooty sections and handled the tight switchbacks with ease.

Ended up clipping my bars on a tree and having a stack on a piece of single trail I've ridden probably over 100 times and never crashed. Starting to think this bike is bad luck haha. At least it was only some grazes in the usual spots. The fiancé was shaking her head when I told her

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Found myself in Ballarat, brought the bike. Last time I was here I was on the Following. Managed to PR every segment, up and down from the last time I was here. Note that the last time I was here it was after a bit of rain with a bit of standing water and this time was dry and loose.

Never felt for a second that I needed the climb switch on the shock so I'm really starting to lean towards trying a coil. I did notice the rear end wasn't very poppy but boy did it stick to the ground and track beautifully. Never once felt the extra weight and never felt like I had to get right over the front of the bike to stop it lifting on climbs.

Overall loving the bike and I haven't felt the urge to go back to the Following yet. Will be putting my 2.4 Ardent on to go with the 2.35 Ikon to complete my summer setup and try and dial in the shock a bit more.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Brought the bike to Forrest for a few days. Bike is soaking up the trails nicely. Currently running a Magic Mary front and Rock Razor rear combo.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, sure thing!

Canfield Riot (medium) (140mm travel)
Cane Creek CB Air CS
Rockshox Pike @140mm
29" Zelvy 40mm carbon, Hope Pro 2 hubs
2.35 Schwalbe Magic Mary front
2.35 Schwalbe Rock Razor rear
SRAM Guide RS Brakes
180mm/160mm rotors
XTR shifter