Canberra dominate first National Mountain Bike Series

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Canberra duo, Caroline Buchanan and Leigh Darrell took out the first round of the National Four Cross Series at Sydney Olympic Park today. Current National Four Cross Champion, Buchanan proved her recent crash at the World Championship had not got in the way of her gutsy riding style. Buchanan led early and stayed out of a crash between Sarsha Huntington (Brisbane) and Shannon Jobson (Blaxland). Sydney rider, Grace Ireland stayed out of trouble to finish second. Huntington rode in to claim third and Jobson fourth.

The men’s race was won by Leigh Darrell (Canberra) in a tough line up alongside inaugural winner, Alex Lloyd (St Clair); Thomas Hubert (Mereweather) and Timothy Dunn (Warrimoo).

“Thomas (Hubert) got a good start too. I wasn’t quite in front to block him into the first corner to block him right out,” explained Darrell.

A loss of control by Thomas Hubert in the third corner gave Darrell the lead he needed.

“.I just gave it everything I got in the last bit,” Darrell said.

With top riders like Luke Strom (East Blaxland) and defending national series winner, Terry Scarr (Raby) eliminated today in the quarter finals , Darrell will be certain to get challenged in tomorrow’s second round of the National Series.

“I’m going to try and come back and back it up,” said Darrell.

In the Under 19’s Canberra’s Aiden Nemet was a clear winner while only two hundredths of a second separated second and third. Adam Thalor (Oakflats) narrowly got second place with Queensland’s Rhys Willemse (Chambers Flat) being relegated to third. Fourth was Ryan Hunt (Mt Annan).

The second round of the National Mountain Cross Series continues tomorrow afternoon also at Sydney Olympic Park.

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia

demo man

Used to be cool.
I still think it's farkin weird that they're holding the first and second rounds of the National MTNX series at the same venue on the same weekend...

Anyway - props to Caroline (pinner!) and Leigh - and all the rest of the boys/girls.